The Student Room Group

Doctor fears hidden measles threat after Melbourne anti-vaxer seeks covert help for h

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
In a post on the private Facebook page Vaccine Free Australia, Natasha O'Leary reported her unvaccinated, 12-month-old son had measles and asked members for advice on how to treat highly contagious disease naturally.

Dr Cunningham said unvaccinated children who contracted the virus were more likely to be hospitalised, and that children who were too young for the vaccine would be at risk because of the "poor decisions" of some parents.

"The poor child is suffering now from a disease that has a 1 in 1000 risk of permanent brain damage from encephalitis, which is inflammation of the actual brain tissue," he said.
"The rash that they get isn't just on the skin, it goes through their lungs, through their gastrointestinal tract."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doctor-fears-hidden-measles-threat-after-melbourne-antivaxer-seeks-covert-help-for-her-infected-child-20160212-gmsa3c.html

These 'anti-vaxers' make me so angry... how can you be against one of the greatest medical advances in history, and take the risk of giving your children a terrible disease that could have all too easily been prevented
http://www.antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html

Perhaps if vaccines were available singly, rather than in cocktails, there would be less fear of reactions. Also, additives in vaccines, such as Mercury, are stated by parents as a concern. I believe U.S.A. No longer allows its use.
Reply 2
If the unvaccinated people die or get brain damage, they won't pass on their stupid genes and everyone is happy.

Alternatively. they could be exiled to a remote island in the Arctic Circle where they won't infect anyone else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CUT THE BULL
Perhaps if vaccines were available singly, rather than in cocktails, there would be less fear of reactions. Also, additives in vaccines, such as Mercury, are stated by parents as a concern. I believe U.S.A. No longer allows its use.

They are avaliable singly, provided there is a medical reason for it. "Parents" ( as if these people are deserving of the title) don't understand what the majority of those additives are, and are simply scared of the big words in the ingredients list.

Anyone who proposes treating measles, or any serious disease naturally should have their children taken from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
They are avaliable singly, provided there is a medical reason for it. "Parents" ( as if these people are deserving of the title) don't understand what the majority of those additives are, and are simply scared of the big words in the ingredients list.

Anyone who proposes treating measles, or any serious disease naturally should have their children taken from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I merely pointed out what some of the concerns of people are. It is no good offering single vaccines to parents only when a child's health is already compromised. What about Mercury then? Everyone wants their children protected from infectious and other diseases. Your attitude is certainly not helpful. I hope you are neither a doctor nor medical student; if so you are in it for the money and/ or societal position rather than as a vocation. I am by no means anti-vaccine however, as a realist who doesn't have my head in the sand I am aware that there have been very many documented serious side effects both with swine flu and cervical cancer vaccines. Whooping cough vaccine has also been implicated in brain damage cases in the past. If you pretend the issues aren't there you can expect non-compliance and subsequently a danger to wider Public Health. If you expect parents to have their children vaccinated because an obvious ******** like yourself says they should then......
Reply 5
I merely pointed out what some of the concerns of people are. It is no good offering single vaccines to parents only when a child's health is already compromised. What about Mercury then? Everyone wants their children protected from infectious and other diseases. Your attitude is certainly not helpful. I hope you are neither a doctor nor medical student; if so you are in it for the money and/ or societal position rather than as a vocation. I am by no means anti-vaccine however, as a realist who doesn't have my head in the sand I am aware that there have been very many documented serious side effects both with swine flu and cervical cancer vaccines. Whooping cough vaccine has also been implicated in brain damage cases in the past. If you pretend the issues aren't there you can expect non-compliance and subsequently a danger to wider Public Health. If you expect parents to have their children vaccinated because an obvious ******** like yourself says they should then......

Mercury in vaccines has never been tied to any major side effects, again parents scared of scary sounding words. It was also banned in 1999 just in case.

The rare chance of a vaccine side effect is no reason to not vaccinate your children. In every case the chance of a side effect will be infinitesimal in comparison to the actual disease it is trying to stop killing your child. Every drug has a small risk of side effects, if that is your worry I hope you never use anything related to modern medicine. It'd make for a stronger gene pool at any rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Mercury in vaccines has never been tied to any major side effects, again parents scared of scary sounding words. It was also banned in 1999 just in case.

The rare chance of a vaccine side effect is no reason to not vaccinate your children. In every case the chance of a side effect will be infinitesimal in comparison to the actual disease it is trying to stop killing your child. Every drug has a small risk of side effects, if that is your worry I hope you never use anything related to modern medicine. It'd make for a stronger gene pool at any rate.

The distance from the horror of widespread and rampant communicable diseases has faded enough for conspiracy theorists and anti-science groups to get their claws in.

My grandmother had polio when she was young, and this wasn't some disease confined to the slums and poor hygiene; her grandfather was a knights bachelor and a wealthy businessman, this disease was no respecter of class. She had leg braces until she was about 7 or 8 if I recall correctly. In the generation just before hers, 50 to 100 million people died in the 1918 flu pandemic.

I think the same mindset can be applied to hardcore libertarians, who are so removed from the horror of what things were like before the welfare state, before municipal sanitation, that it's easy for them to recast it as a golden age of freedom rather than as a ****ing nightmare where hacking, tubercular children lived and died in slums by the millions.
Original post by Aj12
The rare chance of a vaccine side effect is no reason to not vaccinate your children. In every case the chance of a side effect will be infinitesimal in comparison to the actual disease it is trying to stop killing your child.

They are rare, but no doubt thanks in part to anti-vaxxers and the attitudes they evoke in those that know better can lead to them being overlooked, as I found to my detriment.

Original post by Aj12

Every drug has a small risk of side effects, if that is your worry I hope you never use anything related to modern medicine. It'd make for a stronger gene pool at any rate.

Much like this unpleasantness.
(edited 8 years ago)

Not all forms of mercury are the same, the additive derived from mercury is an organic form called thiomersal which degrades and is expelled from the body much faster than the types of mercury you may eat in fish in higher concentrations. It is not in a high enough concentration in vaccines to cause a toxic affect.

Not to mention after strong opposition from anti-vaxxers and generally just people who aren't educated on the matter who don't understand what they are talking about, thiomersal was removed from virtually all vaccines given to people as children. And it is worth noting that the removal of this additive did not see a decrease in the amount of children diagnosed with autism.

It is also worth noting that the symptoms of mercury toxicity are in no way consistent with autism. And it is also worth noting that the vaccine that was claimed to cause autism (MMR) from a doctor who has now had his license removed for falsifying data does not and has never contained thiomersal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
Not all forms of mercury are the same, the additive derived from mercury is an organic form called thiomersal which degrades and is expelled from the body much faster than the types of mercury you may eat in fish in higher concentrations. It is not in a high enough concentration in vaccines to cause a toxic affect.

Not to mention after strong opposition from anti-vaxxers and generally just people who aren't educated on the matter who don't understand what they are talking about, thiomersal was removed from virtually all vaccines given to people as children. And it is worth noting that the removal of this additive did not see a decrease in the amount of children diagnosed with autism.

It is also worth noting that the symptoms of mercury toxicity are in no way consistent with autism. And it is also worth noting that the vaccine that was claimed to cause autism (MMR) from a doctor who has now had his license removed for falsifying data does not and has never contained thiomersal.

I have not said that I am ant- vaccine, or anti- all vaccines; however , what I have done is try to point out to the two original posters, and the second one in particular( how obnoxious is he/she!) that merely insulting people that they are too stupid to understand and to do what they are told is counterproductive. If you want fullest compliance for public health sake you need to understand parents fears and then work with them to allay them. If parents are unsure, it is better to offer vaccines individually rather than a "take it or leave it" dictum of MMR. Some ,no doubt, in that case will choose to leave it. As regards other vaccines, there have been undeniably serious side effects with, for example, the cervical cancer vaccine( one brand more than another). These are not just statistics for the teenagers and young women involved. Perhaps you might wish to acquaint yourself better with the many cases of severe narcolepsy and death which have affected people. Possible side effects for this vaccine are glossed over in parental consent forms and teenagers are ill-informed as to the narrow and time limited protection they are actually getting. They just think they are now protected from cervical cancer, full stop. People are not stupid; the days of The Doctor being God and always knowing best are gone. I have experience of the effects of German measles, polio, and ASD but I also have experience of damage caused by whooping cough vaccine. The only way to ensure maximum uptake of vaccines is for the truth and risks to be openly faced and discussed. To pretend that parents are stupid to be concerned indicates that the medic is in the wrong job.
Reply 11
I have not said that I am ant- vaccine, or anti- all vaccines; however , what I have done is try to point out to the two original posters, and the second one in particular( how obnoxious is he/she!) that merely insulting people that they are too stupid to understand and to do what they are told is counterproductive. If you want fullest compliance for public health sake you need to understand parents fears and then work with them to allay them. If parents are unsure, it is better to offer vaccines individually rather than a "take it or leave it" dictum of MMR. Some ,no doubt, in that case will choose to leave it. As regards other vaccines, there have been undeniably serious side effects with, for example, the cervical cancer vaccine( one brand more than another). These are not just statistics for the teenagers and young women involved. Perhaps you might wish to acquaint yourself better with the many cases of severe narcolepsy and death which have affected people. Possible side effects for this vaccine are glossed over in parental consent forms and teenagers are ill-informed as to the narrow and time limited protection they are actually getting. They just think they are now protected from cervical cancer, full stop. People are not stupid; the days of The Doctor being God and always knowing best are gone. I have experience of the effects of German measles, polio, and ASD but I also have experience of damage caused by whooping cough vaccine. The only way to ensure maximum uptake of vaccines is for the truth and risks to be openly faced and discussed. To pretend that parents are stupid to be concerned indicates that the medic is in the wrong job.

Just the usual vax denier BS. If you don't want to be vaccinated, don't and suffer the consequences. Don't write a load of BS to try to justify it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Nowhere in my post did I call you an anti-vaxxer.
Original post by Maker
Just the usual vax denier BS. If you don't want to be vaccinated, don't and suffer the consequences. Don't write a load of BS to try to justify it.

I have been vaccinated ( as per my age group). Due to your age you may find that you are less well protected. Your little world, Bless! In the Valley of the Blind the one eyed man is king! You appear particularly ill-informed and are also off-topic, which if you refresh yourself with the original post you might grasp that it is PARENTS and WHY they might choose to decline to vaccinate their children and the consequences. Good-luck with persuading anyone.
Reply 14
I have been vaccinated ( as per my age group), you twerp. Due to your age you may find that you are less well protected. Your little world, Bless! In the Valley of the Blind the one eyed man is king! You appear particularly ill-informed and are also off-topic, which if you refresh yourself with the original post you might grasp that it is PARENTS and WHY they might choose to decline to vaccinate their children and the consequences. Good-luck with persuading anyone.

I don't want to persuade anyone, if they don't get vaccinated and die, thats a good result for the gene pool, gets rid of the stupid genes.

My kids have been vaccinated.
Reply 15
I think it's obvious to any reader of this thread where a repository of "stupid genes" (and a few others leading to undesirable human characteristics) might lie. I'd avoid the sperm bank if I were you, a decline to accept might be embarrassing.

lol
Original post by Maker
I don't want to persuade anyone, if they don't get vaccinated and die, thats a good result for the gene pool, gets rid of the stupid genes.

My kids have been vaccinated.

Bit harsh on those that can't safely recieve vaccines and rely on herd immunity, but i guess their genes aren't much cop either. Who needs new borns anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by knapdarloch
Bit harsh on those that can't safely recieve vaccines and rely on herd immunity, but i guess their genes aren't much kop either. Who needs new borns anyway.

Anti vaxers should be isolated from normal people. Its well known where these anti vaxers are and how they operate e.g. get exemption for religious or other BS reasons.

In some parts of San Francisco, nearly a third of school kids are not vaccinated. Its up to normal people to stop anti vaxers, if not they can't complain when they get infected.
Original post by Maker
Anti vaxers should be isolated from normal people. Its well known where these anti vaxers are and how they operate e.g. get exemption for religious or other BS reasons.

In some parts of San Francisco, nearly a third of school kids are not vaccinated. Its up to normal people to stop anti vaxers, if not they can't complain when they get infected.

Bad reactions to vaccines can happen, if a child suffers one and the parent is met with this kind of attitude i can see how they could easily be put off getting further vaccines.
Reply 19
Original post by knapdarloch
Bad reactions to vaccines can happen, if a child suffers one and the parent is met with this kind of attitude i can see how they could easily be put off getting further vaccines.

Parents need to educate themselves in the pros and cons of whatever treatment their kids have. They should also know no medical treatment is without risk, even taking an Asprin can have side effects. They need to wieght up the consequences of the side effects of vaccines with those of catching a dangerous disease.

If parents can't take a bit of straight talking to protect their kids, they should reconsider having any.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest