The Student Room Group

Homeless people's begging stories

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
Not fair, clearly homeless guy had some kind of mental issue or tourette's maybe

I hate it when people think "staff" should lick their arse. France is much better, their workers are enjoyably rude, other end of the scale is the US where their fake obsequity makes me cringe

Probably but that doesn't take away that it was a rude thing he said.

Of course they're no one's servant, and she probably had enough stress from the whole day to then deal with his problem.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Indeed they do, but it is not pleasant seeing a grown man in tatty clothing and a single cup asking for change.

It's not, but I don't like to judge people. The people that come through our doors come from all different backgrounds, as young as 16 and as old as 70. Having said that, giving money to someone begging in the street is not a good idea, it won't help them in the long run.
Original post by WBZ144
We have a benefit system and yes it prevents people from ending up on the streets in most situations but not everyone. You are speaking from a position of privilege, from your high horse. If you were to end up homeless one day, I'm sure that you would not want others to be so lacking in empathy.

Well at some point, people do slip through the cracks and end up in that situation.
I am proud of our benefit system that help people that need a chance in life.
Despite my social status, I still have to work hard like everyone else, as I am not expected to be handed everything.
Reply 43
Yeah the other day I was greeted by "John", he came up to me and asked for some spare change because he'd been "kicked out". He first wanted money for food then it turned to money for a train home. Which didnt make sense because he'd supposedly been "kicked out". Idiot couldn't keep his story straight, and unbeknownst to him I noticed his friend point me out as I walked out of a shop with cash in my hand.

Unfortunately he conned my mate about 30mins later and later that day we saw poor "John" buying crap from Cash Converters.
Original post by Eternalflames
I was queueing at the ATM and a homeless woman asked for some change, I gave her £2.20. Then when I got there and put my card in, she started telling me a story about how she's not from here, and she's from Ireland (but had an English accent). There was a lot of traffic, so I couldn't really hear her. Amongst her mumbling I heard 'being held hostage'?!, then I asked her, what does she want. She said she needed £25 pounds to spend a night at a B&B, I was like 'No, sorry I'm a student, I can't give out that much', then she started crying. I took my cash and went, then she started following me, crying 'Please help me, I'm begging you'. I ran into tesco which was close by, luckily she didn't come inside. I felt scared as hell that she might steal my wallet.
I suppose she could have just needed it to stay at a B&B, but one can never know for sure what she intended to do with the money.

What are the strange begging stories you've heard from homeless people?

I was in the train station and there were lots of pigeons around the seating area. To avoid the pigeons I went to stand at the side and left my backpack on the seat but was watching it the whole time. A homeless woman sat next to it and started glancing around, shiftily. She started edging her hands towards my backpack so I walked over and asked if it was bothering her. She said "Is this yours? Oh, I was about to hand it in". I picked up my backpack and turned to walk away when she said "Can you spare me some change please? It's my birthday and I'm trying to collect £15". I told her that I don't hand out "change" but would buy her a meal if she was hungry, she said she got food from the soup kitchen but needed money. Looking at her face I could tell that woman was a drug addict.
So 2 months ago. It was like a few days before Christmas.
I went to the shops to buy lunch (As I did most days back then) and there was some guy selling magasines/ catalogues.
One time I went to the shops he tried to hand me it and I didn't know what he was saying so I kinda took it then he started asking for £3 so I said no thanks and gave it back to him as at first I didn't know it costed money. But he kept saying it costs £3 so I just walked off.

Then a couple of days later I went to the same shops to buy lunch, that guy was there. He said something like are you buying a sandwich, So I went yeah. (I thought he was just asking if I was buying one as he saw me like 2 days ago buying the same thing, so maybe he was wondering if I buy the same thing often.)

So I came out of the shops walked past the man then he started following me and saying can I have it. I said I misunderstood you then he tried to take my sandwich off me so I just walked off.

After reading this it sounds really boring but oh well.
Original post by WBZ144
I was in the train station and there were lots of pigeons around the seating area. To avoid the pigeons I went to stand at the side and left my backpack on the seat but was watching it the whole time. A homeless woman sat next to it and started glancing around, shiftily. She started edging her hands towards my backpack so I walked over and asked if it was bothering her. She said "Is this yours? Oh, I was about to hand it in". I picked up my backpack and turned to walk away when she said "Can you spare me some change please? It's my birthday and I'm trying to collect £15". I told her that I don't hand out "change" but would buy her a meal if she was hungry, she said she got food from the soup kitchen but needed money. Looking at her face I could tell that woman was a drug addict.

I have no empathy towards drug addicts, they scum
Original post by Kholmes1
I went to the shops to buy lunch (As I did most days back then) and there was some guy selling magasines/ catalogues.
One time I went to the shops he tried to hand me it and I didn't know what he was saying so I kinda took it then he started asking for £3 so I said no thanks and gave it back to him as at first I didn't know it costed money. But he kept saying it costs £3 so I just walked off.

Then a couple of days later I went to the same shops to buy lunch, that guy was there. He said something like are you buying a sandwich, So I went yeah. (I thought he was just asking if I was buying one as he saw me like 2 days ago buying the same thing, so maybe he was wondering if I buy the same thing often.)

So I came out of the shops walked past the man then he started following me and saying can I have it. I said I misunderstood you then he tried to take my sandwich off me so I just walked off.

You were unfairly harassed and stalked, and that man should not be allowed to walk the streets

Not boring.. I'm pretty intrigued. So he just took your sandwich and ate it??
Original post by Blue_Mason
You were unfairly harassed and stalked, and that man should not be allowed to walk the streets

Sorry when I said followed. It was like less then 10 meters. Should have made that clearer.
Original post by WBZ144

It's when they ask for high amount do you know they might have a drug problem. Never leave your stuff unattended! Once, I was at heathrow airport and we were at the gates where you go through to security check and I was getting my boarding pass out of my bag and left my suitcase for like literally 5 seconds to get it out. Then this American guy swipes it away, and goes through the gates. I look back and it's gone, then this elderly man in the queue shouted at the security guard "He's got her bag!!" They stopped him and he was like 'Oh I thought it was mine' Dick. I had a near heart attack because I felt so careless. Luckily we got the bag back, but it just shows how quick they can work. One look away and it can be gone
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Not boring.. I'm pretty intrigued. So he just took your sandwich and ate it??

He tried to take it off me. Then I tried to explain to him that I misunderstood what he said and that I bought it for me. He wasn't really getting it and carried on asking for it so I just walked off.
I remember being 15 and a man and his friend were on my train and the man was like "I'm homeless and haven't showered in days" but my friend and I looked at him and saw how clean he was and he seemed drunk anyway. Everyone just ignored them and they went to the next carriage. Two other people have come up to me asking for money a woman asked for a sandwich but I didn't have change. I have given money to a homeless man who was on the streets though at least it was something.
He tried to take it off me. Then I tried to explain to him that I misunderstood what he said and that I bought it for me. He wasn't really getting it and carried on asking for it so I just walked off.

Ah.. I thought he succeeded in taking it off you for the second time. I'd feel pretty alarmed if someone tried tackling my food :erm:

Yeh, I always walk of and say sorry whenever I pass a homeless person.. I never stay to hear them speak.
It's one of the things I notice most about London from moving here from Glasgow. In Glasgow you have your general drunk guys etc and they might come up to you but will usually leave you be if you say no. In London it just makes me sad to see so many rough sleepers, they don't ask for anything, they're not begging they're just everywhere. Charing Cross area especially I've noticed. I don't really have any stories except ones seen above such as the trains and such. I don't give money to people as I work in the charity sector so I know there are better ways to help such as contacting Streetlink.
Original post by kandykissesxox
I'll keep this in mind. Thank you for making me aware of this. :smile:

Don't listen to that idiot, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Original post by AliRizzo
Don't listen to that idiot, he has no idea what he's talking about.

What do you get from insulting me?
Original post by lyrical_lie
It's one of the things I notice most about London from moving here from Glasgow. In Glasgow you have your general drunk guys etc and they might come up to you but will usually leave you be if you say no. In London it just makes me sad to see so many rough sleepers, they don't ask for anything, they're not begging they're just everywhere. Charing Cross area especially I've noticed. I don't really have any stories except ones seen above such as the trains and such. I don't give money to people as I work in the charity sector so I know there are better ways to help such as contacting Streetlink.

I think it would be best if they were placed in a more suitable area, as it I inhumane to just let them sleep on the pavement plus it is not a pleasant site
I was locking my bike up to go into tesco to get some stuff for breakfast and was asked for change. I explained I didn't have change but a card and was going to buy some stuff from tesco if I could get him something. He almost immediately asked for prawns as it's "brain food". I've never really liked seafood and recently become vegetarian, but was pretty sure prawns ain't cheap and was a bit taken aback by this request. I justified my slightly stunned expression by explaining I don't eat meat or really know where to begin with buying prawns. He listed lots of meat he said he doesn't eat or like and said something about being a fishmonger in the past (possibly from his home country). Then another guy came out from the sainsbury's next to the tesco I was about to go in with a ham and mustard sandwich for him. He said thanks and once the guy left said he would have to give it to someone else, what with him just listing all the meat he doesn't like.

I asked if they do prawn sandwiches or something and he said he didn't like bread. He offered to come in with me and asked a shop assistant where the prawns were, and picked the £3.50 seafood selection with prawns and similar things in, rather than the pack of just prawns for £3, and then he waited outside for me.
I was a bit shocked by the upfront-ness of this, but can understand that if you don't ask you don't get, and that while "normal" people wouldn't feel too comfortable being that way if forced to start begging, that after a while people will build up a bit of a shell or lack of shame necessary in order to get what you need/want.
I felt a bit cheated because my wife wasn't working at the time and I was particularly conscious of not having much money to spare and it nearly doubled my bill.
When I came out with the prawns, he went into the costa opposite to get a plastic fork and walked off eating them.

I've seen this guy a lot, and I'm not sure how homeless he is, but I don't think he's a professional beggar with dirty dreadlocks to help himself look more legitimately homeless. Some people pretend to be homeless and beg for drugs, but like other people have said, drug addiction is pretty terrible and it's not a moral issue of whether someone is "scummy" for taking drugs and being addicted or not. Most drug use is self-medicating for other problems. As much as two-thirds of drug addicts are victims of child abuse. We'll take pity on child abuse victims and give to children in need, but when the teens become yobs with abscess and start dealing drugs and taking drugs to numb the pain and end up on the streets, they become "lazy, stinky, scrounging drug addicts" that we should only buy food for.

As a few comedians have said something along the lines of:
"I see them and feel bad for them, thinking I'll give them some money for something to eat. Then think oh no, what if they blow it on drink and drugs. Then think, wait - that's exactly what I'm going to spend my money on."
and as someone mentioned before, if you're homeless or have a place to stay but have mental health issues, it's hardly surprising that one would turn to drugs to fill a hole that lacking good mental health and relationships with others has created.

People that jump to vilify other's misfortune or perceived immorality often will be experiencing the cognitive bias known as the Empathy Gap, which ironically taking some (illegal) drugs could help with :P
There are these tissue beggars who essentially live on the northern line (a line I travel on everyday), claiming that they are homeless and have 1 child, but they can still afford a ticket or oyster card payment, all of the tissues and to print off all of the notes, which I find strange.

Quick Reply