The Student Room Group

Farm work experience??

I am in year 11 and completing more work experience in a veterinary clinic this summer. I know in order to apply to a vet school in a few years time I need other kinds of work experience including on a farm. Just wondering whether anyone had any tips on finding farm work experience as I have no idea how to go about it! I live in the south of england not in a particularly rural area. Any ideas will be appreciated :smile:
It sounds obvious, but don't underestimate the power of Google :tongue: . If searching '(Location) dairy/poultry/beef farm' isn't bringing up anything useful, try searching for something like '(Location) local milk/ice cream/cheese/eggs/beef' etc instead.

Go into butchers and ask which farms (or abattoirs) they get their meat from. Farmers' markets are also good places to make enquiries.

Use networking. If you can get experience at an urban farm, for example, you may meet people that can give you contacts. I was always happy to give out contacts to fellow vet hopefuls, so it's worth asking people you meet if they can help out. Similarly going on a large animal vet placement could introduce you to a few possible places.

Lambing is probably one of the easiest farmy placements to get. The National Sheep Association publishes a list of farms looking for students in around December time each year.

Hope that helped :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It sounds obvious, but don't underestimate the power of Google :tongue: . If searching '(Location) dairy/poultry/beef farm' isn't bringing up anything useful, try searching for something like '(Location) local milk/ice cream/cheese/eggs/beef' etc instead.

Go into butchers and ask which farms (or abattoirs) they get their meat from. Farmers' markets are also good places to make enquiries.

Use networking. If you can get experience at an urban farm, for example, you may meet people that can give you contacts. I was always happy to give out contacts to fellow vet hopefuls, so it's worth asking people you meet if they can help out. Similarly going on a large animal vet placement could introduce you to a few possible places.

Lambing is probably one of the easiest farmy placements to get. The National Sheep Association publishes a list of farms looking for students in around December time each year.

Hope that helped :smile:

Yes that's great, thank you!
When trying to to contact people to get work experience, I strongly recommend ringing over writing a letter/email; farmers often forget to reply to or lose letters and most of them seem to prefer a phone call. You can also ask them questions like what you should bring, if they feed you, how long you get for lunch, start/finish times etc. :biggrin:
Original post by ellenjess
I am in year 11 and completing more work experience in a veterinary clinic this summer. I know in order to apply to a vet school in a few years time I need other kinds of work experience including on a farm. Just wondering whether anyone had any tips on finding farm work experience as I have no idea how to go about it! I live in the south of england not in a particularly rural area. Any ideas will be appreciated :smile:

It's great that you are looking for farm experience!!! I just got a placement at a farm for the Easter holidays and what i did was write a few short letters stating why i wanted the experience, interests etc. Or you could try calling up the farm. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending