The Student Room Group

Which university should I choose for Politics and International Relations?

Hello!

I haven't really used this site before but I was hoping for a little bit of help. I've received offers from all of my universities and have whittled it down to the University of Birmingham and the University of Liverpool. I'm completely torn between the two. I also currently live in Birmingham which is influencing the decision as I'd like to move away however I can still live in halls in Birmingham.

Both courses are highly regarded which I am very happy about but I'm a bit confused that Liverpool offer International Politics and Policy instead of PIR which seems a bit odd. I guess I'm just looking for anyone who can give me some informed advice about which to accept. As both are great Uni's it also goes down to superficial things such as nightlife, making friends, societies and costs associated with living there.

I'd really appreciate any help!
Thank you!
Birmingham is by far the better Uni. Dont end up a Scouser!:colondollar:
Original post by ahsenrauf
Birmingham is by far the better Uni. Dont end up a Scouser!:colondollar:

Any particular reason haha?
Birmingham has better international prestige. It also will lead to potentially better job offers. Although league tables shouldn't be taken to heart Birmingham is ranked quite high while Liverpool is often at the bottom of the Russell group. This all depends on your personal preference. Check out the modules both courses offer and it will help if you like a course over another.
Hi
Im a current Political Science student at Birmingham. I would definitely recommend the course (with or without IR) and the university in general. It is a great university and the course is very interesting and the range of modules that you can study is extremely wide.
Birmingham is a much better Uni for politics (domestic) but for IR there is better places out there. Eg: Kings (1st security), LSE (1st IR theory and Internaltiona political economy), Kent (1st conflict analysis and 3rd IR theory), SOAS (1st african area studies), St Andrews (2nd IR theory, 2nd conflict analysis) , Reading (2nd security) .

And not to say ill of Birmingham their modules range is actually fairly consistence even slightly smaller compared to unis like Kings, or even Kent.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/govsoc/political-science-international-relations.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
vs

eg: kent i linked with a year in the US because it's the same entry requirements ABB

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/393/politics-and-international-relations-with-a-year-in-north-america#!structure
Thank you everyone for your responses! It's been loads of help! I've put the Uni of Birmingham first with Liverpool second. I wish I would have seen Kent sooner though, it looks incredible. Hopefully, I'll get into Birmingham!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending