The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Stockton TO Newcastle

Hello guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'd like to transferre from my workplace in London to a branch in Newcastle. How long does it take to go from Stockton to Newcastle by train or car?

How much would it cost me in terms of ticket prices and would it be worth working in NewCastle or should I try and find a job on campus? I would like to work whilst I'm at Uni, is it hard to find a job around the Stockton area?

Thanks!
Centre of Newcastle...hour ish. But then you get to the centre of Newcastle...the traffic can be an absolute nightmare. Unless your current job pays really well, i wouldnt honestly bother with the commute. Plus, i know you are doing accounting and finance which isn't a particularly time consuming degree lecture wise, but I honestly don't think you could work in Newcastle, unless you did a full day a week or something.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey,

I used to commute from Newcastle to Stockton quite regularly. The train takes 1 hour, however it's quite expensive (>£8) and the service is absolutely terrible. The trains are filthy, late and there are there always problems (especially when you get stuck behind a slow moving Metro train on the Sunderland extension).

The X11 bus is much more reliable and also cheaper (around £5 for a day ticket) however takes 10 minutes longer to get into Newcastle, but stops in Eldon Square bus station so it might be slightly closer to the city center.

Driving would probably take around 45 minutes depending on traffic, but then parking is an issue of course.

Hope this helps,
Alex
Reply 3
Yes it does! Thank you! I was hoping to transfere to John Lewis PLC.

Do you know where abouts it is in NewCastle?

I am working FULL days btw - So it shouldn't be much of a waste of time. Where abouts in Stockton would I be able to find work do you think? It's quite a small place, does the Uni give students work?
John Lewis is in Eldon Square shopping center, just upstairs from the bus station :smile:

It depends on what sort of stuff you do for John Lewis, but there is a Debenhams in Stockton which might have a similar job. There are actually a surprising amount of shops in Stockton so I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find a new job.

Alex
Reply 5
Can't you buy a monthly pass?
Reply 6
That sounds like it would be ok I guess. I don't want to leave John Lewis as if i stay there till Jan 08, I am eligable for the annual bonus which I really want (no point of quitting when I can get this right?)

So it would take me roughly over an hour to get there which isn't bad (long live the Ipod) - Could you tell me if the John Lewis in Newcastle is large? How many floors does it have? Hopefully I would make friends with the Newcastle graduates there so I can rave up Newcastle in the weekend :P :P Cheeky I know!

I would have to invest in a monthly bus pass I guess, but as a student, shouldn't this be a priority anyways?
DrEvil
Yes it does! Thank you! I was hoping to transfere to John Lewis PLC.

Do you know where abouts it is in NewCastle?

I am working FULL days btw - So it shouldn't be much of a waste of time. Where abouts in Stockton would I be able to find work do you think? It's quite a small place, does the Uni give students work?

in stockton you'd mainly be looking at retail jobs in shops, serving on tills or shelf stacking etc

have to ask, are these hours you plan on doing in Newcastle going to be on a weekend?

because on your course there will be a minimum of one lecture every day, ie there wouldn't be any day of the week where you wouldn't miss anything. Also the seminars are compulsory they take registers, and if you miss more than 3 you get called to a meeting.

personally I wouldn't bother with all that travelling, especially since you'd be relying on public transport, for a shop job, but each to their own.
Well no...i havent been to Newcastle since January, and even then i went on the train. Students with a bus pass? Are you sure you are not confusing us with OAPs?
Reply 9
Yeah I am planning to work there on weekends not weekdays. I don't really care for the travel. I am going to work there till Janurary so I can get the bonus and leave afterwards. The bonus is 20% of what I've earn't annually and that includes overtime so I'm looking at around £2,000.

OAPs? How do you lot get around Stockton to Durham, Middlesborough and Newcastle? Don't you guys use the bus much? I hear Stockton can get a lil boring so I just assumed the Stockers would commute elsewhere for fun. Correct me if I'm wrong.
DrEvil
Yeah I am planning to work there on weekends not weekdays. I don't really care for the travel. I am going to work there till Janurary so I can get the bonus and leave afterwards. The bonus is 20% of what I've earn't annually and that includes overtime so I'm looking at around £2,000.

OAPs? How do you lot get around Stockton to Durham, Middlesborough and Newcastle? Don't you guys use the bus much? I hear Stockton can get a lil boring so I just assumed the Stockers would commute elsewhere for fun. Correct me if I'm wrong.

on a weekend for full days won't be too bad then, I just had visions of you missing loads of stuff to go work in newcastle!:biggrin:

Stockton can get a tad dull, people often go out in Middlesbrough and for shopping too. Its a 5min ride on the train, where half the time they dont even bother checking for tickets, so its free! either that you can get there by bus or taxi. Middlesbrough has a lot of things to do.

I personally don't tend to go to Durham often, as I don't know anyone there, but other people often go stay with their friends from 6th form etc that study in Durham. Theres a free bus between the campuses.

Ive been to Newcastle about 3times, just for a day out really. Been via Train (which as said, takes a while, as you have to change at Darlington and isnt the cheapest) and car.
Reply 11
I think you can get the train from Stockton's central station (rather than Thornaby, Campus' closest station), which will take you into Newcastle station direct without any changes, at least was the last time I got the train.
Reply 12
You don't need a bus to get around Durham unless you live near Tesco or something. Even then it's walkable, buses are only really for lateness.
Reply 13
quizster
I think you can get the train from Stockton's central station (rather than Thornaby, Campus' closest station), which will take you into Newcastle station direct without any changes, at least was the last time I got the train.

Really? How long would it take if i do that?
Takes about an hour, because it stops at loads of random places like Billingham, Seham, Sunderland, but there are no changes.
Reply 15
DrEvil
Really? How long would it take if i do that?

About 45 mins - 1 hour I think. I haven't got that train in a while, but last time I did it went up the Durham Coast line, so through Hartlepool, Sunderland, Newcastle and Metro Centre ( plus smaller stations).
Reply 16
Thanks everyone! I will go through with the transfere, stay at JL till January, claim my bonus and then leave!

Thanks for all your help people!

Latest

Trending

Trending