The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Level subject choices for Economics

Which of the following A Level subject combinations is the best, in your opinion, for an Economics application?

1) Maths, FM, Physics, Economics
2) Maths, FM, Chemistry, Economics
3) Maths, FM, History, Economics
4) Maths, FM, Physics, History

Thank you, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

The third option, in my opinion.
You show all your maths-y skills and then history shows you have a wider breadth of skills too.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Thanks. I'm still not too sure as to whether I should go all out 'Maths-y' or not as the Economics degree is extremely mathematically orientated.
Original post by The Lovely Panda
Thanks. I'm still not too sure as to whether I should go all out 'Maths-y' or not as the Economics degree is extremely mathematically orientated.

That's not true. :s-smilie:
Original post by SubZero~
That's not true. :s-smilie:

Ah ok. Are you studying Economics at the moment? If so then could you suggest which subjects in your opinion are the best for an application.
I'd probably do 3. :smile:
Ah ok. Are you studying Economics at the moment? If so then could you suggest which subjects in your opinion are the best for an application.

This is my first year of A Levels lol. (AS) But I've been doing research on courses I'd want to do. I think top unis for Economics want Maths at A2 though e.g. LSE and some even want at least an A at GCSE. Some universities may only require a C/B in Maths. It varies I suppose. What universities are you looking at?
Original post by SubZero~
This is my first year of A Levels lol. (AS) But I've been doing research on courses I'd want to do. I think top unis for Economics want Maths at A2 though e.g. LSE and some even want at least an A at GCSE. Some universities may only require a C/B in Maths. It varies I suppose. What universities are you looking at?

LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial (Maths), Edinburgh (Not done too much research to be honest as I'm in Year 11 at the moment. What subjects are you doing?
Which of the following A Level subject combinations is the best, in your opinion, for an Economics application?

1) Maths, FM, Physics, Economics
2) Maths, FM, Chemistry, Economics
3) Maths, FM, History, Economics
4) Maths, FM, Physics, History

Thank you, any help will be greatly appreciated!

None of the above.

5) Psychology, General Studies, Critical Thinking and Food Tech
Original post by econymous
None of the above.

5) Psychology, General Studies, Critical Thinking and Food Tech

Haha fairs mate
I would say the 3rd option, not too sure about the economics degree but maths and further maths is as "maths-y" as it gets! It's good to have an essay based subject if you want to apply to top universities!
Haha fairs mate

DT is also a good shout, and BTEC in Swimming could also be useful for the first year
Original post by econymous
DT is also a good shout, and BTEC in Swimming could also be useful for the first year

Thames is bloody great river to be honest.
LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial (Maths), Edinburgh (Not done too much research to be honest as I'm in Year 11 at the moment. What subjects are you doing?

With the universities you're looking at you definitely will want a strong maths background, but you should get that from maths and FM.

Economics is actually less important as an A level, but it might be worth doing to show your interest in the subject and to give you an idea about some of the concepts when you go to uni.

Don't sweat the last one too much, history would give you essay writing practice which you'll need to do a lot of at uni but they're all good subjects so it just comes down to your preference.
3, definitely. :P Quite close to my current options actually. Mine are Economics, Math, History and either Latin or Philosophy.
Original post by dean01234
With the universities you're looking at you definitely will want a strong maths background, but you should get that from maths and FM.

Economics is actually less important as an A level, but it might be worth doing to show your interest in the subject and to give you an idea about some of the concepts when you go to uni.

Don't sweat the last one too much, history would give you essay writing practice which you'll need to do a lot of at uni but they're all good subjects so it just comes down to your preference.

Thanks. I'm just a bit worried that History might disadvantage myself slightly due to how mathematically rigorous economics is and that Physics would have the opposite effect to this.

Maths with Statistics, Economics, Business and Philosophy and Ethics.
3) is the strongest in my opinion, however i agree that as long as your maths/FM grades are strong, the other options matter little. I would however, still strongly recommend economics. But the other option should be personal preference over what fits the course. If you're still in year 11, you may still change your mind about course anyhow.
3, then 1 or 2. Definitely not 4. #2 is what I study
Anyone saying it doesn't matter if you don't do economics A Level are wrong (at least for LSE). They want u to do economics a level UNLESS your school doesn't offer it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending