The Student Room Group

I went to the Calais refugee camp today

Yeah so ask away

I have no patience for racist/islamophobic/xenophobic comments so I won't bother with those at all

My battery is dead and I'm tired so I'll answer later :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Very admirable. What's it like there?
Why?
Do you agree that its time for Cameron to let these heroic people into the uk?
Original post by Rockstar North
Why?

I had the opportunity to do so I did.
What were you expecting, and how did the reality compare?
How were the living conditions there?
Did you ask why they hadn't claimed asylum in France?
Reply 8
Actually rather interesting.

How big is the camp itself?
Do you think they are aware that there is a lot of hostility amongst people in the UK that do not want them to come? I'm curious if they realise how controversial they have become or they think they will be welcome with open arms when they finally smuggle themselves into the UK.

Why do they want to come to the UK rather than stay in any of the countries they have passed through?

Was it mostly men or were there a lot of children, women and families?

I appeciate youve only been there a day, but assume youve spoken to them a lot about their hopes.
Original post by iEthan
Very admirable. What's it like there?

The living conditions are horrible and the people quite admirable.
Calais feels very guarded, double rows of electric fences and French CRS police vans everywhere.
Original post by jedanselemyia
The living conditions are horrible and the people quite admirable.
Calais feels very guarded, double rows of electric fences and French CRS police vans everywhere.

Harrowing to think about, how was it gaining access?
Original post by intelligent con
Do you agree that its time for Cameron to let these heroic people into the uk?

I noticed the sarcastic tone. Anyway, one Afghan fellow was remarkably aware of UK politics and the Tory's agenda about refugees. I don't think he had a lot of hope as a result.
Did it really change your perspective on the situation?
Original post by dean01234
What were you expecting, and how did the reality compare?

I wasn't expecting much having have seen things on TV and reports from volunteers at the camp. However, nothing really compares to reality right? Like, it's there, the shanty town, dirty water and streets
However, I was agreeably surprised by the sense of entrepreneurship: as you enter the camp, there are little snack places, hotels, corner shops etc
Original post by BrokenLife
How were the living conditions there?

It's disgusting. It's a shantytown really, but organised like a small town with streets.
It's quite well established. The floor was muddy and filled with plastic, dirty pools of water etc but there was a sense of order definitely.
The local volunteers supply them with clothes, food, hygiene products so that was positive.
Original post by jedanselemyia
I noticed the sarcastic tone. Anyway, one Afghan fellow was remarkably aware of UK politics and the Tory's agenda about refugees. I don't think he had a lot of hope as a result.
I wasn't being sarcastic I have always supported the intake of the poor refugees and will NEVER support the tories.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Did you ask why they hadn't claimed asylum in France?

I didn't personally ask them anything since I didn't speak any of their languages so what I have is second hand accounts. But we were personally very interested in their stories. They have a very bad experience with French police and right wing groups (there were people guarding the camp like sentinels because of these groups infiltrating the camp) and I doubt this encouraged them to seek asylum in France :frown:
Original post by antipol
Actually rather interesting.

How big is the camp itself?

Pretty big. It houses 8000 people.
Original post by 999tigger
Do you think they are aware that there is a lot of hostility amongst people in the UK that do not want them to come? I'm curious if they realise how controversial they have become or they think they will be welcome with open arms when they finally smuggle themselves into the UK.

Why do they want to come to the UK rather than stay in any of the countries they have passed through?

Was it mostly men or were there a lot of children, women and families?

I appeciate youve only been there a day, but assume youve spoken to them a lot about their hopes.

Not really. Seeing how badly they are treated in France, they think they'll be better treated in the UK with the current asylum rights. However, it depends on the level of education. Like I mentionned earlier, this Afghan man was really educated on UK politics and he didn't have any illusions.

Okay so the things they mentionned in this regard: asylum rights (quicker process), possibility of bringing family members and the English language (it's taught in school in the case of Syrian refugees so they have a basic understanding that they'll be able to build on).

We saw mainly men and young boys. I saw a few women. But the majority of women and children were further away in the camp but we unfortunately didn't get there.

Ah, the people who spoke to them did mention hopes. The overwhelming majority wish that they were back in their countries due to the fact they never thought that Europe would be like this. Obviously, they wish to gain access to the UK but the first thought prevailed.

Quick Reply