The Student Room Group

Moving to an all electric flat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rakas21
Your TV uses less than 15p per hour, i've had a token meter before. I'm on my PC about the same.

Are you actually using the hot water at those times? Is it set to be on for more than 2 hours each morning and evening? It's probable that your being severely shafted.

Do you use your PC alot? Is it a gaming PC? I am asking because I have one too and would like to use it after work and during weekends so I wonder if it will make a huge difference to the bill.
Original post by mynameisblu
Thats good to know. Are you living in a fairly modern-ish flat too? I think I will only need one heater on in the living room and buy a warm blanket for the bed when going to sleep.

More or less. Yeah, just stick on one small heater in the room and keep any draft sources insulated.
Do you use your PC alot? Is it a gaming PC? I am asking because I have one too and would like to use it after work and during weekends so I wonder if it will make a huge difference to the bill.

Yeah. Self build.

They are actually pretty efficient (no worse than 50 inch TV's) so don't worry.
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah. Self build.

They are actually pretty efficient (no worse than 50 inch TV's) so don't worry.

is your heater a storage heater or a convector type?
Hi,

Since after graduating I am finally moving into my own flat which is all electric. I am a bit concerned now as a google search is giving me a very wide range of bill price I can expect to pay. it ranges from £15 to £220 a month! :afraid:.

The ground floor flat is a modern built about 3 years old with an EPC rating of D. It is a good size but not too large. The report states it will cost about £1650 over three years but I will probably use more especially because I use the cooker and hot water a lot (2/3 showers a weekday, 1 shower on weekend day). I am usually at work from 7 am to 4 pm but will be in all day over the 2/3 weekends over the month. The flat has Electric heaters but I don't think they're those storage kind, just simply electric heaters.

Edit; To Add more info:

1. I only need washing machine to be on once a week as I have enough work clothes to last a week.
2. My desktop PC will most likely be on all the time so maybe I will have to turn it off.

I don't know if it is on Eco 7 or not but will find out tomorrow and post back here. How much do you guys pay for an all electric flat? Do you really think I will hit that £220 mark which seems very very high. Anything under £100 I am happy with.

Thank you.

why so many showers?
is your heater a storage heater or a convector type?

Storage heater.
Reply 26
Original post by Rakas21
Storage heater.

I think this flat has convector type heaters but definitely not storage heaters. Will this drive up the cost a lot?
Original post by Rakas21
Your TV uses less than 15p per hour, i've had a token meter before. I'm on my PC about the same.

Are you actually using the hot water at those times? Is it set to be on for more than 2 hours each morning and evening? It's probable that your being severely shafted.

I use the hot water water once in the morning to shower, I use more in the evening for dishes, washing, shower and bath for my son. I'll check it out, I did think the bill was a bit high especially as I don't use the heating in the summer.
Reply 28
Another thing I have read online is that these electric heated flats are damp..is this true?
Another thing I have read online is that these electric heated flats are damp..is this true?

Damp is temperature related, not heating source related.
Reply 30
Original post by Rakas21
Damp is temperature related, not heating source related.

and have you ever had this problem when your temperature wasn't right because you either left the heating on or off?
Find out where your meter is. Some companies offer those measuring devices you cna plug in and they tell you how many kwh you are using. Maybe monitor it every few weeks.
My flat is all electric It doesnt have economy 7 :frown:.

Things that cost the most id think.

Boiler.
Heating. If your flat isnt well insulated this can be a killer.
Cooker= very inefficiuent imo. Microwave is better.
Washing machine.

Things i find ok PC and TV.

Have a look for a good deal on uswitch to make sure you are on a good tariff with a good provider.
and have you ever had this problem when your temperature wasn't right because you either left the heating on or off?

No.
Reply 33
Original post by 999tigger
Find out where your meter is. Some companies offer those measuring devices you cna plug in and they tell you how many kwh you are using. Maybe monitor it every few weeks.
My flat is all electric It doesnt have economy 7 :frown:.

Things that cost the most id think.

Boiler.
Heating. If your flat isnt well insulated this can be a killer.
Cooker= very inefficiuent imo. Microwave is better.
Washing machine.

Things i find ok PC and TV.

Have a look for a good deal on uswitch to make sure you are on a good tariff with a good provider.

So how much does electricity cost you a month?
1 bed flat £65 a month. If I used heating and water properly could be £100-120..
Reply 35
1 bed flat £65 a month. If I used heating and water properly could be £100-120..

wow £120 is pushing it
wow £120 is pushing it

I think normal is 65-80 range, but insulation makes a big difference. Im in a modern appartment block, but i dont think all the laminate and glass makes it warm and cosy.be careful about going overboard till you know how much you use. You cna always ring the electric company up and ask them for the latest bill.

In my block there were some Spanis students and they didnt realise, they just had the electric heaters on all the time and they got an eye watering bill apparently.

What in the hell are you doing to get a £65 per month electric bill? Mine's more or less half that.

Are you economy 7? Have you been leaving your immersion boiler switched on?
Reply 38
999tigger does not have economy 7 tarriff which might be why the bill is £65 a month with frugal use.
Original post by Rakas21
What in the hell are you doing to get a £65 per month electric bill? Mine's more or less half that.

Are you economy 7? Have you been leaving your immersion boiler switched on?

No economy7. Its probably my PC, which is on all the time. I probably need to move to a better tariff. Although the flat is new the insulation is poor imo with a lot of glass. I am not excessive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending