The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hi, I'll be starting my A levels in the next academic year, and I'm wondering if it's worth doing EPQ? I'm thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Spanish, and I want to study medicine to become a surgeon. I have seen medic applicants with the EPQ, does it boost your application? What do you do in EPQ exactly? I only know vaguely that it's about research and that it's half an A level?

(Btw, which do you think is a better combination: Chem, Bio, Eng Lit and Spanish or Chem, Bio, Eng Lit and Computer science?)

I'd say that if you have the opportunity to do an EPQ, do it. It will enhance your CV and universities will like it - especially if it relates to your chosen area of study. However, if you don't do an EPQ universities will not judge you, as many schools and colleges don't offer it.
For the EPQ, you can either do a 5000 word essay or an artefact (performance or object), but at least a third of the marks come from planning the piece and talking about it afterwards. Do not be daunted: you will have the same amount of time as an AS to complete it, and after you write your dissertation, essay or thesis, 5000 words really won't seem like long enough.
For a science-orientated EPQ, people often write theses based on experiments (I once saw an interesting one where someone was messing around with penicillin) or essays (on stuff like the privatisation of the NHS or the benefits of some random health stuff), but really you can write about anything - one friend who takes sociology, chemistry, biology and geology did how to get away with murder, and another friend who takes languages and textiles just translated something old and wade it into a wall tapestry.
You start off learning how to research, you research, then you write it and fill out your log book as you go, about what you are doing.

As for subject choices, all you need for medicine is chemistry and one other science (in this case biology or computer science). Also note that favoured subjects by universities include chem, bio, eng lit and Spanish, but not computer science. And, whilst we are advancing in the technological age and computer science may help you, Spanish may be useful to communicate with future patients and languages are shown to be looked upon positively by employers. In he end though, it's down to what you enjoy more (you could always to what I did: take the subject with the most people and then if you don't like it, drop out and swap to the other one which just so happens to have some places left...).

Anyway, good luck, whatever you choose!
Original post by mackendacker
I'd say that if you have the opportunity to do an EPQ, do it. It will enhance your CV and universities will like it - especially if it relates to your chosen area of study. However, if you don't do an EPQ universities will not judge you, as many schools and colleges don't offer it.
For the EPQ, you can either do a 5000 word essay or an artefact (performance or object), but at least a third of the marks come from planning the piece and talking about it afterwards. Do not be daunted: you will have the same amount of time as an AS to complete it, and after you write your dissertation, essay or thesis, 5000 words really won't seem like long enough.
For a science-orientated EPQ, people often write theses based on experiments (I once saw an interesting one where someone was messing around with penicillin) or essays (on stuff like the privatisation of the NHS or the benefits of some random health stuff), but really you can write about anything - one friend who takes sociology, chemistry, biology and geology did how to get away with murder, and another friend who takes languages and textiles just translated something old and wade it into a wall tapestry.
You start off learning how to research, you research, then you write it and fill out your log book as you go, about what you are doing.

As for subject choices, all you need for medicine is chemistry and one other science (in this case biology or computer science). Also note that favoured subjects by universities include chem, bio, eng lit and Spanish, but not computer science. And, whilst we are advancing in the technological age and computer science may help you, Spanish may be useful to communicate with future patients and languages are shown to be looked upon positively by employers. In he end though, it's down to what you enjoy more (you could always to what I did: take the subject with the most people and then if you don't like it, drop out and swap to the other one which just so happens to have some places left...).

Anyway, good luck, whatever you choose!

Wow thank you so much what a great answer!
Hello,

Just to add to the above answer (which was very thorough), in addition to the 5000 word essay or artefact, you'll also need to do a short oral presentation about your project. It needs to be roughly 10-15 minutes long, and include a question and answer session at the end, or another interactive element.

Also like the previous answer said, make sure that you fill out the Log Book as well as you can, because that's where most of the marks come from. Obviously try to do a good job in your actual essay or artefact, but remember that most of the marks actually come from the Log Book. So even if you have an A* essay, if your Log Book isn't filled out thoroughly, your overall grade will be lower.

If you do decide to do an EPQ and would like any tips on how to lay out your EPQ, reference sources etc, feel free to ask (I got an A in my EPQ) :h:
Reply 4
also make sure that you keep referencing your work and keep your bibliography up to date. it will make your life alot easier!
Reply 5
Is anyone lovely enough to read through my EPQ on Animal-Assisted Therapy? Hopefully it's quite interesting and different! (If that's encouraging any of you to read it :smile: Won't take up much of your time!! But really want to do well with it so ANY opinions or ideas would be amazing!Please reply or MESSAGE ME if you'd like to help and I can send it to you??
Reply 6
Original post by Hels18
Is anyone lovely enough to read through my EPQ on Animal-Assisted Therapy? Hopefully it's quite interesting and different! (If that's encouraging any of you to read it :smile: Won't take up much of your time!! But really want to do well with it so ANY opinions or ideas would be amazing!Please reply or MESSAGE ME if you'd like to help and I can send it to you??

Probably not a good idea to share it with random people on the internet. You are at risk of plagiarism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hels18

Hiya,

Like jneill said, it's possible that your EPQ could be copied by someone else if you show it to other people, especially online. It would be a better idea to let your EPQ mentor read it instead, and gain feedback though them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest