The Student Room Group

Has being "offended" become a professional industry?

I think it has.

Someone, usually a public figure, says or does something that "professional offendees" jump on because they find a way to construe the statement or act in a way that might offend at least one person or a handful of people.

Professional offendees are paid to write articles on being offended; they are paid to give interviews; they are paid to work in charities and other organisations which publish statements saying how offended they are; they are paid to try and change the law to become more draconian; they are paid to publish books on the topic, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Yea it kills discourse and therefore people splinter off, people get angry (the ones who repress their views) and nothing ever gets a solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by reaver daniels
political correctness is an evil that rivals the censorship in stalin's russia or hitler's germany.

lol. 10/10
Yeah, some people do go out of their way to find everything offensive.
Original post by Lady Comstock
I think it has.

Someone, usually a public figure, says or does something that "professional offendees" jump on because they find a way to construe the statement or act in a way that might offend at least one person or a handful of people.

Professional offendees are paid to write articles on being offended; they are paid to give interviews; they are paid to work in charities and other organisations which publish statements saying how offended they are; they are paid to try and change the law to become more draconian; they are paid to publish books on the topic, etc.

*breaking news*

Oxford to establish first chair in Butthurt Studies at the Institute of Self Pity. A statue of that Batmanjelly woman is to erected outside.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Lol, I'm visiting Oxford uni today. Ironic that you should say that. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps my post offended you ? You can claim compensation. Anonymously ofc.

:mad:
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Oh absolutely, I'm so deeply offended that I think I'll go to my safe space. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget that my post may have offended many other people who are too afraid to come forward. You can help these tragic victims by publicising the way i have treated you.

:nopity:
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
*breaking news*

Oxford to establish first chair in Butthurt Studies at the Institute of Self Pity. A statue of that Batmanjelly woman is to erected outside.

I am offended by your phallocratic language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I am offended by your phallocrat language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.

the first holder of the Chair of Butthurt Studies is shortly to be announced. the favorite is Ms Millicent Tant currently Assistant Dean of Wimmin's Things at the University of Spunkbridge.

Original post by Josb
I am offended by your phallocratic language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.

:ahee:
Reply 10

:ahee:

:rofl:
No offence but I think it has.
Original post by Mystery.
No offence but I think it has.

Offence taken.

:mob:
Offence taken.

:mob:

Offence wasn't intended. :eek2:
Offence wasn't intended. :eek2:

that is neither here nor there. your persistent refusal to accept responsibility for the hurt to my feelings just makes it worse.

:cry2:
Yes, and it is something that is spread throughout the political spectrum. Just look at Bahar Mustafa, a previously irrelevant diversity officer who rose to fame simply because people were lining up for the opportunity to be offended by her.
Or Katie Hopkins who makes a living out of being offended by people being offended.
that is neither here nor there. your persistent refusal to accept responsibility for the hurt to my feelings just makes it worse.

:cry2:

Noo, I apologise. Forgive me?
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..
:dong:
Noo, I apologise. Forgive me?
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..
:dong:

:hand: my lawyer will be in touch.
:hand: my lawyer will be in touch.

Looking forward to reading a book about this. :colonhash:
Looking forward to reading a book about this. :colonhash:

do you realize how offensive that is to people who are unable to read ? :fuhrer:

is there no end to your wickedness ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending