The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nimaland
Hello.I'm planing on going to the UK for law in 2007 but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding my choice for insurance.I've decided on LSE as my firm.However,I canot seem to decide which will be better for law.King's or Manchester???Thus I'm really hoping that you'll will be able to give me advice on the matter.Also let me know if uyou think either 1 of the 2 is better for law than LSE or if Nottingham is better than the 2.....But most importantly I want t know which is better, King's or Manchester.Hope to hear from you'll.Thank

Okay no one but D & L had answered your question so I'll try to answer according to the understanding that I've picked up over time. According to the reputation and teaching etc, the truth is Kings is considered better than Manchester. The difference isn't big, and manchester is a very very good law school, but Kings is generally thought of more highly. Add to that London is more fun than Manchester for most; it is bigger, there are more things to do, but it is also a bit more expensive.

To answer the other questions, LSE is better than both Kings and Manchester domestically (though marginally better than Kings), and has a much better international reputation. If you are going to leave the UK after you graduate then LSE is the way to go. (By the way, internationally speaking, Kings is more renowned than Manchester).

And as for nottingham, I think LSE barely edges it. But there is not at all much difference - they are both 'top' law schools and it is very close. Notts and Kings are also very very similar in stature, and to save argument it is safer to say that there are considerably equal (people disagree a lot on this). To sum it up it probably goes:

LSE
Notts/Kings

Manc

(Average law school)
Reply 21
After looking at the manchester uni website, it seems they are not offering law from 2008, well at least for that year anyway. So for the OP, this may be your last year to do law at manchester
Reply 22
Manning
After looking at the manchester uni website, it seems they are not offering law from 2008, well at least for that year anyway. So for the OP, this may be your last year to do law at manchester

Of course they are. What reason could they possibl have for shutting down their law dept? Plus, they're still advertising on UCAS.
^ Hmm strange...
Reply 25
^ very strange actually
Reply 26
"Thank you for your email and interest in Law at the University of Manchester.

Law will be available for September 2008, we are in the process of checking and updating our course information and will hopefully have it on the web shortly."

I was curious... Had to e-mail them :biggrin:
It is rather a large foresight on their part though (that should be addressed)... I imagine there are literally thousands of people looking at their degree programmes for 2008 (browsing online, or what have you). To not even mention that the Law section is just being updated could culminate in being pretty counterproductive for them.
Reply 28
I'd definitely go for KCL. In my opinion it is miles better than Manchester in terms of reputation.
Reply 29
KCL vs Manchester for job prospects?

There's only one choice really - KCL...

My firm goes to only a few fairs. KCL is one of them.
Reply 30
Your firm isn't the most representative of the range of unis that most city law firms visit though.
Reply 31
Lawz-
KCL vs Manchester for job prospects?

There's only one choice really - KCL...

My firm goes to only a few fairs. KCL is one of them.

Where else do they go?
Tory_boy
Your firm isn't the most representative of the range of unis that most city law firms visit though.

But how many city Law firms won't visit KCL?
Reply 33
Mensan1
Where else do they go?

Bristol, LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, and Nottingham.
Reply 34
Tory_boy

How do you know what firm Im at?

Clearly the MC may go to more, they are less selective and have more spaces to fill.. thus they need to cast the net wider. but when a firm is more selective, like my own, they tend to focus on those unis I specified
Reply 35
Lawz-

Why not Durham? Too far?
Reply 36
Mensan1
Why not Durham? Too far?

Partially.

We are discussing it, but we fill our quota with so much ease at present...

we get about 3000 applications for 6-8 places.
Lawz-
How do you know what firm Im at?

Aren't you at Cleary?
Reply 38
kalokagathia
Aren't you at Cleary?

Ya.
Reply 39
Lawz-

So because you get loads of applicants anyway, and we're so far away, you don't bother with us! I'm a little offended lol! I guess I can rule out Cleary as a place to apply to when the time comes! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending