The Student Room Group

Friend gets girlfriend and decides she's the reason he's still alive...

Yeah. Really.

I've known this guy for about 3 years. He's got his first girlfriend and they've been together for about 2 months now. He's depressed, always has been, but told me that she's the reason he's still alive and that he hates everything else, to which I responded, "gee thanks".

It's such a shame how someone who's been there for their friend for this long has been put behind this girl who he's only just met. Not to mention that their relationship is extremely dysfunctional too. He found out she cuts herself, and instead of helping her see someone, he's gone and done it too out of pure inspiration.

Am I being a dick about this, or do I have a right to be mad? It's such a shame how friends don't matter anymore. Seems that all a person needs is a little **** and they can put everything else behind them. I honestly have no doubt he'll kill himself when this blows over.
Reply 1
He sounds like a prat.

Still, there is a different level of intimacy between a friend and girlfriend, it's not just about sex, I have quite a few friends and while I trust, respect and look out for them I do not feel the same way as when around partner(s) or at least the one I actually liked the most.
Reply 2
If he's depressed then the line between what's true and false is going to be blurry.
Original post by Joel 96
Yeah. Really.

I've known this guy for about 3 years. He's got his first girlfriend and they've been together for about 2 months now. He's depressed, always has been, but told me that she's the reason he's still alive and that he hates everything else, to which I responded, "gee thanks".

It's such a shame how someone who's been there for their friend for this long has been put behind this girl who he's only just met. Not to mention that their relationship is extremely dysfunctional too. He found out she cuts herself, and instead of helping her see someone, he's gone and done it too out of pure inspiration.

Am I being a dick about this, or do I have a right to be mad? It's such a shame how friends don't matter anymore. Seems that all a person needs is a little **** and they can put everything else behind them. I honestly have no doubt he'll kill himself when this blows over.

immature, so so immature
Reply 4
Original post by Joel 96
Yeah. Really.

You are mad, that is what you are. You having a right to be mad or not doesn't the fact that you are mad. Same with you being upset and hurt by what he said. The problems comes if you tell him that you are mad, upset and hurt by what he said and he gets annoyed at you for being so. Then he is a dick and someone who shouldn't be your friend. However if he accepts that it hurt you and tries to explain how he was feeling and make you feel better. Then you know he is a good friend and it will bring you closer together.

If it helps at all. I know exactly how you feel. I have had the same thing happen to me over the past 4 months. I know how both of you feel.
Reply 5
Original post by Justmoll28
immature, so so immature

Who?
Original post by Alfed
Who?

your 'friend'
Reply 7
Original post by Justmoll28
your 'friend'

Why is his friend immature?

Quick Reply