The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out of 1st year and starting nursing instead

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by claireestelle
They ll have a list of people who met the necessary application score and if for any reason not enough people accept or meet their offer they then contact them.

Ahh thanks, that makes sense, first I heard of this. I was wondering the other day, my first choice uni for nursing takes 200 students, but surely if they hand out exactly 200 then say 30 chose another uni as this was not their first choice, and 10 do not meet the conditions. What happens to the 40 places? I assumed clearing but now makes sense they could have a reserve list - I imagine they'd let you know you were on it as this would be fairly last minute!
Original post by Nanodae
Ahh thanks, that makes sense, first I heard of this. I was wondering the other day, my first choice uni for nursing takes 200 students, but surely if they hand out exactly 200 then say 30 chose another uni as this was not their first choice, and 10 do not meet the conditions. What happens to the 40 places? I assumed clearing but now makes sense they could have a reserve list - I imagine they'd let you know you were on it as this would be fairly last minute!

Yes they would let you know some point after interview if you were on it.
I got onto my nursing course through clearing in 2011. I managed to get 5 interviews through clearing. I attended 2 and got offers and then didn't go to the last three as I felt that it would be fairer to give others a chance as I wanted to accept the second offer. So going through clearing is entirely possible. I qualified in 2014 and have been working as a registered nurse ever since. Like the OP I started off in another field (molecular biology). I even got a BSc and masters in that field before leaving to do nursing. It was the best thing I ever did. There's no point in getting stuck in something you have absolutely no interest in.
I think I have decided to do a PGDip after all. As I said I don't hate this degree and after talking to my mother this degree is one to fall back on if I change my mind about nursing. I know it's more years of study and another loan but I am getting on alright here, just decided on what I want to be :smile:
Would you be interested in a Higher National Diploma inHealth and Social Care instead? The course is 2 years, equivalent to first and secondyear at uni. You can go on to continuewith a top up programme at university and get the full Bachelor’s degree after.It’s a great alternative to conventional university degree courses and supportedby Student Finance England. Excellent pathway towards Nursing, Social Work, TeachingPsychology, Sociology, Health Studies, Social Policy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending