Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student loans company - useless???

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pulled out of uni in December and have been trying to sort things out with the SLC ever since! I have written to them loads of times and haven't received a great deal of sense from then.

I took out a tuition fee loan but I don't owe it all back because I left after 3 months. They originally told me I would have to get money back from uni and then give it back to them. When I contacted uni they thought this was rubbish and after investigating the letter found the information was wrong. Basically, it seems the people that answer the phone calls and letters don't know what the SLC's procedures are and you just can't get a straight answer!

I found out amount I owed from the uni and sent SLC a letter and cheque explaining everything. They wrote back confirming payment but say they haven't received anything stating I owe less than the full amount and haven't got any money back from the uni - even though I wrote to them the same day I left uni and they were quick to claim my grant back!!

Anyone else had problems with them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    I had a lot of trouble persuading them that my £3000 tuition fee couldn't be paid in 2 installments of £600 :rolleyes:

I can believe that!!! :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree they do appear to be useless, after being told to travel to my LA in another city i was very annoyed when i arrived to be asked why I didn't go to the one in my own town........
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You don't even see the tuition fee loan - that's ridiculous. What makes it worse is that they pay the tuition loan to the uni in 2 installments, the first in February!!!
    I can only see in that situation that it's possible that you may not be entitled to the fee loan, in which case you would get a letter off the uni asking you to pay fees direct to them.
    I don't think they like people paying them back early - it confuses them.
    Hope you get it sorted. If all else fails ask to speak to a supervisor. At least they will have a bit more of an idea of what you're on about. (theoretically!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenmile)
    You don't even see the tuition fee loan - that's ridiculous. What makes it worse is that they pay the tuition loan to the uni in 2 installments, the first in February!!!
    I can only see in that situation that it's possible that you may not be entitled to the fee loan, in which case you would get a letter off the uni asking you to pay fees direct to them.
    I don't think they like people paying them back early - it confuses them.
    Hope you get it sorted. If all else fails ask to speak to a supervisor. At least they will have a bit more of an idea of what you're on about. (theoretically!)
    I just can't get any sense out of them and they say 'it's not possible to speak to anyone else'! They just don't seem to have a procedure for dealing with any problems. E.g. one of their staff sent me a letter which they later said was complete rubbish - or words to that effect!! I never thought repaying money would be so difficult - think they like to collect interest from people!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are USELESS, i blatantly said on my online form that im applying for income assessed, and now they're telling me that i supposedly 'stated' that im applying for non-income assessed which is complete bull****T and i have to contact my LEA about it. They even sent me the income-assessed forms twice, why would they do that if i told them im applying for non-income assessed!

They've also managed to change my mums date of birth - 06/02/1959 to 11/11/1911 (which my mum is not very impressed about) and changed her place of birth to our present address!!! So she is supposedly a 96 year old who was born and living at the same address for her whole life.. how sad!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The student loans company are ****, i tried ringing up about leaving uni and wat would happen about my old loan! they were so so unhelpful and the guy on the phone was just blantantly rude! he asked me wat the 2nd and 5th letter was of the most memorable place i had ever been wtf????!!??? it was 2 years ago that i applied how am i meant to know lol. When i said i didnt know he told me to 'next time, how about trying to remember information rather than just forgetting it!' . What an idiot! I sent a complaint letter and just got a half arsed apology from some manager"
    What i would advise is speaking to your LEA, even though they dont directly give out the money they have a lot more knowledge about different circumstances and can speak to the SLC on your behalf!
    Sorry for the rant but it annoyed me so much the way i was treated and feel that they think just becuse we are students we dont deserve respect or even respectable customer service!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah-louise123)
    The student loans company are ****, i tried ringing up about leaving uni and wat would happen about my old loan! they were so so unhelpful and the guy on the phone was just blantantly rude! he asked me wat the 2nd and 5th letter was of the most memorable place i had ever been wtf????!!??? it was 2 years ago that i applied how am i meant to know lol. When i said i didnt know he told me to 'next time, how about trying to remember information rather than just forgetting it!' . What an idiot! I sent a complaint letter and just got a half arsed apology from some manager"
    What i would advise is speaking to your LEA, even though they dont directly give out the money they have a lot more knowledge about different circumstances and can speak to the SLC on your behalf!
    Sorry for the rant but it annoyed me so much the way i was treated and feel that they think just becuse we are students we dont deserve respect or even respectable customer service!
    I know what you mean the first time I phoned they asked for second and fifth letter of my secret answer or some rubbish like that! They wouldn't even say anything at first cos I didn't have a clue. It wasn't til I said do you really think I'd ring up and try to pay back someone elses student loan they stopped being stupid!! Still haven't got any further with them though - doubt I ever will!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are useless, and the people who answer the phones DON'T know the procedures.

I had to phone them today because the letter they sent me yesterday had the wrong course details on it. So I phoned them and they said the SAAS give them their information and they don't have the authority to change it unless the SAAS sends them an electronic update. So I called SAAS who said it was rubbish and that it's the other way about SAAS get their information from SLC, who apparently get their course information from your university.

They've left me perplexed and frustrated.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 22, 2007
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.