The Student Room Group

BCS accreditation on university courses - does it matter?

It seems that most computer science courses at university are accredited by the British Computer Society, however I have an offer from Exeter, and apparently this course isn't accredited, which is making me nervous about choosing it as a firm choice.

Point is, will I be at a disadvantage if I choose to go to a university like Exeter that does not offer the accreditation, or should I choose a course that provides it as available?
Original post by Mattari
It seems that most computer science courses at university are accredited by the British Computer Society, however I have an offer from Exeter, and apparently this course isn't accredited, which is making me nervous about choosing it as a firm choice.

Point is, will I be at a disadvantage if I choose to go to a university like Exeter that does not offer the accreditation, or should I choose a course that provides it as available?

This is a very important question floating everywhere-be it tsr or facebook.Even though exeter has a good start salary,You would have to go through some exams to become a chartered member if the BCS

Posted from TSR Mobile
The BCS is the professional and chartered society for IT. If a course isn't BCS accredited, it means that the university has not proved to the BCS that the course contains the skills and knowledge needed for the IT workplace. Draw your own conclusions...

BTW Given Exeter's social intake, a high starting salary is unremarkable... There's ample evidence that starting salary is closely correlated to the relative privilege of the students entering the course. There's a much lower correlation at later dates...check those (that data is also available)

Quick Reply