The Student Room Group

Help - I'm too shy to go out running!

I've wanted to go out running for some time now, but I'm quite embarassed... what if someone laughs? Or wonders why a teen is going out running in the first place? What if people from my school see me? What if I sweat and look ridiculous? Or if I walk for too long and people wonder why I bother?

Any advice, help or past experiences out here? Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I used to get nervous and to be honest i still do sometimes but i was determined to get in shape and my confidence was really low. I normally go out in a morning or on a night, don't worry about looking ridiculous, you won't honestly. The more you get used to it, it'll get easier, a lot of people go through it and you often see more and more people taking up running now, so don't worry:smile:
Original post by kamilaterase
I've wanted to go out running for some time now, but I'm quite embarassed... what if someone laughs? Or wonders why a teen is going out running in the first place? What if people from my school see me? What if I sweat and look ridiculous? Or if I walk for too long and people wonder why I bother?

Don't be shy! It's for your own benefit. Lots of teens are getting into getting outdoors and staying fit and healthy; I've seen an increase in the number of teens outside running and cycling. Nothing wrong with sweating, it's natural. If you're that embarrassed, you can wear a top or something. (It's cold so it's ideal.) Be confident! Just be yourself and take it at your own pace if you find yourself walking more than running. It's still a form of exercise and after time passes, you'll be running more than you'll be walking. :smile:
honestly no one will think anything other than 'oh she's running maybe I should do some exercise' and most people will ignore you, go and get started and you'll realise pretty quickly there's nothing to worry about

People are going to mock regardless, but if you're embaraased just go out and run. I was in the same state too a few years back, I'm a big guy and wanted to lose weight, I would do a jog/walk 3:1 ratio split and of the few people I bumped into, nothing but praise. I'm not sure for you, but if it's to do with your weight/fitness like mine was, only shallow people will be ********s about you getting out and solving your problems :smile: Hope this helps somehow!
(edited 8 years ago)
treadmill
No one is going to laugh, all sorts of people go of all ages so it doesn't matter if you are a teen. Decent people will pat you on the back for being active, and would never laugh. Also to anyone from school for whatever silly reason thinks you look ridiculous, well you will have the last laugh when you are looking super hot with your new toned up bod :wink:

If you really do feel paranoid you can try wearing a cap and some sports sunglasses to go out running, like celebs do. Though I say you don't need any of that you are not doing anything wrong.
Reply 7
if its really a problem use a treadmill, but why care so much about what others think? they aren't paying your bills or anything
Reply 8
wear a balaclava

Trust me when I say that those people worthy of their opinion won't give a toss what you look like/what you're doing.

Plenty of people run/jog.

You woudn't be the first person to worry like this though and it's not just in running either. You could find someone else to go with, but make sure they're just as enthusiastic as you.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Do it in the early mornings noone will see you. Or go to the gym and use a treadmill :tongue:
Just don't run in city centre.

Check out google maps and plan your route, you can also download some apps if you have a smartphone.

Here, link.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Sack up and do it. If you're not sweating, you're not running hard enough.

You're doing it for your own benefit, not the benefit of others. Therefore, what other people think doesn't even enter into the equation.
Reply 13
i go running and idc if people laugh, its for my personal benefit, try going running with someone else, a friend maybe?
Just keep thinking to yourself that at least you're actually out there exercising and doing something, whereas the person mocking you probably isn't.
You shouldn't be. A lot of people run to keep themselves fit. That's definitely okay! :smile:
go at night
Reply 17

Just plan to go and run a short distance, regardless of whether anybody laughs or not. You'll quickly see they aren't at which point make like forrest gump and go for it :smile:

Hey there,

I know exactly how you feel so do not worry. I have gained a bit of weight since coming to uni and was really worried about people laughing at me if they saw a fat girl like me running but I just went for it and it really is the best feeling. On my first run I practically had an asthma attack and couldn't shift the stitch that I got after about 2 mins but the more you do it the easier it gets and the other day I managed to run 4k without stopping. It will take a while to build it up but if you stick with it then you'll see the results.

Good luck, hope it all goes well :smile:

Get up early, plan your route the night before and run.
I used to have the same problems as you but if you get up early in the morning then there's barely anyone to judge you. Maybe 1 or 2 people you might come by but more often than not they'll be running or doing some sort of exercise too ^-^
I still run currently :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest