The Student Room Group

Could I apply tactically?

I am very passionate about studying Medicine as a degree, and the only career I really see myself in is as a general practitioner.
Since I received my GCSE results I assumed i'd no longer be able to get into med school and therefore I started looking into other fields, but I don't find any other fields as interesting. I've done plenty of research into this for the past year but I have never really had any advice given to me.

So, do I have any hope if I was to apply tactically? (This question is asked plenty of times but I need personal assurance about it).

Here are my stats:
GCSE's: 6A, 3B.
Work experience: 1 week at a pharmacy (so nothing relevant so far, if there is a chance of getting in i'd of course get more relevant placements such as shadowing a GP etc.).
A Levels: Hoping to get AAAA (currently graded a mixture of A's/high B's)

Thank you!
what med schools are you currently thinking off ?
Reply 2
Original post by medicapplicant
what med schools are you currently thinking off ?

I don't really have any in mind at the moment as i'd apply to any 4 which give me the highest chance of an offer, but specifically ones with low GCSE requirements such as Brighton and Sussex.
You could and you should - your GCSEs aren't bad by any means, but you should avoid the medical schools which want a very high number or proportion of A*s e.g. Oxford, Cardiff.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
You could and you should - your GCSEs aren't bad by any means, but you should avoid the medical schools which want a very high number or proportion of A*s e.g. Oxford, Cardiff.

Thanks for the advice!
I think i'll definitely look into it and start looking at which universities I will have a chance when applying to.
Original post by harryrwx
I am very passionate about studying Medicine as a degree, and the only career I really see myself in is as a general practitioner.Since I received my GCSE results I assumed i'd no longer be able to get into med school and therefore I started looking into other fields, but I don't find any other fields as interesting. I've done plenty of research into this for the past year but I have never really had any advice given to me.So, do I have any hope if I was to apply tactically? (This question is asked plenty of times but I need personal assurance about it).Here are my stats:GCSE's: 6A, 3B.Work experience: 1 week at a pharmacy (so nothing relevant so far, if there is a chance of getting in i'd of course get more relevant placements such as shadowing a GP etc.).A Levels: Hoping to get AAAA (currently graded a mixture of A's/high B's)Thank you!
Of course! Many people do it and I'd say you be at a disadvantage if you didn't. It's really about applying to uni which favour your strengths e.g. focus more on unis which put less emphasis on having high GCSEs and instead on an excellent personal statement, UKCAT etc. For now I would really focus on getting as much work experience/preparation (e.g. lectures, seminars) for medicine as you can, getting the grades you need and as high a UKCAT score as possible so you can strengthen your application.
Reply 6
I am very passionate about studying Medicine as a degree, and the only career I really see myself in is as a general practitioner.
Since I received my GCSE results I assumed i'd no longer be able to get into med school and therefore I started looking into other fields, but I don't find any other fields as interesting. I've done plenty of research into this for the past year but I have never really had any advice given to me.

So, do I have any hope if I was to apply tactically? (This question is asked plenty of times but I need personal assurance about it).

Here are my stats:
Work experience: 1 week at a pharmacy (so nothing relevant so far, if there is a chance of getting in i'd of course get more relevant placements such as shadowing a GP etc.).

Thank you!

I know you've mentioned work experience - but you might as well crack on and try and get some. There are two types:

- Shadowing-type experience, e.g. 1 week in a GP, 1 week in a hospital, this is difficult to get but can be very useful when discussing your personal qualities and how they relate to being a doctor (e.g. "I am the captain of my football team and have to lead the team, whilst on my work experience I saw how important leadership was when a patient became unwell...") so start sending out letters and emails for that - it's half term now isn't it? So you'll have to organise it during the next break you have.

- Long-term voluntary work, e.g. care home work, hospice work. This is very, very valuable and something the Medical Schools Council (which represents all medical schools) has stated should be seen as more important than the previously described shadowing. The longer you do this, the better, and it still might take a few months to find a spot. So start emailing care homes etc. for that as well.
Reply 7
I've currently called 8 local GP surgeries, and nothing.
The reception staff are incredibly unhelpful as every time I asked they gave me a blunt answer and didn't seem bothered at all.
The exchanges all went similarly to this. (I used an opener found on an article somewhere on this forum)

"Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I am 17 years old and I am looking to apply to medical school this year. I am keen to get to know the role of a GP, so I was wondering if you do any work experience placements?"
And the reply was either "Sorry we don't offer that here" or "Let me check" and then they return 2 seconds later with a definite no. Even when asking if there was a possibly to speak to the GP to ask they just said how they're incredibly busy and whatnot (so effectively, no).

What other options do I have? I want to contact the GP directly this time for a reply as the reception staff are useless, but there is no email address or such else found for the GP's. Will I have to send a letter addressed to the GP I wish to enquire?
The reception staff are incredibly unhelpful as every time I asked they gave me a blunt answer and didn't seem bothered at all.
The exchanges all went similarly to this. (I used an opener found on an article somewhere on this forum)

"Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I am 17 years old and I am looking to apply to medical school this year. I am keen to get to know the role of a GP, so I was wondering if you do any work experience placements?"
And the reply was either "Sorry we don't offer that here" or "Let me check" and then they return 2 seconds later with a definite no. Even when asking if there was a possibly to speak to the GP to ask they just said how they're incredibly busy and whatnot (so effectively, no).

What other options do I have? I want to contact the GP directly this time for a reply as the reception staff are useless, but there is no email address or such else found for the GP's. Will I have to send a letter addressed to the GP I wish to enquire?

Don't worry, this is usually the case.
Why don't you physically go up to the GP and ask them, it's more reliable I guess and I'm sure they give placements out.
Additionally, you can instead talk to your headteacher or school teachers, see if they could help you out. My school are extremely helpful, they give placements like its nothing, some students even got to meet the health secretary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bloom77
Don't worry, this is usually the case.
Why don't you physically go up to the GP and ask them, it's more reliable I guess and I'm sure they give placements out.
Additionally, you can instead talk to your headteacher or school teachers, see if they could help you out. My school are extremely helpful, they give placements like its nothing, some students even got to meet the health secretary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice!
I'll speak to my head of sixth form when I go back to school next week.

Here are my stats:

Thank you!

sheffield only require 6As at GCSE (taken in one sitting), and a not particularly high UKCAT, after that its all based on the personal statement, Keele give most of their interviews out based on a form you fill out about work experience, voluntary work and general life experience, a number of other unis aren't that bothered about GCSEs as long as you get a really good UKCAT so you definitely can apply tactfully but are either going to need a lot of voluntary work and extra curricular's or a really impressive UKCAT or BMAT.

Good luck

Maybe try and get experience in a hospital rather than a GP surgery? My local hospital had a specific application form for anyone who wanted to do some shadowing, also voluntary work in a hospital or hospice will be seen as just as favourably

Write to them. Asking to speak to the GP by phone means someone with an urgent medical query can't speak to them, hence you being told no. Send a polite letter addressed to the GP partners, explaining you want to do medicine and asking if you can shadow them. GP's don't have work experience programs in the same way that large hospitals do, so you need an individual GP to agree to take you on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending