The Student Room Group

Can't get a girlfriend

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by infumed
Sometimes on the street or in a cafe like costa or something lol. Im nearly always in the hospital so don't go out much, but i asked a ward pharmacist out the other day. Lool it went incredibly bad, with a very clear rejection. I think the awkwardness is too much for me to ask out anyone at work from now on...

I think work is a good place to start. Especially in a busy career where you don't have loads of time to have a life outside of it.

My last workplace was similar in terms of long work hours, high stress etc. As a result, the place was almost incestous. Everyone ended up pairing off since they new and accepted they wouldn't meet someone outside of work.

I think the key is to not approach a stranger out of the blue. Build a casual relationship, get to know them, eventually go for coffee, pizza etc.
Reply 101
Original post by CHEETS
I don't think your situation is that unusual AT ALL. 26 is certainly not to old to be getting started among the people I usually hang out with. We clearly move in the same circles.

As for tinder, my ex-colleague is getting married to someone she met on tinder last year. I highly doubt that ALL girls on Tinder want a one night stand (pretty unlikely, lets be honest). Make it clear you want something long-term and you'll have floods of interest.

The reason I asked about the parents is that even if they don't lock you in a cage at night, they may have a subconscious influence on your choices. I know mine do. Whenever I do something I know my mum wouldn't approve of, I uncannily see her stern expression in my minds eye (and carry on anyway). It can be off-putting and stop you approaching people at all. Maybe they pushed the whole medic and career thing and enforced on you the view that anything non-study related is a distraction and will lead to your downfall? Do you live at home. Is there anywhere you could take a girl that you met? Is that what's stopping you?

I think ill give tinder a go then, but it just never appealed to me coz it just wasn't a romantic way of finding someone. I don't think i would get a thrill or buzz by going out with someone from tinder but i guess beggars can't be choosers lol

Yh i see what you mean about the parents issue. I have my own place but my mum lives with me. The reason is that she doesn't really have anywhere else to live and you can't exactly tell your mother to leave. She is arab and i guess would be very uneasy with me bringing a girl home for anything more than JUST dinner. I guess i hadn't really thought of that...
Reply 102
Original post by CHEETS
I think work is a good place to start. Especially in a busy career where you don't have loads of time to have a life outside of it.

My last workplace was similar in terms of long work hours, high stress etc. As a result, the place was almost incestous. Everyone ended up pairing off since they new and accepted they wouldn't meet someone outside of work.

I think the key is to not approach a stranger out of the blue. Build a casual relationship, get to know them, eventually go for coffee, pizza etc.

Yh but ur a girl (i think) and its FAR easier for girls to have a relationship than guys. Ive already been rejected twice from asking out someone at work and i don't think i could bare to look at them again. If i ask out anyone else, and get rejected (which, in all honesty, is the more likely answer) things will be mega awkward at work, and i just couldn't work like that.
Reply 103
Original post by infumed
I think ill give tinder a go then, but it just never appealed to me coz it just wasn't a romantic way of finding someone. I don't think i would get a thrill or buzz by going out with someone from tinder but i guess beggars can't be choosers lol

Yh i see what you mean about the parents issue. I have my own place but my mum lives with me. The reason is that she doesn't really have anywhere else to live and you can't exactly tell your mother to leave. She is arab and i guess would be very uneasy with me bringing a girl home for anything more than JUST dinner. I guess i hadn't really thought of that...

Tinder basically strips down dating to its evolutionary basics - looks first, then convo, then next steps. If anything, it simplifies the whole process. Romance is for movies, not real life. Lower your expectations of romantic relationships.

No, you can't get your mum to leave. Just maybe have a plan in case things get that far.
Reply 104
Original post by infumed
Yh but ur a girl (i think) and its FAR easier for girls to have a relationship than guys. Ive already been rejected twice from asking out someone at work and i don't think i could bare to look at them again. If i ask out anyone else, and get rejected (which, in all honesty, is the more likely answer) things will be mega awkward at work, and i just couldn't work like that.

Kind of hard for a (straight) girl to have a relationship without a guy ! Kind of a one to one correspondence there.

What I meant is: give up the asking out, its abrupt and formal. Just get to know people you like and let things move naturally.
Stop caring so much about studys and uni then ull get a girl Bra ,ahahhaa
You suck M8 ahhaah Be a rapper Medicine is too easy
Reply 107
Original post by CHEETS
Kind of hard for a (straight) girl to have a relationship without a guy ! Kind of a one to one correspondence there.

What I meant is: give up the asking out, its abrupt and formal. Just get to know people you like and let things move naturally.

Hahaha what i meant was that its just easier to not get rejected as a girl. As a guy you literally have to impress the girl to get her number whereas its tremendously easier for a girl.

Ive been trying to let things move naturally for 26 years. I never actually asked out girls since relatively recently. I think tinder as strange and weird as it is for me, is literally the only option i have now. I don't know what it is about getting a girl, but its literally one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I'm a doctor!
"Don't go finding love.Love will come finding you":dots:it works.trust me:smile:
Original post by infumed

You seem to be quite inexperienced with girls so you probably dilly dally in your chats. Get a system and stick to it, number close within first/second irl chat or within 5-10 messages for tinder.

Once your approach is to a normal standard you need to fix logistics. You won't get anywhere with your mom around guaranteed. I understand she might not feel good about it but she's living in your house so it is irrelevant. Surely you can ask her to make herself scarce for the odd night when need be.
Reply 110
Original post by Jebedee
You seem to be quite inexperienced with girls so you probably dilly dally in your chats. Get a system and stick to it, number close within first/second irl chat or within 5-10 messages for tinder.

Once your approach is to a normal standard you need to fix logistics. You won't get anywhere with your mom around guaranteed. I understand she might not feel good about it but she's living in your house so it is irrelevant. Surely you can ask her to make herself scarce for the odd night when need be.

i DONT want a one night stand, or sex on the first date or anything. I want a girlfriend and just someone to chill with. Sex and stuff comes later and the logistics can be worked out at the time. But do you think all girls would want to have sex asap after first/ second date? I was thinking maybe a month or two done the line...
Show em how much you earn. You'll have em waiting in a line. Doesn't work with all of em though so just be cautious.
Reply 112
Original post by HuzaifahN
Show em how much you earn. You'll have em waiting in a line. Doesn't work with all of em though so just be cautious.

i doubt girls care about how much a guy earns or his job or anything. I reckon its all about how he flirts and his game. Thats something I'm genuinely rubbish at. Ive tried to improve but it just sounds fake
Original post by infumed
i DONT want a one night stand, or sex on the first date or anything. I want a girlfriend and just someone to chill with. Sex and stuff comes later and the logistics can be worked out at the time. But do you think all girls would want to have sex asap after first/ second date? I was thinking maybe a month or two done the line...

Doesn't matter. Whether you want a ONS or a girlfriend you need to build attraction by demonstrably pursue a physical relationship with her. Once she is invested (her investment is sex) then she'll be not only attracted to you but will be open to a relationship.

Unless you pursue that, you'll be in the friend zone because you would have been exhibiting the same behaviour as her male friends.

I don't know about girls from your culture but in general, with western girls if you don't sleep with them within the first 3-4 dates you never will.
Holy thread necromancy! How is it going OP, had any luck? I read the whole thing after finding this on Google and I'm in the exact same situation. Fully qualified doctor, ethnic minority (Australian-born Chinese), 31 years old and never dated. To make matters worse, I recently moved by myself to a small town and can't go out due to Covid. Just making new friends is a struggle at the moment, let alone asking a girl out (I've only ever tried with girls I've gotten to know though). With no friends or family to talk to and only small talk at work, the loneliness is starting to get to me... Heck, even someone to open up to about my social isolation would be such a relief.
Lots of ppl r in the same lockdown situation. And there are always dudes who haven't dated by 30..another example of an eternal thread lol!

U need to become more interesting to girls. Rlly as doctors (u and the OP four years before) u should have less problem than others who aren't professionals. U sound smart and self-aware which is part of the battle but now u need to act... the bottom line is u need to become more interesting to girls.

If u r stumped for how to be Mr. Interesting then u can use ur knowledge to be the macabre CSI geek or mortician in a group and tell ppl interesting things about corpse decomposition or the ppl with embedded sextoys or candiru fishes who r treated in the ER u know things like that.
5 years on did you ever find your girl?
^ I really hope you did that idea you had about having children young to have enough energy to play with them and be there for them was so touching omg 🥺 even if you didn’t I’m sure your wife whenever you find her will take care of you well enough so that you’ll be evergreen haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending