The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Why did the article have to be on genetic engineering, I suppose it's not too bad but last years was so much more interesting...
Reply 61
Original post by FutureMedic97
T-cells:

They are a type of lymphocytes which mature in the Thymus (hence the name T-cells)

They can be subdivided into T-helper cells, T-killer cells and T-memory cells

They are involved in the activation of B-cells and T-killer cells:

The macrophage is able to recognise the foreign antigen in the body.

They engulf the foreign antigen in the process of phagocytosis (they engulf, cause the antigen to be enclosed in a vacoule known as phagosome then lysosyme fuses with the phagosome and causes enzymes to be released into the phagosome. These enzymes breakdown the antigen.)

Then some of these proteins are presented on the MHC which is on the cell surface membrane.

The T-helper cell binds to this using its CD4 receptors

It becomes activated

It releases cytokines

These cytokines cause B-cells to become activated and T-killer cells to become activated.

The activated B-cells divide by mitosis to form plasma cells and B-memory cells.

The activated T-killer cells engulf any infected cells

B-Cells

They mature in the bone marrow

They are activated by T-cells (as described above) to produce plasma cells and B-memory cells

Plasma cells secrete specific antibodies

B-memory cells remain in low quantities in the body until the same pathogen is encountered again. When this does happen, they divide into plasma cells and secrete antibodies against the pathogen

I think that's about it!
If I am missing anything please add it in....

Thank you very much :smile:
Just looking at the article now :eek3:
Now that the article is available does anyone have any idea what to do :redface:
Original post by Hellper
Now that the article is available does anyone have any idea what to do :redface:

The article will give you ideas on what can be asked. As its to do with synthetic biology and genetic engineering just go over that.
Original post by A-LJLB
The article will give you ideas on what can be asked. As its to do with synthetic biology and genetic engineering just go over that.

ok, but the book does explain well enough about the genetic engineering and human genome project. what are your ideas on it
Original post by Hellper

Go though the article and really understand what it's talking about first.Then analyse each paragraph and think of how it relates to the syllabus and possible questions they can ask. Brush up on your as as the article questions will draw on as knowledge too. The should be lists of potential questions that are released with the article also to go through

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychoD
Go though the article and really understand what it's talking about first.Then analyse each paragraph and think of how it relates to the syllabus and possible questions they can ask. Brush up on your as as the article questions will draw on as knowledge too. The should be lists of potential questions that are released with the article also to go through

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok understood, thanks.
Original post by Hellper
ok understood, thanks.
Well obviously genetic engineering, there's also mention of CO2 and fossil fuels so go over that. Ethics of the human genome project etc, the source of the article is at the bottom of the page it might be an idea to look at the original source too.
great, all the boring bits than.
there is some information about the protein synthesis, plasmid so maybe all the basic topic 1 and 2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
Really not a big fan of this year's pre release... hmmmph.
NEED HELP!! Please tell me where I could find a copy of Edexcel IAL 2016 June Biology Unit 5 pre-released scientific article (WBIO5/01). Thank you.
Original post by 12103763d
NEED HELP!! Please tell me where I could find a copy of Edexcel IAL 2016 June Biology Unit 5 pre-released scientific article (WBIO5/01). Thank you.

Just ask your teacher for it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any IAL biology unit 5 threads?
Reply 74
Original post by PsychoD

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

do u know when the potential questions are released?
Reply 75
how far are u guys with theory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finished around January time
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've still got to do thermoregulation, performance enhancing substances, immune suppression and joint injury in topic 7 and we've finished topic 8 but we did the last few bits really fast so I think we're gonna be doing some more work on that. One of my teachers is really good and the other one is new and doesn't know what he's doing so we're kinda screwed for topic 7! We're starting the synoptic article after easter I think? We might get it just before though so we can do work on it in the holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
do u know when the potential questions are released?

Last year I remember being given the questions around the same time as the pre-release.... Ask your teacher first, if they don't know I'll see if I can find out
Reply 79
Original post by PsychoD
Last year I remember being given the questions around the same time as the pre-release.... Ask your teacher first, if they don't know I'll see if I can find out

im a private student, is it possible for anyone to send it to me if you have the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending