The Student Room Group

Will a temporary external exclusion from high school have impact on my future?

Jumping straight to the point, I have recently been externally excluded from my high school...twice. I am worried about this impairing my chances of getting into college.

I will start by introducing myself, hoping that the above statement doesn't make you think badly of me. I am a year 11 student, studying hard for my GCSEs, wanting to secure my chosen study path of computing at college. I feel as if I am achieving decent grades, with most subjects at Bs, some Cs and some even As.

I won't try to blame the school, even though it is probably the worst in the area and has recently been put in special measures. The deputy staff there is also not very nice.

The first exclusion lasted one week and was due to myself writing negatively about the school and some of its staff on my Facebook account. Turns out the school goes through students' social media but I have no objection to the exclusion.

The second, very recent exclusion, I consider very unfair. Based on the false statements of one student, I have been blamed for something my friend, also excluded, has done on the internet and for questioning said student why she reported my friend for doing said thing, instead of talking to him. Me and my mother are taking this decision up with the school's board of governors as we think it is a very drastic punishment for a poorly investigated situation.

Now to my question. Even though this is probably an overreaction, I am continuously worrying about how these exclusions will make me look like to colleges. I worry so much that I find myself thinking about it every day, unable to focus on anything else and sometimes even sleep.

Has anyone got any idea of whether this situation will have any impact on me getting into college?

Thank you for your help in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Quite possibly it could affect the chance of you getting on into the college you want, depending very much on the college and your school's policy on disclosing information about your behaviour during your time there.
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
Quite possibly it could affect the chance of you getting on into the college you want, depending very much on the college and your school's policy on disclosing information about your behaviour during your time there.

Ouch, hurts to hear! :biggrin:

At the last meeting with my school's head teacher, regarding the first exclusion, I was informed that it would not be referred to and that our year 11 reports have already been sent to the college I have applied to so I am hoping there is truth behind that.
Reply 3
Original post by matek4505
Ouch, hurts to hear! :biggrin:

At the last meeting with my school's head teacher, regarding the first exclusion, I was informed that it would not be referred to and that our year 11 reports have already been sent to the college I have applied to so I am hoping there is truth behind that.

I would ask to speak the head teacher again, showing as much regret as you can muster, to be on the safe side :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending