The Student Room Group

Design Engineering at Imperial

Hi guys
I've been researching this course for quite a while and seem to find nothing much on the net.
I think its because its a fairly new course.

Does anyone know anything about it from open days or actual students?
Original post by m.al-hussain
Hi guys
I've been researching this course for quite a while and seem to find nothing much on the net.
I think its because its a fairly new course.

Does anyone know anything about it from open days or actual students?

Had my interview/tour a couple of days ago. Ask me anything youre curious about and ill answer if I can.
Reply 2
Original post by Brokensteps
Ask me anything youre curious about and ill answer if I can.

Hi is the course more product design based or engineering basedAre there any opportunities for practical activities and what kind of facilities do they have for product design?Thanks
Original post by m.al-hussain
Hi is the course more product design based or engineering basedAre there any opportunities for practical activities and what kind of facilities do they have for product design?Thanks

Right now its a new course so the facility bit is a bit weird. Imperial's engineering department is massive though, and theyve got all the facilities from the Masters design engineering course. Also, they have a building which is currently work in progress which they said we would be using as the design engineering building once it is complete.

As for the course, It seemed like it was a more "practical" form of engineering, so probably more towards the product design. The course units however are a hybrid. I'd say its what a kid would imagine mechanical engineering to be. Not the painful spending all day just figuring out equations and working in an office space. Mechanical engineering would be more focused on choosing which pipe and which vessel to use in a refinery or something like that, while the "design engineer" would be working on smaller scale projects, such as gadgets, bikes, etc.... Again, not saying mechanical engineers dont do these things, just talking about the focus point of the courses.

Again, Im not doing the course currently, but this is what Ive seen. Take from it what you want.
Reply 4
Original post by Brokensteps
Right now its a new course so the facility bit is a bit weird. Imperial's engineering department is massive though, and theyve got all the facilities from the Masters design engineering course. Also, they have a building which is currently work in progress which they said we would be using as the design engineering building once it is complete.

As for the course, It seemed like it was a more "practical" form of engineering, so probably more towards the product design. The course units however are a hybrid. I'd say its what a kid would imagine mechanical engineering to be. Not the painful spending all day just figuring out equations and working in an office space. Mechanical engineering would be more focused on choosing which pipe and which vessel to use in a refinery or something like that, while the "design engineer" would be working on smaller scale projects, such as gadgets, bikes, etc.... Again, not saying mechanical engineers dont do these things, just talking about the focus point of the courses.

Again, Im not doing the course currently, but this is what Ive seen. Take from it what you want.

Thanks
Have you seen any other Uni's?
How does it compare to loughboro Uni for example
I went to the open day for this course but am not sure whether to apply or not because it is so new 😕 Does this worry anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest