The Student Room Group

When should I be applying for Apprenticeships?

I'm currently in my second year doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT and have decided against going to Uni next year. I'm going to be looking to get a Level 4 Apprenticeships in IT in London, however I'm confused as to when I should start applying for apprenticeships, and what the process is.

Most apprenticeships that I have found online are usually starting within the month and I obviously haven't finished my course yet, so I'm looking to probably start my apprenticeship at around September. The question is, do I just wait until July or August and begin applying then, or are there apprenticeships you can get a place at already and look to start in September or so after the summer break?
Reply 1
If you want your summer break, get applying in August. You'll have a host of telephone calls from the apprenticeship providers within the first week of applying, if you sound like a good candidate they'll invite you to an interview at the assessment centre for screening. Once you've been screened they'll probably contact your potential employer and get the OK to have them interview you. Then you'll be interviewed by the employer, THEN you may or may not be hired! This process takes about three to four weeks.

Bare in mind businesses nor apprenticeship providers work to the school term timetable holidays, so say if you started applying in July, got offered the apprenticeship, you wouldn't really be able to say 'can you hang on until September', they would want you to start right away. Also, because this is London, be prepared for fierce competition. If you want to beat the crowds maybe applying earlier is your best bet? Depends how much you want that last long holiday haha.
Hi @zDiesel

Most apprenticeship opportunities for starting this year will be open now - including the exciting apprenticeships at Thales. It's National Apprenticeship Week next week so there will be lots of adverts and roles being posted that you can start applying for for most employers if you're looking to start this September.

We're recruiting now for our apprentices to start in September and most larger organisations do this too.

Worthwhile having a look on the National Apprenticeship Website where you can do a wider search and also check our website too - we have some exciting London based roles that are going to be snapped up soon!

http://ukearlycareers.thalesgroup.com/apprenticeships
Some start looking very early.

Jaguar Land Rover start their recruitment process in September to take on people a year later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending