The Student Room Group

Where will your maths degree lead you...

Poll

Where do you hope to end up?

I've never really thought beyond a financial career for myself once I graduate as I'm motivated by money. But I am interested as to what you guys are planning to do once you graduate so vote and discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
to the city, arrrrrrr!!!!!!
Reply 2
Why isn't there an "Ask me again in three years, and maybe I'll have a clue..." option?
Because it's a 'what do you plan on doing after your degree' thread. There should have been an 'other' option but I forgot :frown:
Reply 4
Not into an office if I can possibly avoid it......
I'd love to teach if I knew there could be some sort of career progression as I think I'm an awesome teacher but I just don't see how you can progress in the field. And the kids won't give alot of thanks so not only do you not get the financial rewards of other fields but you don't get much reward at all.
Reply 6
P.hD. then either to quant or Math Modelling in Aerospace Engineering or the oil industry.
Reply 7
no one votes for statistics? :frown: oh well, someone's gotta do it
i plan to work as an actuary first, then i will go back to uni for a physics degree and later work as a data analyst in astrophysics (or so i hope)

(i could only vote for actuary :frown: oops)
Reply 8
id like to change my mind i just did some work experience and i was always told actuarial work was boring and i dont really like statistics but i really liked it, and it also gives me the money i was looking for in a job:redface:
ps also above poster, i love your "u no poo" in the signature:smile:
Reply 9
xkatb15x
id like to change my mind i just did some work experience and i was always told actuarial work was boring and i dont really like statistics but i really liked it, and it also gives me the money i was looking for in a job:redface:
ps also above poster, i love your "u no poo" in the signature:smile:

Thanks, I hope it doesn't induce epileptic fits for anyone :redface:
I can't believe no one has voted for statistics yet :frown: I would have if I'd seen it before actuarial. This is what I normally do in exams as well, just dive in before reading the whole questions lol. Not good.
I love Maths but I have NO idea what I want to pursue as a career :s-smilie: I definitely don't want to be a teacher, can't bear the thought of spending my entire in a school environment, and an office job really doesn't appeal to me. I'm not particularly money-driven, unlike my prospective-investment-banking friends, ideally I would like to do something creative. Hmmm perhaps I should rethink my choice of course (before I start this October :confused: )
If I do well enough, and can afford it, postgrad.
Reply 12
After i complete my MSci, i'll probs work in finance (actuarial work or IB the obvious ones). But At first i'll probs apply to all types of high-finance jobs in the city, that pay well, i.e actuarial/IB/hedge funds/prop trading etc.
Reply 13
PhD (which I'm doing at the moment) and then either academia or quantitative finance.
Reply 14
I've changed my mind. I put acturial but I like the idea of doing a postgraduate degree. I don't really know to be honest... I guess I've got four years to decide.
none of them sound very good to be honest, research may be OK, but doesn't really feel that fab
MatchDancer
none of them sound very good to be honest, research may be OK, but doesn't really feel that fab

What are you doing in this sub-forum then? :biggrin:
Tazman123
I'd love to teach if I knew there could be some sort of career progression as I think I'm an awesome teacher but I just don't see how you can progress in the field. And the kids won't give alot of thanks so not only do you not get the financial rewards of other fields but you don't get much reward at all.

There is a plan called "Teach First" where you basically teach for two years then go and work for Deloitte. Teach First (HQ at Canary Wharf) hire the best uni grads (1/3 from Oxbridge) and place them in the toughest neighbourhood to teach. In the mean while you have training as an accountant and then proceed to work for Deloitte and get your CPA/ACA or whatever. After that you can be ungrateful and quit and work for banks :wink:
Tazman123, which hall is your first choice?
Everyone in TSR somehow despise Accountancy, despite it being a stable job with sure promotion. I mean, if audit is boring then that's understandable, but you can be a tax consultant for blue chips as well and that's gonna be quite respectable rite?

Latest