Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Van Mildert College Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
There's also the Mildert Gym facebook page which has a few photos up

Original post by TobyS15
Oh right, I see, thank you for taking the time to explain that. Another quick question though: you mentioned breaking in at 1am, but I thought the gym was open 24/7?

Ah ... I said sneak in. It is 24/7 but you're not really meant to be in the gym if you haven't paid membership and if caught out you can get fined, which is understandable. Soooo... don't let on I said that ...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by JD7
There's also the Mildert Gym facebook page which has a few photos up

Ah ... I said sneak in. It is 24/7 but you're not really meant to be in the gym if you haven't paid membership and if caught out you can get fined, which is understandable. Soooo... don't let on I said that ...

How much is the gym membership?
Original post by TobyS15
I think the problem is more the fact that University College is just so over-subscribed. We are in the same position: I also applied to Castle but was offered Van Mildert instead too. I'm not too disappointed, though, as VM looks really nice as I reckon any college in Durham would be.

Yes but won't University college take the most academically capable students first or does it not work like that?
Reply 63
Oops, yeah sorry, I see 'sneak' and 'break' are fairly different - didn't mean to make you sound like a criminal! But oh right okay, thanks
Reply 64
Original post by MrMcBants
DurhamNicknamed Dullham because of their appetite for really drab nightlife, they have all of the downsides of Oxbridge: boring, clever people wearing red trousers in rubbish nightclubs, and none of the benefits. It’s the home to the worst club in Europe, and seems to be totally insulated from any youth subculture which wasn’t cultivated in the boarding houses of the nation’s public schools. Durham is the Clapham of universities, a perverted King Midas for whom everything they touch instantly becomes lame.

Where did you go?
Reply 65
Respect to everyone here! We gonna be gym mates! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Yes but won't University college take the most academically capable students first or does it not work like that?

No, it doesn't work like that!
University College places are allocated by a random system which is computerised and are allocated in the same way as all other colleges.
Colleges do not choose their own students. Allocation is based on ensuring a balance of subjects studied and preference stated by applicants - AFTER you are made an offer based on the strength of your application by your subject.
Those who apply to University / Castle and gain a place there are 'lucky'. They are not individually selected by the college.
Reply 67
Original post by phoebe_cottam
How much is the gym membership?

This year membership for the whole year was £30
Original post by fw1
No, it doesn't work like that!
University College places are allocated by a random system which is computerised and are allocated in the same way as all other colleges.
Colleges do not choose their own students. Allocation is based on ensuring a balance of subjects studied and preference stated by applicants - AFTER you are made an offer based on the strength of your application by your subject.
Those who apply to University / Castle and gain a place there are 'lucky'. They are not individually selected by the college.

ah ok
i felt offended that they pooled me there even tho i wasnt going to go to durham anyway. I thought they were saying something about my academic ability when they gave me that college
Reply 69
Original post by JD7
This year membership for the whole year was £30

OMG what a bargain...but then again by looking at the photos from the facebook page, the gym isn't that well-established comparing to unis like bath where membership is 200 quids a year...
Reply 70
Original post by Zechi
OMG what a bargain...but then again by looking at the photos from the facebook page, the gym isn't that well-established comparing to unis like bath where membership is 200 quids a year...

Well, at first I though it is a bargain too but considering we will be paying 7000 quids a year for accommodation, the gym membership should be free :biggrin:
Anyway, 30 pounds is a good deal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Bobkata
Well, at first I though it is a bargain too but considering we will be paying 7000 quids a year for accommodation, the gym membership should be free :biggrin:
Anyway, 30 pounds is a good deal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess one of the benefits of having to pay is keeping away people who wander around the gym, chitchatting and doing barely nothing...
Reply 72
Original post by Zechi
I guess one of the benefits of having to pay is keeping away people who wander around the gym, chitchatting and doing barely nothing...

I agree with you! Nevertheless, there will always be annoying people paying for the gym just to have a chat :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
drgdrg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
drgdrg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by swissinuk
Do any of you play an instrument or sing? I'm really keen on starting a band.

Yeah, I play the guitar and used to have my own band. What sort of music do you play?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
drgdrg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by swissinuk
I have an electric and an acoustic. I play rock, and venture into ableton for some electrorock. My favourite band is Radiohead, so they influence me a lot.

What about you?

I have both electric and acoustic too :biggrin: My problem is that I am more into heavier music like thrash, new metal etc.
Anyway, my fav bands are A7X, Pantera, Slayer :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Hi guys, current 1st year Chemist @ Van Mildert here. Ask me literally anything and everything and I will give you the best possible answers. There is no such thing as a stupid question or a question too small. I will read over the last few pages to clarify some stuff, too.

Original post by phoebe_cottam
I've been allocated to Van Mildert :smile: studying law. I haven't visited VM (actually applied to Josephine Butler), can anyone tell me what its like? Had a look on the website but it didn't have many pictures of the inside, kind of wanted to know what the bathroom facilities are like seeing as its highly unlikely i'll get ensuite.

Hi Phoebe, I will get round to uploading some pictures of the inside of the college. It would certainly be good if they were on the website. Bathroom facilities are actually pretty decent, never had an issue with any of them. BTW, I also applied to JoBo and got reallocated to Mildert haha - count yourself lucky, Mildert is a really good college! Any other questions, let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest