The Student Room Group

Need revision tips for chemisty and biology

So i tried my best in trying to memorise key facts and definitions in chemistry and biology but it ain't working. I have got my exams in mid march and the exam board is edexcel. Could i have techniques that is useful for biology and chemistry please
Original post by waleed29
So i tried my best in trying to memorise key facts and definitions in chemistry and biology but it ain't working. I have got my exams in mid march and the exam board is edexcel. Could i have techniques that is useful for biology and chemistry please

You should try going through all of your notes and textbooks and writing down all of the key terms and definitions, then transferring them onto post it notes (stick them around your room and revise them every time you see them, reading them out loud) and flashcards (take them everywhere with you and revise whenever you have a free minute).
Try condensing your notes too, first trying to fit each topic onto an A4 page, then condensing that into A5, then that down into A6, until you get to the size of a flashcard for each topic. Every time you reword and rewrite it you'll be learning it a bit more :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice bro
Reply 3
Do flashcards help for subjects like chemistry and biology ? because im predicted c or above so i really want to find a good technique to hopefully get me a A
Do flashcards help for subjects like chemistry and biology ? because im predicted c or above so i really want to find a good technique to hopefully get me a A

They help for any subject where you need to learn definitions or processes :h:
Okay main thing is when you're revising- you have to UNDERSTAND it, it's crucial. Read it and understand it first, then start making notes on it. When you feel your content knowledge is good and you have covered all the spec move on to exam papers.
All the best :smile:
Reply 6
I remember when I was revising for Chemistry and Biology, YouTube videos formed a great deal of my learning!

For learning basic concepts/revising subject topics (includes both links to YouTube and very useful websites)

Biology:
Khan Academy (link)
Bozeman Science (link)
Crash Course Biology (link)

Chemistry:
Chemguide, by Jim Clark (link)
Allery Tutors Chemistry (recommended by Jim Clark himself) (link)

These are useful resources, not techniques I understand, but you can incorporate them in your learning (alongside your recommended textbook)

For A-Level Chemistry, I did use Flashcards. They're particularly useful for learning the vast number of equations needed, and the colours of various ion complexes (A2).

Cram.com is good for creating online Flashcards. They use algorithms to help you remember the info on your flashcards and retain that information.

EDIT: Gingerbread101's pointers are very useful, take note of her advice!

In addition, I'd advise writing down every single chemical equation you need for AS and A2 (or just AS if you're in the first year of 6th form) on one sheet of A3 paper (use both sides if needed). That way you have the key bits of information from a variety of topics in one place for reference.

I hope those links are useful for you, I'll add any more useful techniques in future when I think of some more :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you all for you help
Reply 8
Sorry to hijack the thread but anyone have any motivation tips to actually start revision?

buy the CGP revision guides, watch 'erintoul' on youtube, take loads of notes, do all summary questions in textbook, do past papers. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Shiv is Light
buy the CGP revision guides, watch 'erintoul' on youtube, take loads of notes, do all summary questions in textbook, do past papers. :smile:

I've been seeing your great advice everywhere, thank you!

:fluffy:
Original post by Manexopi
Sorry to hijack the thread but anyone have any motivation tips to actually start revision?

You need to motivate yourself... personally I think of failure tbh and that is enough to get me started lol😂 give yourself a target everyday and try your best to reach it :smile:
I would suggest separating topics up and mind mapping the key points you need to know on them, then for key terms I suggest putting them onto flashcards and testing yourself. If you don't want to do this I would suggest using GoConqr as on there people make revision resources and then share them with everyone.
Or if you would not like to do that then I would get together a group of friends and all pick the topics you don't know much about or are finding hard. Then all make a presentation on the topic you are finding hard to your other friends. This helps because if you have to present it you have to understand it so you will go home and learn about the topic and then tell your friends about it. If you all don't understand the topic then all make a presentation each on the topic and compare notes once you have presented.
Sorry a lot of writing!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest