The Student Room Group

would you be upset with this valentines gift?

Ive been with my boyfriend a year and this is our first valentines, I got my boyfriend a moonpig card and a book that i personalised all about him from https://thebookofeveryone.com/uk and i got him some lindt chocolates

he got me a little notebook set: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/millie-marottas-animal-kingdom-journal-set/9781849942911 which i do appeciate as i study something art based and i love the colouring books by the same brand.

however i didnt get a card and i didnt get anything valentines related. I know you dont give to receive but i cant help but feel a little sad that he only grabbed me a last minute gift for the sake of having something to give to me.

am i being selfish? how would you feel if you was in my position?

Scroll to see replies

Be glad you even got a gift
I got nothing

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Be glad you even got a gift
I got nothing

Spoiler

thats not my problem?
I doubt it was a last minute gift, it actually seems really sweet that he would get something relating to your interests rather than a bear or a random card that isn't personal to your relationship, if it is bothering you, maybe you could talk to him? But it's only your first Valentine's together and it isn't a bad gift :smile:
Maybe he's just not a good gifter how are his other gift ideas? Guys lack common sense, I've gotten gifts that had nothing to do with anything but I was so " inlove" I didn't see the ridiculousness. But I will never stoop to that level again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Blondie987
I doubt it was a last minute gift, it actually seems really sweet that he would get something relating to your interests rather than a bear or a random card that isn't personal to your relationship, if it is bothering you, maybe you could talk to him? But it's only your first Valentine's together and it isn't a bad gift :smile:

he got it last night after he forgot to tell me he was working all day today to make me feel better:\
Is he struggling with money at the moment? That may be a factor.
It doesn't really matter what he got you or what you got him, the gesture is what counts.
Some people take Valentine's day less seriously than others, which I don't think has anything to do with their partner, but rather their own experiences and interpretations of it prior to being in a relationship. Unless you made it obvious to him that Valentine's Day was a big deal/you wanted a Valentine's-related present, I personally wouldn't be upset in your situation (the gift is really cute! :smile:) however if he knew it was important that you got something romantic, maybe I would be quite annoyed. He might've thought it was better to go for something personal to you instead of the generic valentines type gifts.
He obviously thought about what you might like, a last minute gift sounds more like chocolates or flowers tbh
Original post by xobeauty
Guys lack common sense

HAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:
Original post by Justmoll28
he got it last night after he forgot to tell me he was working all day today to make me feel better:\

I think it's better than no gift at all, I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, especially if he had been caught up with the work, if it is something that's annoying you, just talk to him and tell him how you feel but it's just one day that is really more about the gesture itself than anything else :smile:
Love language!
Original post by xobeauty
Maybe he's just not a good gifter how are his other gift ideas? Guys lack common sense, I've gotten gifts that had nothing to do with anything but I was so " inlove" I didn't see the ridiculousness. But I will never scoop to that level again.

hmm, christmas i got no card (again) and a bakery book which was cute i guess because i like to bake, but my birthday i got no card (which actually upset me this time because i keep cards for years) and a massive minnie mouse teddy which has nothing to do with anything but he called it cute...for a 19 year old its a little lame..

i feel like i put in miles more effort than him when it comes to gives and treating each other..
Original post by Mayhem™
Is he struggling with money at the moment? That may be a factor.

nope he just got a new job actually
Ive been with my boyfriend a year and this is our first valentines, I got my boyfriend a moonpig card and a book that i personalised all about him from https://thebookofeveryone.com/uk and i got him some lindt chocolates

he got me a little notebook set: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/millie-marottas-animal-kingdom-journal-set/9781849942911 which i do appeciate as i study something art based and i love the colouring books by the same brand.

however i didnt get a card and i didnt get anything valentines related. I know you dont give to receive but i cant help but feel a little sad that he only grabbed me a last minute gift for the sake of having something to give to me.

am i being selfish? how would you feel if you was in my position?

Tbh I'm one of those girls who would be a bit sad and disappointed that he did not do a card and make things personal but would keep it to myself because it's the thought that counts. I do prefer homemade stuff to purchased gifts.
thats not my problem?

That's just mean?
how would you feel if you was in my position?

I wouldn't be fussed 'cause idgaf about valentines. However it appears you two are one of those couples that actually think it matters (???) sooo... hm.

It's only your first one and blokes are notoriously a bit crap at this stuff...he tried. Give him some credit
Original post by Emilia28
Some people take Valentine's day less seriously than others, which I don't think has anything to do with their partner, but rather their own experiences and interpretations of it prior to being in a relationship. Unless you made it obvious to him that Valentine's Day was a big deal/you wanted a Valentine's-related present, I personally wouldn't be upset in your situation (the gift is really cute! :smile:) however if he knew it was important that you got something romantic, maybe I would be quite annoyed. He might've thought it was better to go for something personal to you instead of the generic valentines type gifts.

i specifically told him that valentines day was a huge thing to me as im a romantic person and it was our first one together (we didnt even celebrate christmas or new years together because he doesnt celebrate it) i mean, i just wanted a love related card tbh..
I would appreciate getting anything. But definitely moreso if I felt they had put some time and effort into the present, which he may or may not have done. I would judge it individually. As I know some people are simply bad at gift giving, for more reasons than one. And others are just lazy. If it is the latter, then I'm going to be irritated.

Quick Reply