The Student Room Group

Calhn ingold prelog rules?

Is it in order of atomic mass or atomic number ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Questioness
Is in in order of atomic mass or atomic number ?

If you go with atomic mass it allows you to extend the rules to include isotopes, eg:

CDH=CClCH3
Original post by Questioness
Is it in order of atomic mass or atomic number ?

Whilst the choice between atomic number vs. atomic mass is unlikely to be of any consequence in assigning priority the original CIP rules are based on assigning priority to the highest atomic number. If atomic numbers are the same then the higher isotopic mass takes priority. If you get an exam question that asks how priority is assigned you should say by atomic number. I wrote to OCR to check how they want assignments to be made. Answer - atomic number.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
Whilst the choice between atomic number vs. atomic mass is unlikely to be of any consequence in assigning priority the original CIP rules are based on assigning priority to the highest atomic number. If atomic numbers are the same then the higher isotopic mass takes priority. If you get an exam question that asks how priority is assigned you should say by atomic number. I wrote to OCR to check how they want assignments to be made. Answer - atomic number.

Okay, thank you. I was a little confused with different sites saying different things.

Quick Reply

Latest