The Student Room Group

Lending a brand new book to someone which I will never do again!

In August I thought I would give my colleague a brand new book to read as I haven't had a chance to read it but she is a massive fan so thought she would like to borrow it. I bought 2 Games of Thrones book so gave her book 1

Here is what a brand new book 2 looks like

She had it for 6 months and last month I asked her to give it back as someone wants to read it (which was a lie) I was worried she will have it for months and months.

So got book 1 back in this condition

It looks all horrible and creased :frown: and if someone lent me a brand new book to borrow would take care of it. Am I being unreasonable she did have it for 6 months and it pissed me off seeing it all used as if it was hers.

So has anyone had an awful experience? Sorry the images are sideways.

She can dream on if she is getting anywhere near my clean book 2
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is why you keep books to yourself - trust nobody,
Original post by chikane
x

Oh. My. God. This has happened to me on so many different occasions and it always upsets me (like, a lot). I'm really picky about lending books now.
Reply 3
That book looks so distressed, it's horrible. :eek:

That's why I never lend out books.
Reply 4
Take them to small claims court
You just played yourself by lending it to her.
Original post by Shumaya
Take them to small claims court

:rofl:
tbh I love worn books, it shows you've enjoyed them...
Original post by homeland.lsw

What about broken dildos?
Reply 9
Original post by iEthan
Oh. My. God. This has happened to me on so many different occasions and it always upsets me (like, a lot). I'm really picky about lending books now.

Original post by Airmed
That book looks so distressed, it's horrible. :eek:

That's why I never lend out books.

I'm glad i'm not the only who thinks this, it looks horrible, my other colleague said the same.
This colleague is a right witch so won't be surprised if she treated it like this on purpose!
Original post by BlindingLight
What about broken dildos?

well, you can't really wear out a dildo, they're made out of rubber aren't they...
also who would lend a dildo in the first place?
Reply 11
Original post by flippantri
This is why you keep books to yourself - trust nobody,

Definitely don't trust her book 2 stays with me forever.
Original post by chikane
I'm glad i'm not the only who thinks this, it looks horrible, my other colleague said the same.
This colleague is a right witch so won't be surprised if she treated it like this on purpose!

It's even worse when you lend out your £47 brand-new textbook for ONE NIGHT and it comes back looking like it's the loan copy that's survived two world wars… :cry:
Reply 13
Original post by BlindingLight
You just played yourself by lending it to her.

How did I know this would happen if I was lent a brand new book I would ensure it stayed that way.
Reply 14
Original post by iEthan
It's even worse when you lend out your £47 brand-new textbook for ONE NIGHT and it comes back looking like it's the loan copy that's survived two world wars… :cry:

I would keep my brand new textbook in prestine condition when I used it cause I usually sell it on Amazon at the end of the year so someone doing that to it would make me angry.
That is horrible what they did to your book :frown:
I completely understand! I love keeping my books in great condition. I take care when I read my own books - I take extra care when I read a borrowed book (most of the time, though, the book I borrow from someone is in shambles anyway).

The fact that she had it for 6 months is crazy! Gosh. When someone lends something to you, you don't keep it for half a year! And you don't have to ask for it back! It was yours in the first place - shame on your friend for not giving it back much much sooner.

This is why I never let anyone borrow my books.

(Sorry for the rant :colondollar: This lending business and getting things back broken, or just never actually getting them back again really makes me mad. Lots of bad experiences :colonhash:)
Original post by chikane
I would keep my brand new textbook in prestine condition when I used it cause I usually sell it on Amazon at the end of the year so someone doing that to it would make me angry.
That is horrible what they did to your book :frown:

SO DO I. You can imagine my rage when I discovered how bent and STAINED (yes, STAINED) it was. It was horrible, you're right :cry:
Reply 17
Original post by homeland.lsw

I love worn books but not when it's my brand new one and lent to someone else. I should be the one making it all used and rough not her.
Original post by chikane
I love worn books but not when it's my brand new one and lent to someone else. I should be the one making it all used and rough not her.

oh, I thought you were some crazy person that wrapped their books up in bubble wrap, and had the pages just open so you could just about read whats in it without creasing the spine.

in that case what a bitch, let her rot in jail
Reply 19
Original post by iEthan
SO DO I. You can imagine my rage when I discovered how bent and STAINED (yes, STAINED) it was. It was horrible, you're right :cry:

There there :hugs: lot of disgusting idiots around with no respect for other people's possessions.

Quick Reply

Latest