The Student Room Group

Can you tell what colour someone is based on their voice?

I saw a thing on youtube that said there were 'white' and 'black' voices and therefore a voice for each race, as in something deeper than just an accent. Like choice of words as well.

Do you think this is true? I'll post my own voice and you guys can see if I sound like anything, if you want to post your own voice then go along, we just need people to try and guess your ethnicity and we'll see if it matches up.

My voice: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1IbhISmVIn3

The video in question btw is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-G0SQpsWI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I saw a thing on youtube that said there were 'white' and 'black' voices and therefore a voice for each race, as in something deeper than just an accent. Like choice of words as well.

Do you think this is true? I'll post my own voice and you guys can see if I sound like anything, if you want to post your own voice then go along, we just need people to try and guess your ethnicity and we'll see if it matches up.

The video in question btw is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-G0SQpsWI

you sound white or asian
Reply 2
Original post by Photovoltaic.
you sound white or asian

Sorry about that recording quality, so bad but yeah I guess it's not true then.
You're white!

i agree you sound white

Spoiler

Reply 5
You sound like you're actively making an effort to blow into the microphone haha
Reply 6
you're definitely not white. Either indian or black maybe?
White, with a hint of "brown".

As for accent, would put you somewhere Northern (that is north of Watford). You have taints of Leicester but your voice is a little refined so I'd say that you are living somewhere in the East Anglia part of the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by TheArtofProtest
White, with a hint of "brown".

As for accent, would put you somewhere Northern (that is north of Watford). You have taints of Leicester but your voice is a little refined so I'd say that you are living somewhere in the East Anglia part of the UK.

Wow, damn you're good. Being called Northern stings however. I'm more Black/Brown with a hint of white...

Original post by Alexion
You sound like you're actively making an effort to blow into the microphone haha
I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.
Original post by iluvarabdick
i agree you sound white

Spoiler

Never got that before, always assumed my voice was rather disagreeable.

Original post by P357
you're definitely not white. Either indian or black maybe?

Not sure if I'm black that's down to interpretation, although I am not Indian.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
for the record I disagree with the replies, from your voice I woulda guessed black

doubt that has much credibility at this point tho
Wow, damn you're good. Being called Northern stings however. I'm more Black/Brown with a hint of white...

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. Never got that before, always assumed my voice was rather disagreeable.

ermm so what ethnicity actually are you? where are your parents from specifically?
Original post by Alexion
for the record I disagree with the replies, from your voice I woulda guessed black

doubt that has much credibility at this point tho

My accent? Or like my voice itself? If voice maybe I inherited a black voice but I'm not so sure.
Original post by iluvarabdick
ermm so what ethnicity actually are you? where are your parents from specifically?
Seychelles, but that's like seeing someone write their parents were born in America and trying to determine what colour they are based on that information. I tick Mixed - Other on those boxes.
Reply 12

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. Never got that before, always assumed my voice was rather disagreeable.

Well you can tell by your voice that you're definitely not white OR east asian for that matter...i guess being mixed race explains why its harder to pinpoint.
In America yes not so much here in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by P357
Well you can tell by your voice that you're definitely not white OR east asian for that matter...i guess being mixed race explains why its harder to pinpoint.

Do you think different races have like different vocal chords? Or do you mean my accent sounds foreign?

Original post by Superhotfire
In America yes not so much here in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah America seems to have specific accents for black and white people.
My accent? Or like my voice itself? If voice maybe I inherited a black voice but I'm not so sure.

Not sure exactly what it is, but it sounds more like my black friends than anyone else I know - so there was kinda a subconscious connection idk
Reply 16
Do you think different races have like different vocal chords? Or do you mean my accent sounds foreign?

Your accent certainly doesn't sound foreign to me. I actually never really even considered this vocal chord theory thing. I just clicked on the link and guessed...i suppose black/indian guys i've met previously sounded similar?I don't really know tbh.
Original post by P357
Your accent certainly doesn't sound foreign to me. I actually never really even considered this vocal chord theory thing. I just clicked on the link and guessed...i suppose black/indian guys i've met previously sounded similar?I don't really know tbh.

Do you think it's just a deeper form of an accent? Or do you think if an Indian or Black person was raised by white parents from a young age, they'd also sound white.

I'm trying to see if there is any data on this, maybe it is just a subtle form of an accent and there is no inherent difference between races in terms of voice. Hmm
We are all africans as all modern humans ( in fact all hominids) originate from Africa. One race, just diffetent cultures.
Original post by elfreda69
We are all africans as all modern humans ( in fact all hominids) originate from Africa. One race, just diffetent cultures.

can u not m8

Quick Reply

Latest