The Student Room Group

PGDE Scotland *Secondary* 2016 entry

I applied for PGDE Secondary 2016 for Glasgow and Strathclyde just before the deadline on 15th January 2016.

Interested to hear if anyone (who applied around the same time) has heard anything from either uni? I've been asked by Glasgow to verify my qualifications to date but that's it. The radio silence is beginning to get to me.

** I'm happy to be redirected if there's already a PGDE Secondary thread - the one I've found is a mixture of Primary and Secondary and comments/news is mostly from people who applied some time before Christmas.**
Hi,

I have also applied to both for Secondary English, although I applied slightly earlier in November. What subject have you applied for? I know that Strathclyde are much quicker in giving out interviews and offers than Glasgow (I was offered a conditional place less than a week later after my interview). I had an interview for Glasgow on 8th January but haven't heard anything since, and I know that some subjects, such as Business, have later interview dates.

Good luck with you application!
Reply 2
Original post by mellow_yellow
Hi,

I have also applied to both for Secondary English, although I applied slightly earlier in November. What subject have you applied for? I know that Strathclyde are much quicker in giving out interviews and offers than Glasgow (I was offered a conditional place less than a week later after my interview). I had an interview for Glasgow on 8th January but haven't heard anything since, and I know that some subjects, such as Business, have later interview dates.

Good luck with you application!

Hi, I've applied for Modern Studies. I see on the other thread that quite a few people have offers but I haven't caught sight of any Modern Studies applicants - I expect each subject faculty moves at a different pace.

Hope you hear something positive soon.
Thank you, yeah it does seem quite hard to predict when they are going to get in touch - each uni and subject seems to have their own process as you say.

The other thread seems to be dominated by primary applicants. I don't know if you're a member of the Facebook group 'PGDE Scotland 2016 intake'? It's still mostly primary applicants, but there are a good number of secondary posts and I'm sure there has been some discussions about Modern Studies.

Hope you hear something soon too.
Reply 4
Original post by mellow_yellow
Thank you, yeah it does seem quite hard to predict when they are going to get in touch - each uni and subject seems to have their own process as you say.

The other thread seems to be dominated by primary applicants. I don't know if you're a member of the Facebook group 'PGDE Scotland 2016 intake'? It's still mostly primary applicants, but there are a good number of secondary posts and I'm sure there has been some discussions about Modern Studies.

Hope you hear something soon too.

Hi, yeah I picked up on the Facebook page via the other thread but guessed it might be mostly Primary - I'd also rather avoid revealing myself! Fingers crossed for news soon for us all!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm looking at 2017 entry following a masters, quick question for you guys though, how much school and/or other experience did you have before applying?
Reply 6
Original post by pjm600
I'm looking at 2017 entry following a masters, quick question for you guys though, how much school and/or other experience did you have before applying?

I don't have a huge amount of experience which might be an issue - combination of availability of my time and schools' willingness to accommodate. No idea if it'll go against me - or maybe already has since I've heard nothing as yet. Hoping for an interview at the very least but we'll see what happens.
Reply 7
Original post by Boring book
I don't have a huge amount of experience which might be an issue - combination of availability of my time and schools' willingness to accommodate. No idea if it'll go against me - or maybe already has since I've heard nothing as yet. Hoping for an interview at the very least but we'll see what happens.

Would you mind letting me know how you get on? The lack of clear guidance kind of makes it hard to plan. It'd be useful to hear how much anyone else has too.
Reply 8
Original post by pjm600
Would you mind letting me know how you get on? The lack of clear guidance kind of makes it hard to plan. It'd be useful to hear how much anyone else has too.

No problem at all, though I have to say I'm getting a bit edgy now.
Hello, I am in the same position. I applied before December and I have heard nothing. I exceed the entry requirements so I am starting to feel unresolved. Especially after reading about Primary applicants getting offers!

However, like you say, different subjects will most likely have different protocols/procedures. I suppose it is just a case of being patient; I wish I had a better answer.

Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications; you are not alone!
Reply 10
Original post by ScientificAspire
Hello, I am in the same position. I applied before December and I have heard nothing. I exceed the entry requirements so I am starting to feel unresolved. Especially after reading about Primary applicants getting offers!

However, like you say, different subjects will most likely have different protocols/procedures. I suppose it is just a case of being patient; I wish I had a better answer.

Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications; you are not alone!

And to you too. There seems to be some movement of some of the undergrad courses from Unis that've been slow. Hopefully we'll start getting something.
Reply 11
Hey there.

I applied at Aberdeen to do the PGDE Secondary and I have an Interview on the 2nd of March. Has anybody had an interview there and would like to give me tips on what to expect etc. Also how did your presentation go? I'm slightly worried about experience, I've had a nightmare trying to get into a school that doesn't clash with my University timetable, but I did a 6 month internship at an FE college, where I go back regularly to do lessons. Hopefully that will work in my favour.
Original post by duGG16
Hey there.

I applied at Aberdeen to do the PGDE Secondary and I have an Interview on the 2nd of March. Has anybody had an interview there and would like to give me tips on what to expect etc. Also how did your presentation go? I'm slightly worried about experience, I've had a nightmare trying to get into a school that doesn't clash with my University timetable, but I did a 6 month internship at an FE college, where I go back regularly to do lessons. Hopefully that will work in my favour.

Hi there! How did your interview go? Did you have to do a presentation too? I applied late to the postgraduate at Aberdeen, hoping to have an interview - any tips?

Quick Reply