The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrojanH
Any ideas for predictions on: depression, addiction, aggression, relationships, eating behaviour and gender?

Relationships : breakdown and sexual selection
Eating: neural mechanisms and biological explanations of an eating disorder
Gender: the role of genes and hormones in gender development, gender dysphoria (although gender is weird cos they repeat everything.
You need to revise everything though, you never can tell.
My you tube channel has videos for some of these, it's called Psychology Students.
Good luck
Original post by NatalieUK
If i'm writing an essay on social learning theory, after I've wrote 'social learning theory' the first time can I shorten it to 'SET' for the rest of the essay?

Yeah, SLT is fine after the first time
Is anyone just learning the loopa essays because they are a*answers anyway? Because my teacher told us not to as the examiners have realised and will dock marks from a* answers if they believe they have been learnt from not the students own work. However I think he may just be paranoid. Any thoughts?
Original post by pentagonath
Am I the only person who is planning on just using cultural bias as every single IDA more or less?

There are a few and they are all easy to just throw into a conclusion, culture bias is more an evaluation of an individual study, rather than a approach to psychology so from what I've been told wouldn't be IDA worthy. Some examples of IDA's are:

Nature/Nurture
Hard(biological)/Soft determinism Vs Free Will
Reductionist - Holistic (e.g. the biological approach ignores other approaches such as behaviourism, which states (gender, aggression, etc) is learnt through classical and operant conditioning, a more holistic approach would paint a truer picture)
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Is anyone just learning the loopa essays because they are a*answers anyway? Because my teacher told us not to as the examiners have realised and will dock marks from a* answers if they believe they have been learnt from not the students own work. However I think he may just be paranoid. Any thoughts?

Loopa essays have been around for ages and you have to remember that these exam markers are regular people and aren't stupid, so they are aware that these essays are out there. I don't know how much truth there is behind your teacher's comment but would it really kill you to actually revise and understand the topic as opposed to rote memorising an essay that they will probably see 100 times over. And some examiners can get tetchy, I had a friend at AS, received an E on an exam script because of the examiner.. after remarking he got a B.
Original post by calbrad140
There are a few and they are all easy to just throw into a conclusion, culture bias is more an evaluation of an individual study, rather than a approach to psychology so from what I've been told wouldn't be IDA worthy. Some examples of IDA's are:

Nature/Nurture
Hard(biological)/Soft determinism Vs Free Will
Reductionist - Holistic (e.g. the biological approach ignores other approaches such as behaviourism, which states (gender, aggression, etc) is learnt through classical and operant conditioning, a more holistic approach would paint a truer picture)

Cultural bias is IDA.
Original post by A-LJLB
Cultural bias is IDA.

Youre prob right. Most people fail a-levels in our school so I never trust everything they have to say
Original post by calbrad140
Youre prob right. Most people fail a-levels in our school so I never trust everything they have to say

Haha I'm sure they're telling you what they believe to be true, but obviously IDA is Issues, debates and approaches - and cultural bias is an issue :smile:
Anyone have any notes/essays for addiction? My notes are a bit messy and confused :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beaverhausen
Loopa essays have been around for ages and you have to remember that these exam markers are regular people and aren't stupid, so they are aware that these essays are out there. I don't know how much truth there is behind your teacher's comment but would it really kill you to actually revise and understand the topic as opposed to rote memorising an essay that they will probably see 100 times over. And some examiners can get tetchy, I had a friend at AS, received an E on an exam script because of the examiner.. after remarking he got a B.

I have learnt my own essays actually, just wondering whether there was any truth behind my teachers comments
Hey for a02/3 would examiners prefer e.g. 4 well developed long points or would they prefer maybe 6 short clear and structured points? or does it not matter
Reply 411
Is anybody here doing Addiction and Phobias for unit 4?
Original post by Blonde_Pretzel
What topics are you studying?

Sleep and Bio Rhythms, Relationships and Aggression for Psya3
and Media and Schizophrenia for Psya4
Does anyone have any tips for actually revising the essays for unit three (the first a2) exams because I've made plans and I'm trying to memorise them but they're just not sticking in my head 😞😞
Acronyms. I used this technique and the information automatically stuck to my head.
Original post by Naveed Rahman
Sleep and Bio Rhythms, Relationships and Aggression for Psya3
and Media and Schizophrenia for Psya4

Relationships: breakdown and sexual selection are high contenders (but obvs revise them all)
Not sure about the other topics... Has your teacher given you their opinion yet?
Anyone have A* notes on gender, schizophrenia and addiction please? Struggling so bad currently :|
Original post by qwertyuipdoe

Paranoid. Every year they say the same thing to stop students from just "memorising" essays but unfortunately A2 is all a memory game whether AQA or the teachers like to admit it or not. If you think examiners really go out there way to "dock" marks - you have to remember they mark using the mark scheme and if the essays in front of them have the points the mark scheme is after then they have to score you accordingly.

Also - examiners see hundreds, possibly thousands of exam papers over and over all writing about the same question, using the same key studies and often the exact same evaluation points so trying to distinguish where it has come from isn't as easy as they make out - students could be making the exact same sentences using textbooks too remember. It's all scare tactics.
Reply 418
Original post by fastandfurious
Anyone have A* notes on gender, schizophrenia and addiction please? Struggling so bad currently :|

http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html
Reply 419
Hi Guys

does anyone have any notes for

"Discuss disruption of biological rhythms, for example shift work/jet lag (24 marks)"

I'm struggling with my line of argument, Currently I have Knutsson for beefing out my A01 for shift work

I'm using Krueger (lack of SWS = less white blood cells and decreased immune system effectiveness, therefor supporting Knutsson)

However I'm missing an A01 study for jet lag, Could I use Recht and then argue in A02 that 1 individual could have carried the teams and that using american baseball teams wins vs losses could not be a consistent way of measuring the effect of disruption as 1 team could have had better sleeping conditions on the planes and had better training for adjustments to circadian rhythms than the other?

Latest