The Student Room Group

When is it appropriate for a guy to hug a girl friend?

I am a bit awkward when it comes to social situations and I have several female friends that I sometimes hang out with and I'm close with a few couple of them. Whenever I'm out with my other mates, they tend to hug their female friends after a night out before saying goodbye. I'm talking about strictly platonic friends here, not boyfriend/girlfriend. I just don't know when is the right time to do this because some of my friends are close but they don't reach out to hug me like some other girls do to their guy friends.

So next time should I reach out to try and hug a girl or just be like "bye. see you next week", wave and walk off like I usually do?
It shouldn't matter what their gender is, if you feel close with them and feel like you would both feel comfortable having one another, offer them one :smile:
depends how close you are, there are those i would hug literally any time i felt like it, others only when we see each other (say hi)/saying goodbye, others never
any age i guess
Reply 4
I've always hugged my platonic male friends goodbye.. It's just something we've always done. As soon as we go to leave we instinctively reach for a hug, I'd say if you want to hug them bye then go for it but don't feel pressured to just because your other male friends do. Could be the girls think you don't like being touched or hugged much or something so they don't instigate.
Really, you're socially awkward that you're concerned about that? I'm so socially awkward that I don't have any girl friends. Or any friends for that matter.

You've done great so far, in comparison with me anyway, so let your mind be at rest and take a chance, what's the worst that can happen?
Reply 6
Original post by Katarvi
I've always hugged my platonic male friends goodbye.. It's just something we've always done. As soon as we go to leave we instinctively reach for a hug, I'd say if you want to hug them bye then go for it but don't feel pressured to just because your other male friends do. Could be the girls think you don't like being touched or hugged much or something so they don't instigate.

But when we are saying our goodbyes, there is no instinctive reach for a hug from either of us. Sometimes I wait for them to reach out but they don't. I definitely don't smell or anything like that so I don't know why!

It's just a bit awkward when I wave them goodbye, as in the whole exchange is a bit awkward.

Original post by lawyer12345
depends how close you are, there are those i would hug literally any time i felt like it, others only when we see each other (say hi)/saying goodbye, others never

Well I may hug someone I hadn't seen in a while, if it was a girl, but that I can totally understand because I haven't seen them in ages. But when it's someone I see frequently, like if they were in my class then it just doesn't feel right to keep hugging them every day.
Well it should be normal to hug them as a greeting or when you're leaving, but there's no right time. If they're you're friends and not awkward as well then if you're nearby and you go for a hug, they'll probably hug you back.
I just do a fist bump or just say bye.
Reply 9
Original post by similarBlank
so let your mind be at rest and take a chance, what's the worst that can happen?

We're just friends remember, I don't want them to think I'm making advancements on them
Next time you say goodbye just go "C'mere" and pull them into a friendly hug. It's no big deal. :h:
Original post by Katarvi
Next time you say goodbye just go "C'mere" and pull them into a friendly hug. It's no big deal. :h:

Isn't that weird? I've never done anything like that before so they might be taken aback by it and be scared off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending