The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Massive fee increase for MSc course

I've applied for the MSc in Particle Physics at Sussex and I got my offer through last night but on it the fees are stated as being £9,000 while the website says the fees were just over £6,000 last year. Does anybody know the reason why they've chosen to increase the fees by almost 50% this year?

This is a big problem for me as it probably means I won't be able to afford the fees plus accommodation and living costs unless I manage to get a good scholarship but I don't see that happening as I'm pretty unlikely to get a 1st in my undergrad degree now.
Reply 1
The course fee hike coincides with the introduction of the post-graduation loan availability, hence a better return for the government in the long run.

Is there any employment you can take up alongside your study?
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
I was looking into that loan but on reading it further you need to have been living in England for 3 years before starting your course. I'm Scottish and have been living in Scotland all my life so it falls to the devolved government here to help me. They've offered a postgrad loan for quite a few years but it's only £3,400 towards fees and £4,500 for living costs so I'd be left with needing to front another £5,600.

I guess I could get a job down there but I'd rather not to focus on the MSc. I've applied to a few other universities that will be cheaper so I'd probably rather elsewhere if I don't get funding.
Reply 4
Original post by Colinj451

Thanks for this. I must have missed it when I was looking around. Unfortunately I'm on track to get a 2.1 and I'd only get a 1st if I do REALLY well in my semester 2 exams and project. I've got offers for similar courses at other universities which have considerably cheaper fees and lower living costs as they are in less expensive parts of the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending