Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham PGCE Offer Holders 2016-17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by s_1806
My subjects English :smile: I've gotten so much more excited for September after seeing all the posts on here!

I know, living off campus will take a bit longer to sort out but I defs think it will be worth it :smile:.. Some of the houses round Gilesgate look lovely! Where abouts are you from/living atm?

Hello from the other person looking for housemates!

I did a quick enquiry about a few three-bed houses and although they were super helpful the agents were saying how they didn't have many houses left! I don't know if that's tactics or reality but it's properly stressed me out haha.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by BethKob

I did a quick enquiry about a few three-bed houses and although they were super helpful the agents were saying how they didn't have many houses left! I don't know if that's tactics or reality but it's properly stressed me out haha.

Haha helloo :smile:

Aw no, fingers crossed that was just sales tactics! I know, it's so stressful not having it sorted yet.. I'm the exact same! When do most of the house contracts start?
Reply 42
Original post by s_1806

Aw no, fingers crossed that was just sales tactics! I know, it's so stressful not having it sorted yet.. I'm the exact same! When do most of the house contracts start?

I believe July 1st.

Where are you based now?
Reply 43
Original post by BethKob
I believe July 1st.

Where are you based now?

Ah great :smile: I'm from Newcastle so I'm really nearby anyway, but would definitely prefer to move to Durham instead of commuting! How about you?
Reply 44
Me too! Especially now that Durham has sent us the link to all the HASE documents and everything and the Facebook groups are set up it's really starting to seem real! :smile:

I think it will be worth it too! I've got a few friends doing the PGCE this year (not at Durham tho) who've said that it's best to have a place off campus given the course load. There definitely are some nice houses around Gilesgate and they're so convenient to the School of Education. I'm from Northern Ireland so I'm still over here at the minute but looking forward to meeting everyone at the pre-course day in June :smile: Do you have Facebook?
Reply 45
Original post by Rach-AM
Me too! Especially now that Durham has sent us the link to all the HASE documents and everything and the Facebook groups are set up it's really starting to seem real! :smile:

I think it will be worth it too! I've got a few friends doing the PGCE this year (not at Durham tho) who've said that it's best to have a place off campus given the course load. There definitely are some nice houses around Gilesgate and they're so convenient to the School of Education. I'm from Northern Ireland so I'm still over here at the minute but looking forward to meeting everyone at the pre-course day in June :smile: Do you have Facebook?

Ah that's made me feel loads better about it! Yess it should be so good meeting everyone in June, I'm really looking forward to it too 😊 Yeah of course, what's your surname and il add you?!
Reply 46
Original post by s_1806
Ah that's made me feel loads better about it! Yess it should be so good meeting everyone in June, I'm really looking forward to it too 😊 Yeah of course, what's your surname and il add you?!

It's Kane, tho I might be a bit tricky to find. If you can see the list of members in the Durham PGCE Primary group you'll probably be able to find me there easy enough :smile: What's your name?
Reply 47
Original post by BethKob

Hey Beth! Was going to send you a FB message about this soon. That's crazy that people are already saying there's not many left...eep. But there will have to be more coming free soon after all there has to be a lot of student rents given the number of students at Durham university and there's always people leaving so there should be more soon, fingers crossed!!!
Reply 48
Original post by Rach-AM
It's Kane, tho I might be a bit tricky to find. If you can see the list of members in the Durham PGCE Primary group you'll probably be able to find me there easy enough :smile: What's your name?

Ah yeah, apparently there are a lot of Kane's on Facebook haha! It's Sara Brignall, I think I should be the only one that comes up :smile:
Original post by s_1806
Ah yeah, apparently there are a lot of Kane's on Facebook haha! It's Sara Brignall, I think I should be the only one that comes up :smile:

Hmmm I don't think I've any info on a Facebook group or anything :frown:
I've requested to join the Durham PGCE primary 16/17 group on Facebook but hadn't heard anything about being accepted so I thought I'd double check after reading this thread and it looks like I've not been accepted or maybe I forgot to request so I've sent another, hopefully get accepted haha! I feel so out of the loop. currently being in New Zealand I'm not able to apply for student finance yet and I am having difficulties as the university is classing me as an overseas student due to having my interview via Skype. Coming home in 6 weeks and can't wait to get everything sorted and start finding out more information!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Rach-AM
Hey Beth! Was going to send you a FB message about this soon. That's crazy that people are already saying there's not many left...eep. But there will have to be more coming free soon after all there has to be a lot of student rents given the number of students at Durham university and there's always people leaving so there should be more soon, fingers crossed!!!

Being at Durham currently I thought I might be able to help. Basically what they're saying is right. I was looking for a house a few weeks ago and it was the same. They told me that they didn't expect to get any more houses come free. There are still some out there if you look, I can tell you some of the good estate agents to contact if you want. The issue is all the freshers and second years sign so early it means that by February there isn't much left. But we are always being told there are more houses than students in Durham. Otherwise there are private halls which are more expesnive than a house but still cheaper than a college. There are about 3/4 in the city, one in gilesgate. Sorry if I've been the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't worry too much, the houses which are there are likely to stay for a while :smile:
Original post by BethKob

Original post by s_1806

Original post by SarahMH
Being at Durham currently I thought I might be able to help. Basically what they're saying is right. I was looking for a house a few weeks ago and it was the same. They told me that they didn't expect to get any more houses come free. There are still some out there if you look, I can tell you some of the good estate agents to contact if you want. The issue is all the freshers and second years sign so early it means that by February there isn't much left. But we are always being told there are more houses than students in Durham. Otherwise there are private halls which are more expesnive than a house but still cheaper than a college. There are about 3/4 in the city, one in gilesgate. Sorry if I've been the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't worry too much, the houses which are there are likely to stay for a while :smile:

There are stillplenty of student houses to rent. Have a look here:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Durham-City-Centre.html?sortType=1&minBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&radius=3.0&index=10
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by SarahMH

Ah okay, good to know from someone who's there! Yeah that would be helpful knowing the good agents as it can make all the difference.
Reply 54
Original post by BethKob
Ah okay, good to know from someone who's there! Yeah that would be helpful knowing the good agents as it can make all the difference.

I would look at these ones:
Evenmore properties
Sturents
Hope estates
Harringtions
Robinsons
Morgan Douglas
Rise
Bill Free homes

They're all the ones I can think of. You will find one, some of them are really helpful and will keep you on the books so if anymore come up they'll let you know
Original post by SarahMH
I would look at these ones:
Evenmore properties
Sturents
Hope estates
Harringtions
Robinsons
Morgan Douglas
Rise
Bill Free homes

They're all the ones I can think of. You will find one, some of them are really helpful and will keep you on the books so if anymore come up they'll let you know

Hi!!
I'm very late to join this party... Is there a Facebook group?
I am beginning to panic so I haven't thought about accommodation, primary placement etc!! I'm coming from Belfast!
Original post by BethKob

Hi!!

I haven't managed to get onto the Facebook group and I'm really panicking that I don't have accommodation sorted and I'm coming from Belfast, anyone know the best first move to make??
Hey all, I'm starting Primary PGCE in September and just wondering what your thoughts have been on living out compared to college accommodation? Did you struggle to find housemates/a house to rent if you lived out? Just trying to decide what the best option is!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest