The Student Room Group

Cfe Higher Accounting

Has anyone done/doing this course? Might do it next year (I'm in s5 atm) but want to know what it's like and how difficult it is. Anyone?
Reply 1
Original post by Stair56
Has anyone done/doing this course? Might do it next year (I'm in s5 atm) but want to know what it's like and how difficult it is. Anyone?

I did CfE Higher Accounting last year (S5) and I found it fairly easy and enjoyable

I had done N5 so that made things a little easier, however, there were a few S6s crashing the course in my class.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not that similar to Maths (at least not Maths at N5 or above). I think though that the skills used are pretty similar to those used in Maths (analytical, problem solving).

The number work in the course is pretty straightforward. The most important parts are to remember layouts and there is also a fairly substantial amount (but not too much) of theory to learn.

I enjoyed studying Accounting and it is the subject I wish to pursue at university so just let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks so much. I'm thinking about doing it at uni aswell after s6. I'm guessing universities quite like you having a subject which you are going to study at their uni.

Did the s6's in your class find it challenging or did they pick it up quickly? Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Stair56
Thanks so much. I'm thinking about doing it at uni aswell after s6. I'm guessing universities quite like you having a subject which you are going to study at their uni.

Did the s6's in your class find it challenging or did they pick it up quickly? Thanks

You're welcome. :smile:

Yeah I'd imagine it's a plus to have some experience in the subject before going.

I'm not really sure to be honest. From what I saw, the ones who actually worked hard enough in class/at home etc were the ones who did better. The ones who didn't generally didn't do particularly well. It's definitely not a subject you can easily get a Higher in without much work (a lot of people say Higher Business is one of these but I'd take that with a pinch of salt). Saying that, I wouldn't say it's a particularly difficult Higher contrary to common belief but it depends on your skill set and, most importantly, your work ethic.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Thats good to hear. One last question, what is the project/assignment like?
Reply 5
Original post by Stair56
Thats good to hear. One last question, what is the project/assignment like?

The assignment is basically just like a little Accounting project where you complete certain accounts/ratios and comment on them. I also had to write a report detailing my findings and advising the business what options they should take etc. It really wasn't too bad. Difficult to get full marks but very possible to do fairly well.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending