The Student Room Group

Is this Cambridge summer school legit?

I was on the internet and I came across this summer school called 'Cambridge Immerse'. It claims to not be affiliated with the university but takes place at one of the colleges which I don't mind. However, when making the application it asks for a deposit straight away which I found a bit sketchy. Does anyone know about this programme or attended it? Anyone even heard of it? Here is the link: https://www.cambridgeimmerse.com

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I was on the internet and I came across this summer school called 'Cambridge Immerse'. It claims to not be affiliated with the university but takes place at one of the colleges which I don't mind. However, when making the application it asks for a deposit straight away which I found a bit sketchy. Does anyone know about this programme or attended it? Anyone even heard of it? Here is the link: https://www.cambridgeimmerse.com

£3695 for 2 weeks??? I think you'd be better off buying a few books and studying your chosen subject over the summer yourself. I wouldn't pay that for any summer school.
Reply 2
That fee is ridiculously expensive, honestly do not even bother regardless of the fact it's related to Cambridge.
Original post by mscaffrey
£3695 for 2 weeks??? I think you'd be better off buying a few books and studying your chosen subject over the summer yourself. I wouldn't pay that for any summer school.

yeah i didn't even notice that
Original post by Inexorably
That fee is ridiculously expensive, honestly do not even bother regardless of the fact it's related to Cambridge.

yeah i didn't realise. you're probably right
Reply 5

You're wasting your money on paying for summer schools when there's sutton trust, college residentials and UNIQ at Oxford.

For £3,700 you could do so much more - think of the amount of private tutoring you could get for that and the even bigger impact that would make.
Reply 6
None of these high-cost Summer Schools are approved or directly affiliated to Cambridge. The companies just rent the facilities, and coin in the profits.

Stay clear.
Best summer school to do in Cambridge is the one actually hosted by the University. Check out University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education.
Don't go for it.
You could literally borrow some interesting books from your local library for free if you want something cool to talk about.

There's also the Sutton Trust scheme which is completely free
Original post by foreignbloke
Best summer school to do in Cambridge is the one actually hosted by the University. Check out University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education.

That's mainly for adult education, not designed for prospective applicants. Hence the name 'continuing education.'

You seem to be busy spreading various wrong info last few days.......:tongue:
Original post by vincrows
That's mainly for adult education, not designed for prospective applicants. Hence the name 'continuing education.'

You seem to be busy spreading various wrong info last few days.......:tongue:

I went for that. Used the essay you can opt in for as my submitted work for my application.
I wouldn't call it a scam, but it isn't a million miles off.

£3700?????? WTF.

This is what you do, buy some books and work through them at the villa in Portugal you rented for the two weeks. Then come home and chill with the £1500 you still have left.
Original post by foreignbloke
I went for that. Used the essay you can opt in for as my submitted work for my application.

Of course you can if you want to, if your aim is just explore your subject and enrich your knowledge. But the nature and purpose of the courses at ICE are different from what a typical summer school for prospective university applicants offer. Probably not what OP is looking for.

And it's really not necessary to spend so much money on attending those kind of courses, any way. There're many successful Cambridge applicants around me but none of them has attended any summer school of any kind for Cambridge applicants.
You can do a lot of things for free or at much cheaper cost if you use your imagination and be creative. Just reading a lot and widely in the subject and think about what you read is often enough.
If you want to attend a lecture/talk on the subject, there're many organisations that offer it for free or at much lower charge, too.

Hey I came across this course too. What did you decide to do?
Original post by louise678
Hey I came across this course too. What did you decide to do?

I didn't go for it
I didn't go for it

Thank god!

I don't know if this is rude, but anyone paying for those kind of events shouldn't be going to Cambridge! :biggrin:
I am going to study international relations at the Immerse summer school this year after a family friend recommended it last year and said she had an amazing time. Just checking - is anyone else from tsr going this year?

I know it's expensive (just as with anything to do with private education, boarding schools etc.) but I think it could be a really fun couple of weeks this summer. Can't wait!!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by louisat12
I am going to study international relations at the Immerse summer school this year after a family friend recommended it last year and said she had an amazing time. Just checking - is anyone else from tsr going this year?

I know it's expensive (just as with anything to do with private education, boarding schools etc.) but I think it could be a really fun couple of weeks this summer. Can't wait!!!!! :biggrin:

All the responses are so negative but none of them seem to have attended the school! I recently heard about it and I really want to go for the international relations too. Will you go during 2017? I think it looks terrific, not only the tutoring but also the extra-curricular activities as well as the workshops (personal statement, interview skills..)

Are you doing anything in preparation??
Reply 18
Original post by IreneBMo
All the responses are so negative but none of them seem to have attended the school! I recently heard about it and I really want to go for the international relations too. Will you go during 2017? I think it looks terrific, not only the tutoring but also the extra-curricular activities as well as the workshops (personal statement, interview skills..)

Are you doing anything in preparation??

It's a complete waste of money.
Original post by alow
It's a complete waste of money.

Have you been to it?

Latest

Trending

Trending