The Student Room Group

How to study maths independently?

How do I study maths? I have A level maths and further maths at A* and qualified for BMO1 at school, but had to drop out of uni.

I would like to study maths for my own interest.

I own enough texts to get a good grounding in undergrad maths and then some postgrad texts on areas that looked interesting to me (though obviously I don't know if I'd feel the same after studying the undergrad ones).

I get bored just reading quite easily and usually give up after about 5 pages at most.
Reply 1
Original post by nohomo
How do I study maths? I have A level maths and further maths at A* and qualified for BMO1 at school, but had to drop out of uni.

I would like to study maths for my own interest.

I own enough texts to get a good grounding in undergrad maths and then some postgrad texts on areas that looked interesting to me (though obviously I don't know if I'd feel the same after studying the undergrad ones).

I get bored just reading quite easily and usually give up after about 5 pages at most.

Have you tried MIT OpenCourseware, Harvard Extension and even edX?
Reply 2
The best way is to pick up a textbook, do some problems and think about why they work. It may take you several hours just to do one problem, but if you understand it, that will beat anything you may "remember" from any lecture slides.
Reply 3
Original post by djpailo
The best way is to pick up a textbook, do some problems and think about why they work. It may take you several hours just to do one problem, but if you understand it, that will beat anything you may "remember" from any lecture slides.

Great suggestion!

Quick Reply

Latest