The Student Room Group

Birkbeck/City/Manchester

Hey there,

So I have applied to study Arts Management (slightly differing titles here and there) and been accepted to City, Birkbeck and Manchester. Now kinda swaying in between Birkbeck and Manchester, for differing reasons;

Birkbeck: part time, able to study and get my career really going, University of London degree, decent content.

Manchester: great university, brand new city, cheapest, Russell Group, content that really fits my career plans

Common sense tells me to move to Manchester, but studying a degree related to the arts and creative industries would be amazing in London.

Thoughts?

Background: English degree from Essex Uni, did ok could have done better, wanting to work in event management, marketing comms, PR and media relations before opening my own company doing the same for literature, film, theatre and television.
(edited 8 years ago)
I feel like London must be the best option for what you want to do, but that Manchester wouldn't be bad at all. If you prefer Manchester's course there is nothing stopping you from moving to London when you've finished it. Being able to work alongside the course seems very valuable because the experience you have will almost always trump your qualifications anyway.
Original post by ByronicHero
I feel like London must be the best option for what you want to do, but that Manchester wouldn't be bad at all. If you prefer Manchester's course there is nothing stopping you from moving to London when you've finished it. Being able to work alongside the course seems very valuable because the experience you have will almost always trump your qualifications anyway.

Your point is excellent, and hits the nail on the head of my dilemma. I have some work experience (I actually graduated in 2012) but working and studying would be a great boon.
Moving away from London seems counter-productive, but the course at Manchester feels like 99% match whereas Birkbeck is more like 90%...but I liked Birkbeck as a university more...
Original post by writeratheart90
Your point is excellent, and hits the nail on the head of my dilemma. I have some work experience (I actually graduated in 2012) but working and studying would be a great boon.
Moving away from London seems counter-productive, but the course at Manchester feels like 99% match whereas Birkbeck is more like 90%...but I liked Birkbeck as a university more...

It's a very hard decision to make and I don't think there is a wrong answer. If I were you I would probably do the course at Manchester and then move to London if that was the broader intention. It sounds like you really want to do that course which is, after all, the entire point!
Original post by ByronicHero
It's a very hard decision to make and I don't think there is a wrong answer. If I were you I would probably do the course at Manchester and then move to London if that was the broader intention. It sounds like you really want to do that course which is, after all, the entire point!

Well move BACK to London, but yes that was the intention. Either that or try and reach for NYC, but that's slightly less attainable. I agree that the course is the most important, I guess I'm just apprehensive of moving AWAY from the capital to a city I've never lived in before to study a course which centres itself on the management and policy-making of arts and culture.
Discussion update:

City won out in the end. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Discussion update:

City won out in the end. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did City win, even if it was your last choice in the beginning?
I´m deciding between City and Birkbeck for a Masters in Politics.

Thanks!
Original post by rgcf
Why did City win, even if it was your last choice in the beginning?
I´m deciding between City and Birkbeck for a Masters in Politics.

Thanks!

Hi there!

It was a combination of factors really, so I will keep them brief:

1. Birkbeck changed the content and structure of their course last year (aka my decision year) to the point where it was of no interest to me and I couldn't create the module combinations I needed for my goals.
2. I visited Manchester and, though the university has a good standing, the atmosphere didn't appeal to me, the alumni were not convincing and it was a bit weak compared to their literature and website if I am honest.
3. LinkedIn! I essentially did a search of the three courses and connected with alumni to gauge where they were at (of course this is not foolproof, but it helped). The difference between City graduates and the other two was outstanding, which made me look back on it with a fresh eye.

Side note of less importance: I did factor in the uni reputation; went against the grain and picked City anyway, and now it's 18th in the country and highest out of the 3; so don't get too blinded by that.

TL;DR: Speak to alumni; ignore rankings; re-read modules and keep double checking; the right one will become clear.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your choice :smile:
Reply 8
Hi there!

It was a combination of factors really, so I will keep them brief:

1. Birkbeck changed the content and structure of their course last year (aka my decision year) to the point where it was of no interest to me and I couldn't create the module combinations I needed for my goals.
2. I visited Manchester and, though the university has a good standing, the atmosphere didn't appeal to me, the alumni were not convincing and it was a bit weak compared to their literature and website if I am honest.
3. LinkedIn! I essentially did a search of the three courses and connected with alumni to gauge where they were at (of course this is not foolproof, but it helped). The difference between City graduates and the other two was outstanding, which made me look back on it with a fresh eye.

Side note of less importance: I did factor in the uni reputation; went against the grain and picked City anyway, and now it's 18th in the country and highest out of the 3; so don't get too blinded by that.

TL;DR: Speak to alumni; ignore rankings; re-read modules and keep double checking; the right one will become clear.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your choice :smile:

Thank you very much, it sure helps a lot!
I am already re-reading modules, trying to come to an objective conclusion.
And now I will search linkedin for alumni to talk to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending