Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 1
andy_1989

Surely this can't be true?

Why can't it be true? Just because its Westminster and not Oxbridge :confused:

Seriously those who think going to a redbrick uni guarantees you a headstart over other graduates are in for a rude awakening.

I have 2 friends who graduated from uni of Herts who have very good jobs with Citigroup and Herts is not a redbrick.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I decided to choose Westminster for my insurance after I read about the recent employement in IB. Hope its true tough.

One thing that i am concerned about is the amount of complaints from current westminster students about the university.
andy_1989
So this is one of my offers I am most definitely going to reject for Law LLB, however after having browsed through the info they sent me, I was really surprised to see that recent employers of their grads include:

Management consultancy - Accenture

Investment Banks - Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutche Bank, JP Morgan

Accountancy firms - KPMG and Deloitte

Law firms - Linklaters, Simmons and Simmons

Surely this can't be true?

Well I think this has been covered in depth before in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=336713 though obviously it's illegal to mislead prospective students concerning the destination of its graduates - so obviously it's true. Its law department scored a 5 in the last RAE, has one of the largest PhD students/researchers for all law departments in the country and is still in the top 20 when it comes to its law graduates gaining pupillages.

As the head of its law school states: "The most significant indication of the quality of the teaching provided by the Law School is the continuing success of our former students. Large numbers of our graduates enter the legal profession and many are highly successful. Our alumni include presidents of the Law Society, judges and QCs, as well as young lawyers or barristers of the year. In 2006 alone, eight former students became QCs others, often our Masters and PhD students, have chosen careers in international tribunal and commercial institutions or as academics, We are rightly proud of all our former students, and keep in touch with them through an active Alumni Association."

AC_123
I decided to choose Westminster for my insurance after I read about the recent employement in IB. Hope its true tough.

One thing that i am concerned about is the amount of complaints from current Westminster students about the university.

People forget that Westminster has a distinguished past that started with a clear and ethical ethos at the time, which was one of inclusivity and education and betterment for society in general. It was actually the first polytechnic type institution that all the rest were based on - it was respected and thought of highly. The fact that other polytechnics came along that were not of this standard has resulted in Westminster being tarred with the same brush.

As for the amount of complaints from current students, Westminster has around 40% mature student body who are harder to please, it also (due to competition from rivals in its immediate vicinity) attract a few students who may not be able to handle the academic program - which has been mentioned in various university publications as impressive (eight modules per year with optional modules to pick outside of your specific degree area - such as polylang); this can result in certain types of student who may be finding parts of their study difficult - to shift blame for certain shortcomings to other areas and so avoid responsibility, this is human nature in general.

So when you see complaints from students in general about any institutions, you have to look carefully at what the specific complaint is about. Is it about errant lecturers who aren't committed and don't turn up or are they generally complaining about things that don't really matter when it comes to gaining your degree, such as if one of the buildings was manky looking for example. These types of complaints reveal more about the person than anything else.

The fact that they are currently attracting high profile staff from Imperial and other such distinguished institutions in London and the new Vice-Chancellor to be installed this year is a highly respected research professor from Birmingham University, shows that they clearly have a plan to move up the ranks whilst maintaining their ethos of being an inclusive, caring and ethical institution. One of only a few institutions that still teach diplomats with the DAL (Diplomatic Academy of London - part of Westminster) and various research centres aimed to bridge gaps between cultures and countries, with the innocence project and the centre for the study of democracy - shows that it cares.

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/law/page-0
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/law/page-309

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/law/page-633
The University of Westminster Innocence Project
Mission Statement

The University of Westminster Innocence Project is a student-led educational project committed to freeing the innocent who have been wrongfully convicted.

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/page-1

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/law/page-633
The Diplomatic Academy of London

The Diplomatic Academy of London (DAL) is regarded as the longest established British institute to pioneer integrated diplomatic training programmes in London. It has attracted members of the London Diplomatic Corps, including heads of missions, who are accredited to the Court of St James, diplomats from various ministries for foreign affairs, and officials from overseas government department including the emerging democracies of central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the info guys.. So which would you reccomend.. Westminster or Brunel? Up till now I have been sure I'd go for Brunel, but now I'm not so sure

Latest

Trending

Trending