The Student Room Group

A Levels, College and GSCE STRESSS!!

Ok so I'm currently in year 11. I have applied to some colleges but with an F grade in Math and being put in foundation Math I don't think I'll get accepted anywhere good. I want to do well and I'm fully prepared to be committed but I don't see myself going anywhere. All my friends have been going to interviews and I'm not sure what to do when they ask me.

The A levels I want to do are Biology, Psychology, Sociology (if I have to take 4 then Chemistry)
So far my predicted grades are 4 C's 2 B's 1 D an 1 F which is horrible.
So what should I do in terms of colleges??? Any advice??

Also: Any tips on how to revise for English Language (Of Mice and Men)

PLEASE HELP ME.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For the science defo look at this website www.my-gcsescience.com all the first units are free. Best £50 my mum spent on me. LOads of students at my school use this website. Maths is all about practice does your school use mathwatch or something similar - you need to be doing 30 minutes a day. At our school everyone is doing the higher paper so kids with low grades now could still actually get great grades if they put the work in. English you can do coursework as many times as you like so keep redrafting until you get great marks. I am going into the exam with a C or a few marks off which is great as I'm not great at English. RE the questions are repeated all the time so just learn a few years worth of past papers.
I suggest you use a website called Khan Academy. It has everything you could possibly need to attain an A* in all subjects. And it's for free :smile:.
If you obtain a B in the things you want to take for A Level and a C in maths and English language (literature doesn't bother colleges/sixth forms) you will be fine and you will get accepted! Please note however some sixth forms/colleges want an A in science/maths if you want to take them at A-Level just because they're harder A-Levels, I know from my research this applies to MOST (not all) sixth forms for chemistry especially. But I'm sure you will do great, both the websites commented above are amazingly helpful also :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by croftie4
For the science defo look at this website www.my-gcsescience.com all the first units are free. Best £50 my mum spent on me. LOads of students at my school use this website. Maths is all about practice does your school use mathwatch or something similar - you need to be doing 30 minutes a day. At our school everyone is doing the higher paper so kids with low grades now could still actually get great grades if they put the work in. English you can do coursework as many times as you like so keep redrafting until you get great marks. I am going into the exam with a C or a few marks off which is great as I'm not great at English. RE the questions are repeated all the time so just learn a few years worth of past papers.

Thanks for the website link. My school doesn't provide me with Mathwatch but I got it. I feel like I still don't understand by videos? And if I do past papers I barely understand the worded questions I'm really behind.
I'm doing well with my coursework for English its just the exams where I completely fail getting Ds. Any advice on how to improve on the exams?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I suggest you use a website called Khan Academy. It has everything you could possibly need to attain an A* in all subjects. And it's for free :smile:.

Thanks but I've tried this but videos don't work. I don't feel as if his explanation is clear.
Reply 6
Original post by pinkrox22310
Ok so I'm currently in year 11. I have applied to some colleges but with an F grade in Math and being put in foundation Math I don't think I'll get accepted anywhere good. I want to do well and I'm fully prepared to be committed but I don't see myself going anywhere. All my friends have been going to interviews and I'm not sure what to do when they ask me.

The A levels I want to do are Biology, Psychology, Sociology (if I have to take 4 then Chemistry)
So far my predicted grades are 4 C's 2 B's 1 D an 1 F which is horrible.
So what should I do in terms of colleges??? Any advice??

Also: Any tips on how to revise for English Language (Of Mice and Men)

PLEASE HELP ME.

I do all those A-Levels! If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
If you obtain a B in the things you want to take for A Level and a C in maths and English language (literature doesn't bother colleges/sixth forms) you will be fine and you will get accepted! Please note however some sixth forms/colleges want an A in science/maths if you want to take them at A-Level just because they're harder A-Levels, I know from my research this applies to MOST (not all) sixth forms for chemistry especially. But I'm sure you will do great, both the websites commented above are amazingly helpful also :smile:

Good luck!

Thankyou so much for this.
The only thing I'm struggling the most with is Math. I've applied to colleges but have got rejected since an F is below average. Also the colleges which I'm interested in ask for a B in Math. If I do foundation this will never be possible :frown:
Also English Language is my main priority but I'm confused on how to revise for it?
Original post by Ribenas
I do all those A-Levels! If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

If I do foundation Math (I might take it externally and do higher since its easier to get a C) Am i still able to take all those A levels?
Reply 9
If I do foundation Math (I might take it externally and do higher since its easier to get a C) Am i still able to take all those A levels?

They usual want you to have B's in all those subject or similar subjects and C's in core subjects. :smile:
Reply 10
For 'of mice and men' cut the book into sections. Study each sections highlighting areas of the story and create mindmaps about them- showing your interpretation of the story and/or key characters significance in each area of the story. Use a lot of colours when making the mind maps!
If you dont want to do the mind maps on paper download 'Mindly' from your google/apple app store that way you can view it on the move without carrying a whole load of papers around with you.
With the past papers, if you or get your english teacher to print one out for you and sit down with them during your lunch breaks just like for 15 minutes and ask them any questions you have regarding the exam, the question types using the past paper as a guide and hopefully that will give you a clear idea on how about to answer the questions gaining maximum marks in the exams. :smile:
with maths you might want to go back to basics as sometimes that's the only way to understand some of the stuff at the next level. We my school they said there was no point entering anyone for the foundation as you could get a C easier in the higher so if that's the same for your school then talk to your teacher and say how important it is for what you want to do next. I really struggled with maths for years was always in lower sets then I did a programme online but started doing the level that was aimed at a much younger student and I have to admit that worked because I gained confidence. Also I used to get nervous but then a teacher said just look at test/exams as a chance to show off, show what you know to highlight what you don't so you know what to revise next. I've never been afraid of a test since. Do you have period 6 classes/master classes if necessary go to the math on everyday. BUT tell your self not to be afraid of maths you might never understand algebra but as long as you know the other stuff you'll be alright
The only thing I'm struggling the most with is Math. I've applied to colleges but have got rejected since an F is below average. Also the colleges which I'm interested in ask for a B in Math. If I do foundation this will never be possible :frown:
Also English Language is my main priority but I'm confused on how to revise for it?

It depends what exam board you're on for English Languge - but I think you will be doing all unseen things? If so, just make sure you make posters on HOW to answer the questions so you don't end up forgetting, and practice past papers!

Also, with your maths grade you can improve this! Maybe not to a B standard since you do foundation but you can definitely get that C which will give you more of a chance! To get this, work on past papers, make a 'rule book' so you write down in words how to do things which makes it easier than reading the notes of numbers in your maths book. Go to any school interventions and ask your teacher to really push you with the homework, trying to do as many questions as you can. Remember, there's only so much that can be asked of you in the summer in the maths exam, so once you've done all the questions in every past paper - you've pretty much got everything you will need for the exam done and nothing will surprise you and knock you over :smile:
Original post by Sammodbr
For 'of mice and men' cut the book into sections. Study each sections highlighting areas of the story and create mindmaps about them- showing your interpretation of the story and/or key characters significance in each area of the story. Use a lot of colours when making the mind maps!
If you dont want to do the mind maps on paper download 'Mindly' from your google/apple app store that way you can view it on the move without carrying a whole load of papers around with you.
With the past papers, if you or get your english teacher to print one out for you and sit down with them during your lunch breaks just like for 15 minutes and ask them any questions you have regarding the exam, the question types using the past paper as a guide and hopefully that will give you a clear idea on how about to answer the questions gaining maximum marks in the exams. :smile:

Thankyou so much I will be sure to follow this way of revising thankyou so much!
Original post by croftie4
with maths you might want to go back to basics as sometimes that's the only way to understand some of the stuff at the next level. We my school they said there was no point entering anyone for the foundation as you could get a C easier in the higher so if that's the same for your school then talk to your teacher and say how important it is for what you want to do next. I really struggled with maths for years was always in lower sets then I did a programme online but started doing the level that was aimed at a much younger student and I have to admit that worked because I gained confidence. Also I used to get nervous but then a teacher said just look at test/exams as a chance to show off, show what you know to highlight what you don't so you know what to revise next. I've never been afraid of a test since. Do you have period 6 classes/master classes if necessary go to the math on everyday. BUT tell your self not to be afraid of maths you might never understand algebra but as long as you know the other stuff you'll be alright

Wow thankyou.
The only concern I have is I can't go back to basics since i only have 3 months until the Math exam, Is it possible?
Original post by caitlinford3
It depends what exam board you're on for English Languge - but I think you will be doing all unseen things? If so, just make sure you make posters on HOW to answer the questions so you don't end up forgetting, and practice past papers!

Also, with your maths grade you can improve this! Maybe not to a B standard since you do foundation but you can definitely get that C which will give you more of a chance! To get this, work on past papers, make a 'rule book' so you write down in words how to do things which makes it easier than reading the notes of numbers in your maths book. Go to any school interventions and ask your teacher to really push you with the homework, trying to do as many questions as you can. Remember, there's only so much that can be asked of you in the summer in the maths exam, so once you've done all the questions in every past paper - you've pretty much got everything you will need for the exam done and nothing will surprise you and knock you over :smile:

In English I'm doing Edexcel. i especially struggle with sentence structure and how to write my points without going off track.
Thankyou a lot for the Math advice I appreciate it x
Reply 16
Personally I feel predicted grades don't mean anything. I mean yeah they're good they show you need to improve BUT don't get lost in them they aren't your reality YET. Your GCSE results are whatever you want to be as long as you work for the grade. Me? I spent most of year 10 doing nothing and getting U's in chemistry at the end of the year I finally put some effort in and got an A in a test. I recommend you buy the CGP revision practice books for science NOT the revision guides they aren't in depth enough and are not enough to get you above a B in your exam. For maths I recommend you get mathswatch usually maths teachers at school have them on USBs thats how I got mine once you get mathswatch do all the D C and B work thats enough to get you an A and practice some past papers. For english language I'm not so sure since if I'm honest I bloody hate that paper but I have cambridge nationals.. anyways good luck!
Original post by TyanaChu
Personally I feel predicted grades don't mean anything. I mean yeah they're good they show you need to improve BUT don't get lost in them they aren't your reality YET. Your GCSE results are whatever you want to be as long as you work for the grade. Me? I spent most of year 10 doing nothing and getting U's in chemistry at the end of the year I finally put some effort in and got an A in a test. I recommend you buy the CGP revision practice books for science NOT the revision guides they aren't in depth enough and are not enough to get you above a B in your exam. For maths I recommend you get mathswatch usually maths teachers at school have them on USBs thats how I got mine once you get mathswatch do all the D C and B work thats enough to get you an A and practice some past papers. For english language I'm not so sure since if I'm honest I bloody hate that paper but I have cambridge nationals.. anyways good luck!

True, But the only thing about predicted grades is that you have to write them in your college application. Which is why I got rejected. I have an offer though saying if I do get the grades which are required for the college i can apply again on results day and show the college.
Also I have the CGP Revision guides they are really helpful but I tend to get stuck answering exam questions and understanding them. I also have My Maths but i feel as if it doesn't help me to watch videos.

go for extra revision classes or buy text books
maths is very important so why dont you try conuermaths it really helped me from a grade c i got a a*
Reply 19
What exam board are you with for maths?

Quick Reply

Latest