The Student Room Group

Engineering math

Hey guys :smile:

So I have a BSc degree in chemistry. At the end of my second year I had come to the conclusion that I didn't want to be a chemist for the rest of my life, but I completed the degree anyway just so that I didn't feel like I'd wasted 2 years of my life studying and have nothing to show for it.

Back onto the topic at hand, I've received an unconditional from UCL for BEng (chemical) and I have a few questions regarding engineering math in the UK (I'm from South Africa). The math I did in my BSc wasn't very rigorous, I've basically got an "entry-level" understanding of calculus and linear algebra. I've got good understanding of differentiation and I'm so-so with integration, and I've never touched multivariable calculus or differential equations etc. (Note I didn't do A levels in high school, I did the normal high school curriculum here in SA)

I'm SO stoked to have been given an offer from UCL but I'm wondering whether I'll be able to cope with the math. So my question boils down to: do universities in the UK teach calculus (in the engineering programs)? Or do they just quickly skim over all the A-level material and presume you have a solid foundation in calculus?

Thanks in advance for any responses :smile:
J
Original post by Oldwhpsian
Hey guys :smile:

So I have a BSc degree in chemistry. At the end of my second year I had come to the conclusion that I didn't want to be a chemist for the rest of my life, but I completed the degree anyway just so that I didn't feel like I'd wasted 2 years of my life studying and have nothing to show for it.

Back onto the topic at hand, I've received an unconditional from UCL for BEng (chemical) and I have a few questions regarding engineering math in the UK (I'm from South Africa). The math I did in my BSc wasn't very rigorous, I've basically got an "entry-level" understanding of calculus and linear algebra. I've got good understanding of differentiation and I'm so-so with integration, and I've never touched multivariable calculus or differential equations etc. (Note I didn't do A levels in high school, I did the normal high school curriculum here in SA)

I'm SO stoked to have been given an offer from UCL but I'm wondering whether I'll be able to cope with the math. So my question boils down to: do universities in the UK teach calculus (in the engineering programs)? Or do they just quickly skim over all the A-level material and presume you have a solid foundation in calculus?

Thanks in advance for any responses :smile:
J

I personally would advise doing a postgraduate MSc in chemical engineering instead....doing another bachelors on top of the one you have would be a waste of time if I'm honest!

In terms of the mathematics it is rigorous and they do go over A-level material (not in detail though) but very quickly because it is assumed people already know the basics from A-level. It gets a lot more advanced in second year too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending