The Student Room Group

Moving to an all electric flat

Hi,

Since after graduating I am finally moving into my own flat which is all electric. I am a bit concerned now as a google search is giving me a very wide range of bill price I can expect to pay. it ranges from £15 to £220 a month! :afraid:.

The ground floor flat is a modern built about 3 years old with an EPC rating of D. It is a good size but not too large. The report states it will cost about £1650 over three years but I will probably use more especially because I use the cooker and hot water a lot (2/3 showers a weekday, 1 shower on weekend day). I am usually at work from 7 am to 4 pm but will be in all day over the 2/3 weekends over the month. The flat has Electric heaters but I don't think they're those storage kind, just simply electric heaters.

Edit; To Add more info:

1. I only need washing machine to be on once a week as I have enough work clothes to last a week.
2. My desktop PC will most likely be on all the time so maybe I will have to turn it off.

I don't know if it is on Eco 7 or not but will find out tomorrow and post back here. How much do you guys pay for an all electric flat? Do you really think I will hit that £220 mark which seems very very high. Anything under £100 I am happy with.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisblu
Hi,

Since after graduating I am finally moving into my own flat which is all electric. I am a bit concerned now as a google search is giving me a very wide range of bill price I can expect to pay. it ranges from £15 to £220 a month! :afraid:.

The ground floor flat is a modern built about 3 years old with an EPC rating of D. It is a good size but not too large. The report states it will cost about £1650 over three years but I will probably use more especially because I use the cooker and hot water a lot (2/3 showers a weekday, 1 shower on weekend day). I am usually at work from 7 am to 4 pm but will be in all day over the 2/3 weekends over the month. The flat has Electric heaters but I don't think they're those storage kind, just simply electric heaters.

I don't know if it is on Eco 7 or not but will find out tomorrow and post back here. How much do you guys pay for an all electric flat? Do you really think I will hit that £220 mark which seems very very high. Anything under £100 I am happy with.

Thank you.

do you shower 2-3 times during the week or you shower 2-3 times each weekday?
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
do you shower 2-3 times during the week or you shower 2-3 times each weekday?

I usually shower twice a weekday, one before and one after work. Sometimes if I go out I shower again before bed so 2-3 times each weekday. lol I love hot showers mate.
I usually shower twice a weekday, one before and one after work. Sometimes if I go out I shower again before bed so 2-3 times each weekday. lol I love hot showers mate.

o.o that's a lot i know some ppl who don't shower like for a whole week and the abosloutley reek of BO *dies

but personally since i have time i get up early and go for a quick 11 min run then have a shower and that happens almost everyday. :smile:
My flat is all electric. I'm only out the house about 5 hours per day so I use quite a lot. My bills vary, usually they're around £80 a month (I get them quarterly) although my latest winter bill only came to about £45 a month, not sure how that happened. Use your washing machine in the evening rather than the day as it's cheaper and turn off all your appliances at the plug when you're not using them to save money. I have storage heaters and they're pricey!
Reply 5
o.o that's a lot i know some ppl who don't shower like for a whole week and the abosloutley reek of BO *dies

but personally since i have time i get up early and go for a quick 11 min run then have a shower and that happens almost everyday. :smile:

Yeah I don't know how those people wake up in the morning without a shower.

Do you live in an all electric flat too? How much does it cost you?
Yeah I don't know how those people wake up in the morning without a shower.

Do you live in an all electric flat too? How much does it cost you?

unfortunately i'm still a student in grammar school xD
Reply 7
Original post by Alice__90
My flat is all electric. I'm only out the house about 5 hours per day so I use quite a lot. My bills vary, usually they're around £80 a month (I get them quarterly) although my latest winter bill only came to about £45 a month, not sure how that happened. Use your washing machine in the evening rather than the day as it's cheaper and turn off all your appliances at the plug when you're not using them to save money. I have storage heaters and they're pricey!

Thanks, are you on Eco 7? You have storage heaters that can store cheap energy during the night but the flat I am moving into only has wall mounted electric heaters so I can't use all of the cheap night rates.
Reply 8
unfortunately i'm still a student in grammar school xD

lool :gthumb:
lool :gthumb:

it's so much fun :biggrin:
Thanks, are you on Eco 7? You have storage heaters that can store cheap energy during the night but the flat I am moving into only has wall mounted electric heaters so I can't use all of the cheap night rates.

I am yes, I usually have the heaters on in the morning for a couple of hours and evening. When it gets to about April I don't need them on at all, my flat's one of those that is stifling hot in summer! It's a very large 2 bed. I only work part time so I'm home a lot!
Hi,

Thank you.

I moved into an all electric flat and pay £30 per month however i only use one heater and am on eco 7.

I'd budget around £40 per month for more usage than me. If your on an immersion boiler just don't be stupid to leave it switched on, just turn on an hour before you want a shower or to wash up.

Do you have an immersion boiler?
Reply 13
Original post by Rakas21
I moved into an all electric flat and pay £30 per month however i only use one heater and am on eco 7.

I'd budget around £40 per month for more usage than me. If your on an immersion boiler just don't be stupid to leave it switched on, just turn on an hour before you want a shower or to wash up.

So £70 for myself you think?

Yeah it does have an immersion boiler which I doubt I will need to turn on more than once a day since their heat loss is like 1 kw over 24 hours.
Original post by Rakas21
Do you have an immersion boiler?

Yeah, it's quite an old system.
So £70 for myself you think?

Yeah it does have an immersion boiler which I doubt I will need to turn on more than once a day since their heat loss is like 1 kw over 24 hours.

No chance, your bill even with heaters on (i leave one heater on permanently on the lowest setting) won't come to more than £50.

Yeah, it's basically designed to be like a giant kettle so when you leave the switch on all day what your telling it to do is constantly boil. Just turn it on an hour before your first shower and then turn it off afterward or before you go out. Apparently some people are stupid enough to leave it on all the time.
Yeah, it's quite an old system.

Then the likely reason for your £80 bills is potentially that your leaving it switched on when you don't need to (after an hour the water within is at its maximum temperature so even using it there's no point having it switched on for several hours.
Original post by Rakas21
Then the likely reason for your £80 bills is potentially that your leaving it switched on when you don't need to (after an hour the water within is at its maximum temperature so even using it there's no point having it switched on for several hours.

To be honest, I've actually not checked it since I moved in, my landlord said it was on an automatic timer for morning and evening so I just let it do its thing. I'll have a look. (I do have the TV going about 12 hours a day though, I feel uncomfortable without background noise!)
To be honest, I've actually not checked it since I moved in, my landlord said it was on an automatic timer for morning and evening so I just let it do its thing. I'll have a look. (I do have the TV going about 12 hours a day though, I feel uncomfortable without background noise!)

Your TV uses less than 15p per hour, i've had a token meter before. I'm on my PC about the same.

Are you actually using the hot water at those times? Is it set to be on for more than 2 hours each morning and evening? It's probable that your being severely shafted.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
No chance, your bill even with heaters on (i leave one heater on permanently on the lowest setting) won't come to more than £50.

Yeah, it's basically designed to be like a giant kettle so when you leave the switch on all day what your telling it to do is constantly boil. Just turn it on an hour before your first shower and then turn it off afterward or before you go out. Apparently some people are stupid enough to leave it on all the time.

Thats good to know. Are you living in a fairly modern-ish flat too? I think I will only need one heater on in the living room and buy a warm blanket for the bed when going to sleep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending