The Student Room Group

Why do men still get married?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also if you're really that worried about a woman taking half your stuff, assuming you don't marry someone richer then you, then just sign a prenup.
Original post by Dheorl
Also if you're really that worried about a woman taking half your stuff, assuming you don't marry someone richer then you, then just sign a prenup.

im married to the ****ing streets without a preeeeenup

Spoiler

Original post by Bealzibub
I really don't understand it. You get all the benefits of marriage that you couldn't have gotten 100 years ago without getting married e.g. sex. You will just lose everything when you get a divorce? It's like buying the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Marriage is more than a transaction ... I'm curious as to what kind of home you grew up in doesn't sound like there was much love.
Don't want my children to be bastards.
Original post by RivalPlayer
Are your parents married?

My parents are each others first love and happily married and I have no doubt they will never divorce. My parents are quite old fashioned and my mum is very different to women that exist today. If I was to find someone with the personality similar to my mum, I would happily get married but I fear they died out in the 60s. Infact, growing up I always had dreamed of getting married but that has pretty much died in the last few years. Society today is full of degenerate whores (including men), cheating is rife. I have no hope for a lasting marriage and hence I just don't see it's worth, men will only lose everything from divorce.
Reply 26
Original post by Dheorl

Prenups are meaningless in the UK.
Reply 28
Original post by mkap
0 :h:

Women lie often. But, what is your ancestral caste?
Even just going based on practicality, there are a number of advantages to marriage in today's society. There are so many legal implications. I'm in the US, so things might be slightly different, but there can be big benefits to filing your taxes together. If something happens, you're the next of kin. If someone goes into the hospital, the spouse can visit. That's part of why it was such a big deal for the government to allow same-sex marriage. Beyond the symbolic side of it, there are legal benefits!
Reply 30
Original post by 41b
Women lie often. But, what is your ancestral caste?

im actually not lying. I wouldn't lose my virginity before marriage as i think it should be done after marriage. My ancestral caste is Indian
Reply 31
Original post by mkap
im actually not lying. I wouldn't lose my virginity before marriage as i think it should be done after marriage. My ancestral caste is Indian

Are you a Brahmin, Kshatriya or something else?
Reply 32
Original post by 41b
Are you a Brahmin, Kshatriya or something else?

Im Muslim
Original post by Bealzibub
I really don't understand it. You get all the benefits of marriage that you couldn't have gotten 100 years ago without getting married e.g. sex. You will just lose everything when you get a divorce? It's like buying the cow when you can get the milk for free?

It is not all about sex. Anyway your illustration is so vague (girl-->cow)
Reply 34
Original post by abc101
I don't see why men get married nowadays. Although even when couples just live together, once they split up the woman can still take the man for all he's worth thanks to the new status of the 'common-law wife' which is ridiculous.

Most wealthy men aren't stupid enough to enter marriage without signing a prenup first
Original post by mkap

why you think that virginity is such a big issue and losing or having it should have an impact on person's life?
Reply 36
Original post by physicst
why you think that virginity is such a big issue and losing or having it should have an impact on person's life?

its just my opinion
Men benefit more from marriage: they get a domestic servant full time and someone to look after their children. Most child poverty in single psrent families is due to men abandonning their children financially as well as emotionally. My father walked out and my mother struggled and brought us up all by herself. Women get the raw end of the stick. In the past, a sense of shame and societal pressure would have forced men to behave like decent human beings, today men can come and go as they please. It's still a man's world.
Original post by mkap
its just my opinion

every opinion has some underlying logic
Reply 39
Most of you on these threads sound as if you will be spending your lives gaining and protecting personal wealth rather than forming relationships. How sad.

You may benefit from going to spend an afternoon in a care home with a coherent elderly candidate who had the same mindset and see how that works out in the long run. Then make a comparison with an elderly person from an attentive family network. Or read up on it.

I long ago ceased feeling any sympathy for pitiful elderly men lamenting their regrets about not committing to a relationship. I can see many still heading boldly in that direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending