The Student Room Group

1 Month unpaid trial

Hello people,

I have received the job offer with investments, more in particular explaining individuals and businesses about the markets and help them to invest.
But before I land the paid job position I have to go through 1 month unpaid job trial, to see whether I like the working environment and if the employer is happy with my contribution, by the way they cover the travel cost. Is it normal here in London, or 1 month is too much?

Appreciate your answers on this one,

Cheers !
Didn't know that was legal...
eh...usually job trials are about three days long. :lol:

Maybe it differs for investment banks but I've never heard of this one before.
Original post by EricPiphany
Didn't know that was legal...

Yup, looking forward seeing other people response on to this one. As I am in the interview stages with other company and the trial would be for 3 days, which is paid and the company is more larger in size. 1 month sounds a little harsh for me and a little scam like.

Any other thoughts? :Z
Original post by thecatwithnohat
eh...usually job trials are about three days long. :lol:

Maybe it differs for investment banks but I've never heard of this one before.

It's for brokerage firm. :smile: And yes, 3 days sound completely awesome for me too.
What qualifications do you have so you can 'explain individuals and businesses about the markets and help them to invest'?

If you're genuine then name and shame the company so others don't fall for it. Reputable companies don't work like that.
Original post by NaturalProduct
Yup, looking forward seeing other people response on to this one. As I am in the interview stages with other company and the trial would be for 3 days, which is paid and the company is more larger in size. 1 month sounds a little harsh for me and a little scam like.

Any other thoughts? :Z

not really, I don't know much about these things. I just wanted to say something so that you would look into it if you haven't yet.
it does sound scam like though, they could just dismiss you after a month of free work.
Hello people,

I have received the job offer with investments, more in particular explaining individuals and businesses about the markets and help them to invest.
But before I land the paid job position I have to go through 1 month unpaid job trial, to see whether I like the working environment and if the employer is happy with my contribution, by the way they cover the travel cost. Is it normal here in London, or 1 month is too much?

Appreciate your answers on this one,

Cheers !

It's probs a scam OP. I'd shop around for a more reputable firm. Your description of 300+ calls a day makes me believe it's one of those boiler room-esque operations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
A bit long, but at least you can put it on your CV?!
Mate leave it....done shyt like that back in the day. Based in a fancy rented office by any chance? Are they regulated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincePauper
Mate leave it....done shyt like that back in the day. Based in a fancy rented office by any chance? Are they regulated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The interview process itself was quite strange for me, I've motivated them with my possible contribution and the achievements I can implement, but the guy was like interested, like not. And when he said it's a month trial (from the logic side it's long unpaid period, I would certainly understand the week.) and you can start any time you want, even though before that he said it's hundreads of applicant joining them and they are looking for one. In my own country I could see the guys straight through who try's to sell you a scam, don't know the situation here, so wanted to make sure.

And yes indeed, fancy suit, big white smile, good looking offices, unfortunately didn't see his car... haha :smile:

Where did you end up doing this ? Got the job?
Sounds like a scam tbh. Theyd probably get u to sign a contract then remove u after a month
We have a legal minimum wage in this country. Please don't be stupid enough to work for free. Companies have probation periods precisely for the purpose of seeing 'whether you like the working environment and if the employer is happy with your contribution', but you'll be paid for the time you do work. Tell us the name of the company.
The interview process itself was quite strange for me, I've motivated them with my possible contribution and the achievements I can implement, but the guy was like interested, like not. And when he said it's a month trial (from the logic side it's long unpaid period, I would certainly understand the week.) and you can start any time you want, even though before that he said it's hundreads of applicant joining them and they are looking for one. In my own country I could see the guys straight through who try's to sell you a scam, don't know the situation here, so wanted to make sure.

And yes indeed, fancy suit, big white smile, good looking offices, unfortunately didn't see his car... haha :smile:

Where did you end up doing this ? Got the job?

You will be cold calling. If you're lucky you will have a few warm leads. These are the sort of broker jobs you find on gumtree. There will be one in one out every week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Run. Know your self-worth. Large corporates and reputable companies never do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
That's too long for a trial, it shouldn't be that long..

Trials shouldn't be more than a day. And you should be paid
I had a one week trial. But ive never heard of a 1 month trial
Bucket shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending