The Student Room Group

Self Teaching advice - Piano

I have been self teaching piano for the last 9months ish but have just finished the tutition book i was using (learn a tune a day) and unsure what to do/use next. I should be about grade 1/2 standard but i want to continue to improvenot just reach a stopping point.

i don't really want to ask my parents for a piano teacher because i dont know if we could afford it along with my guitar lessons however i was considering trying to get lessons once a month or so if that is possible to stop myself developing bad techniques which i know can be a problem of self teaching. I'm would be able to talk to my guitar teacher about some things and my music teacher at school (i do gcse music) will answer any questions i have but really just unsure where to go next with it although i have an eventual aim to learn skinny love by birdy as i love the piano in that song.

Can anyone recommend me any good books or ideas for self teaching as i dont really want to have to get lessons if anyone knows of anything they have used or know of being good :smile:

Thankyou
Have you tried youtube? There are lots of piano lessons on there and advice/guidance. I can have a root through my old books and see what I used but they're quite old now.
Original post by IzzyJ123456789
I have been self teaching piano for the last 9months ish but have just finished the tutition book i was using (learn a tune a day) and unsure what to do/use next. I should be about grade 1/2 standard but i want to continue to improvenot just reach a stopping point.

i don't really want to ask my parents for a piano teacher because i dont know if we could afford it along with my guitar lessons however i was considering trying to get lessons once a month or so if that is possible to stop myself developing bad techniques which i know can be a problem of self teaching. I'm would be able to talk to my guitar teacher about some things and my music teacher at school (i do gcse music) will answer any questions i have but really just unsure where to go next with it although i have an eventual aim to learn skinny love by birdy as i love the piano in that song.

Can anyone recommend me any good books or ideas for self teaching as i dont really want to have to get lessons if anyone knows of anything they have used or know of being good :smile:

Thankyou

This is coming from a grade 7 pianist so I think I am well qualified to say this :wink:
I wouldn't say there are specific teaching books you can find, what I would reccomend is buy a piano book with pieces in the genre you like and simply sight read them. This may take hours and days to finish with A LOT of practice but that's the best thing to do...

Say you want to learn Fur Elise, get the sheet music and just start sight reading, also find a decent recording to it and play it over and over and over again. That way the rhythm and dynamics are drilled in your head, something that a teacher would do. I would say start simple, and build up your repertoire. No point in doing a Chopin Raindrop prelude, after learning how to play twinkle twinkle little star.

Spoiler

Youtube can be hit and miss for me. Fine some channels are helpful, but they may go too quick for your liking or too slow for that matter. I would say a piano teacher isn't necessary unless you want to be learning some post grade 6 pieces.

If you like classical, makingmusicfun.net has a large collection of free sheet music put in different categories for beginner, intermediate, advanced etc.

Hope this helps, any questions don't hesitate to ask!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thankyou yeah i know what you mean but i kinda didnt know where else to look if you get me this is really useful tho. I already play guitar but ive always had a teacher guiding me much more and telling about about things like ultimate guitar which i the most useful thing i swear.

I have tried youtube and its really good for solos a learning sections of songs but i moves a bit quick like you said and i wanna improve my sight reading as for guitar i only ever learned tab so although im grade 5 in another insrument i didnt actually know how to read music which probably seems kinda weird to you. Thankyou very much tho especially for the link tho although i havent looked at it quite yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest