The Student Room Group

Decided to share my thoughts on Linux since I switched to using it for development in

So I've been using Linux for a while and I thought it'd be nice to do a write up and let those who haven't used Linux before read about my experiences.

Hopefully some people on TSR might be encourage to try out Linux after reading this.

https://medium.com/@markosullivan/if-you-re-a-developer-and-not-using-linux-i-feel-bad-for-you-son-i-got-99-problems-but-linux-ain-6c9ff636d7a9#.o0ftnqcoi
Nice write up. I'd heard of Elementary before but never looked into it any further, but it seems quite nice - might have to give it a try sometime soon.

Have you tried Fedora? Might be a good experience for you to try the RedHat side of things.
Reply 2
I agree, nice post!

Ubuntu is fine as a desktop OS, but yes, if you're using it as a VM with a resource heavy manager such as Unity, it's going to run a bit slow. For VMs, try something more lightweight, minimal use of GUI. You can pretty much do everything you need to with SSH + SSH tunneling. CentOS / RHEL is an industry favourite.

One of my favourite things about Linux is how quickly you can automate everything... with Docker, Vagrant, Chef, etc, you can deploy a server in seconds or spin up a dev environment with everything you need installed in a matter of minutes. Makes QA so much easier.
Reply 3
Great post!

One tip though - watch your grammar and whatnot. Content is great, but really would look and feel more professional should you have placed commas correctly etc.
Reply 4
If anyone needs linux help don't hesitate to ask, I have gentoo, arch, slackware and debian installs setup so i'm covered
Reply 5
Thanks for the feedback everyone :smile:

Original post by Push_More_Button

Have you tried Fedora? Might be a good experience for you to try the RedHat side of things.

Yeah I used it a bit during my internship along with OpenSUSE. Quite used to using Debian based Linux distros.

Does Fedora based distros have the same support as Debian based distros?
Original post by mos182
Thanks for the feedback everyone :smile:

Yeah I used it a bit during my internship along with OpenSUSE. Quite used to using Debian based Linux distros.

Does Fedora based distros have the same support as Debian based distros?

Fedora is the bleeding edge version of RedHat, so it's pretty well supported.
Reply 7
Original post by Cpt. Josh
Nice article, I've never actually used Linux for any development, per se, but I do run a Kali Linux distro (VM) for pentesting and general pissing around. I'm actually building my PC game for Linux this week (Windows and Mac too) but I've never actually used it to build anything.

I've been tempted to install Kali Linux to see what I can do with it.

What game you doing? You should post a thread and post updates about your game :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mos182
I've been tempted to install Kali Linux to see what I can do with it.

What game you doing? You should post a thread and post updates about your game :smile:

He has; check his threads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending