The Student Room Group

How do I start my revision?

There's less than 4 months till my first exam, and its really hit me that I need to start.
My goal is to aim for the highest grades possible of course, however I just don't know where to start for my revision, and how I should go about it. After stressing over my thoughts of how the heck im going to start, I hopped along this site, and decided to ask for your guys thoughts on how I should start. My current grades are not what I'm wanting on result day as their sitting on B/C, and at best I want to secure all of them at a B (mainly the three sciences). If anyone could help guide me a path to success I would be very grateful.
Bit since ive done this and am sure there are plenty of books on exam skills.

1. I make a plan with a to do list covering all the issues I need to deal with.
2. Part of that is to look at each subject, break it down into topics amd start making a timetable.That is based on breaking up each day into revision periods like lessons. I then spread out my plan of study by dividing all my subjects into the available slots. I build in some leeway with free periods,days off etc. The aim is to have revised everything by the due dates. Dont forget to put your exam dates in there and spread your revision so you know youfinish each subject as they fall due.
3. Dont forget to factor in some mock exams.
4. What you need is to be realistic and put consistent effort in. keep checking each week to see where you are on course and where you need more. Adjust as needed.
5. You should already have a good set of revision notes. if not start making them.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Bit since ive done this and am sure there are plenty of books on exam skills.

1. I make a plan with a to do list covering all the issues I need to deal with.
2. Part of that is to look at each subject, break it down into topics amd start making a timetable.That is based on breaking up each day into revision periods like lessons. I then spread out my plan of study by dividing all my subjects into the available slots. I build in some leeway with free periods,days off etc. The aim is to have revised everything by the due dates. Dont forget to put your exam dates in there and spread your revision so you know youfinish each subject as they fall due.
3. Dont forget to factor in some mock exams.
4. What you need is to be realistic and put consistent effort in. keep checking each week to see where you are on course and where you need more. Adjust as needed.
5. You should already have a good set of revision notes. if not start making them.

In these revision time slots how should I focus on revising the topics? I thought about making flashcards and was wondering if its a better idea than just writing notes out.
Im surpised you could get this far without knowing how to revise. Say you have a 2hr slot then revise a subject or topic.

see if you can remember/ bullet point key points
can you answer questions on it?.
Are your notes good enough?

Repeat for all the other slots.

I think people learn in a way that suits them, flashcards, reading, note taking. exam question answering.

Go and follow the links on this site - right hand side for free resources. on how to revise.

4 months is not a long time c 1 month per subject, so you need to get on with it.

Theres a guide here and plenty more if you google.

Consistent planned effort plus exam papers imo.

http://www.wikihow.com/Revise-Successfully
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JustSomeDude
There's less than 4 months till my first exam, and its really hit me that I need to start.
My goal is to aim for the highest grades possible of course, however I just don't know where to start for my revision, and how I should go about it. After stressing over my thoughts of how the heck im going to start, I hopped along this site, and decided to ask for your guys thoughts on how I should start. My current grades are not what I'm wanting on result day as their sitting on B/C, and at best I want to secure all of them at a B (mainly the three sciences). If anyone could help guide me a path to success I would be very grateful.

Hello,

I'd recommend that you take the time to make a revision timetable plan thingy on the following website:

https://getrevising.co.uk/

I found it really helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop focusing on how to start and just do it! Once you start you'll get the hang of it. Start by making notes and covering the whole spec. Also don't worry if you have started late alot of people still haven't started revising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending