The Student Room Group

Drunk called a recruiter - HELP!!!

So i went out at the weekend and got drunk. Looking through my phone today and found that I accidentally called a member of the recruitment team that work at a place I'm going to start working at later this year.

The call was meant for someone else who has the same first name as the recruiter (they're next to each other in my phonebook).

Over the course of the evening I called it accidentally 4 times and think I left 2 voicemails and I've got no idea what i said - probably something like "where are you? I'm by the bar" etc. I hope I didn't swear but i can't be sure.

I'm really worried about whats going to happen - do you think i could lose the job offer i have? All the documentation has been signed etc.

What do I do now!?

Please help, as you can imagine i'm worrying like mad.
Was this a mobile or a landline and would they have your number saved?

I would just stay quiet. If they mention anything, just say you must have pressed the wrong number in your phone when you were out with friends - make a joke out of it. As long as you didn't say anything grossly offensive I doubt they would let you go/have grounds to let you go.
Reply 2
Original post by Lady Comstock
Was this a mobile or a landline and would they have your number saved?

I would just stay quiet. If they mention anything, just say you must have pressed the wrong number in your phone when you were out with friends - make a joke out of it. As long as you didn't say anything grossly offensive I doubt they would let you go/have grounds to let you go.

It's a landline, the recruiters desk office phone. I don't think my name would come up on the phone but they would be able to find that its me if they were to search the number in their system. I don't think I would have sworn but I can't be sure.
Original post by Anonymous
It's a landline, the recruiters desk office phone. I don't think my name would come up on the phone but they would be able to find that its me if they were to search the number in their system. I don't think I would have sworn but I can't be sure.

I doubt they would go to all that effort. If that was me I would just chuckle to my colleague about it and delete the voice message.

Very best case scenario: you didn't leave any voicemail at all or you left one which didn't even say anything and the staff member deletes it.

Best case scenario: you left a voicemail but it didn't say anything rude and they just delete it.

Worst case scenario: you left a voicemail and they contact you about it. You just respond saying you didn't realise you had done it and that it was an error. They just forget about it.

Very worst case scenario: you left a rude voicemail, they take the trouble to match the number to you, they contact you telling you off, you apologise and they move on.

Either way, I really cannot see it leading you to lose your job. If you've accepted the job offer by signing then it's no longer a job offer - you became an employee upon accepting the job offer.

I really wouldn't worry.
That's it, you ****ed it. Better continue searching.
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
That's it, you ****ed it. Better continue searching.

Do you really think so? :frown:
Most HR departments aren't staffed well enough to answer their phones - I'd be very surprised if they are sufficiently organised to check their answer machine messages. If they do, they're not going to spend any time investigating who the call was from. They'll just assume it was a wrong number. Even if they did know it was you, it's not a reason for rescinding a job offer, which they probably couldn't do even if they wanted. There's no need for you to follow it up or think about it again.
Reply 7
Original post by MonteCristo
Most HR departments aren't staffed well enough to answer their phones - I'd be very surprised if they are sufficiently organised to check their answer machine messages. If they do, they're not going to spend any time investigating who the call was from. They'll just assume it was a wrong number. Even if they did know it was you, it's not a reason for rescinding a job offer, which they probably couldn't do even if they wanted. There's no need for you to follow it up or think about it again.

This was a direct number to a specific member of staff though, they 100% check their voicemails because I've left one before a while ago and the lady called me back. Here's hoping I didn't say anything rude etc or something that could make them want to not hire me. I know I'm worrying a lot but I just can't believe it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending