The Student Room Group

UCAS Reference - from a tutor of an FdSc course?

Hello,
I am applying for transfer from an FdSc first year in computing to a BSc first year in computing and I was wondering If my tutor HAS to disclose information regarding my attendance in my reference?

My attendance is pretty low at 49% however this does not affect my grades and despite one module my grades are over 60% - I got 83% overall for one module and are getting high 2:1 and 1sts in my work. It is important to note my attendance has been low due to a personal situation and mental health problems.

I am very passionate about the subject I study but the course just doesn't suit my learning style as it is very similar to being on a BTEC course - classroom based etc and I would prefer a more traditional uni style where I can be a bit more independent with my work - I think I would succeed more.

I have asked my tutor for a reference and she has said:
"I can give you an academic reference but I will have to quote the figures and details we hold for attendance, I can explain that with the personal issue you have had you have done well with the work you have submitted."

I am applying for some unis that are quite high up in the league tables and I am petrified anything negative might make me seem like I'm not passionate or committed thus, hindering my chances.

Should I just ask an old Sixth form teacher to do it?
Im really worried.
Original post by ChloeU56
Hello,
I am applying for transfer from an FdSc first year in computing to a BSc first year in computing and I was wondering If my tutor HAS to disclose information regarding my attendance in my reference?

My attendance is pretty low at 49% however this does not affect my grades and despite one module my grades are over 60% - I got 83% overall for one module and are getting high 2:1 and 1sts in my work. It is important to note my attendance has been low due to a personal situation and mental health problems.

I am very passionate about the subject I study but the course just doesn't suit my learning style as it is very similar to being on a BTEC course - classroom based etc and I would prefer a more traditional uni style where I can be a bit more independent with my work - I think I would succeed more.

I have asked my tutor for a reference and she has said:
"I can give you an academic reference but I will have to quote the figures and details we hold for attendance, I can explain that with the personal issue you have had you have done well with the work you have submitted."

I am applying for some unis that are quite high up in the league tables and I am petrified anything negative might make me seem like I'm not passionate or committed thus, hindering my chances.

Should I just ask an old Sixth form teacher to do it?
Im really worried.

I m afraid as you re already at university it could look suspicious to get your sixth form tutor to do it. I wouldn't worry too much as you say your tutor is willing to explain your personal issues in your reference and it's not made a negative difference to your grades.

Have you contacted the universities you wish to apply to? As it is after the equal consideration deadline it d be a good idea to check they have places before putting your application in.
Reply 2
And your attendance isn't really that big an issue, especially given you have extenuating circumstances. They are much more interested in your academic results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending