The Student Room Group

Has being "offended" become a professional industry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
do you realize how offensive that is to people who are unable to read ? :fuhrer:

is there no end to your wickedness ?

Uh-oh. :getmecoat:

Dnt kill me plz
Original post by Quantex
Yes, and it is something that is spread throughout the political spectrum. Just look at Bahar Mustafa, a previously irrelevant diversity officer who rose to fame simply because people were lining up for the opportunity to be offended by her.
Or Katie Hopkins who makes a living out of being offended by people being offended.

you...you have gone on the

Spoiler

[scrollr]:yay:[/scrollr]

[scroll]:ymca:[/scroll]

[scrollr]:yay:[/scrollr]
TSR is a great example of people being offended for no reason.... "OMG you eat meat? TRIGGERED"

America is just a cesspool of pathetically offended people though
Yep, it has, in the form of third wave feminists.

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Yep, it has, in the form of third wave feminists.

Spoiler

I don't want to know what will be the fourth wave. :hide:
Original post by Josb
I don't want to know what will be the fourth wave. :hide:

Indeed. Look at youtubers like anti sarkesian and their generous patreon donations.
This thread title triggers me and I am seriously offended!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want special treatment NOW!!
I hate when people read too much into things & get offended over really small things, it's like "why so serious?". I'm generally a light-hearted person myself so it can often be very annoying!
Reply 29
Not as much as being offensive. Look at all those Alt right youtube personalities.
Reply 30
Far too many people are too quick to take offence, and many try to find as many reasons as possible to be offended.

This occurs across the political spectrum. Many Trump supporters, and Brexit supporters, get offended when "liberals" make generalizations about them, or insult them, or say nasty things about them and their levels of education. Despite many of these same people admirably taking a stance against cultural relativism, they suddenly start saying that "liberals" should respect the Trump-supporting culture of the Deep South, or the Brexit-supporting culture of 'Middle England'.

And, of course, on university campuses and elsewhere, some people concerned about social justice take offence far too easily, hide in safe spaces and claim that they have been micro-aggressed.

That said, far too many people who really are being sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic - and so on - now claim that people who vehemently oppose their views are being "politically correct" as opposed to decent human beings.
(edited 7 years ago)
OP you didn't put a trigger warning in the title :angry: Pissed in my cereal that has. My safe space is in tatters :afraid:
Yes. Human rights lawyers
I have just received a yellow card from TSR for "offensive" and "discrimination".
I wonder what they didn't like exactly.
Can't be bothered to wheel out that stephen fry quote but that sums it all up entirely.

People have a right to feel offended but that right shouldn't affect anything, it shouldnt lead to safe spaces or trigger warning or p'reople being censored. If you are offended by something just suck it up an move on.
1300- Im dieing from the plague
1800- im a child working in a factory
1900- I have to go and fight in a war
Today- I AM OFFENDED

SMH
Original post by Lady Comstock
I think it has.

Someone, usually a public figure, says or does something that "professional offendees" jump on because they find a way to construe the statement or act in a way that might offend at least one person or a handful of people.
true.

I also find that professional offendees are deeply offensive. They are crowding out us amateur offendees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending